OA Beauty Tips

To celebrate the appearance of more Booty Parlour cosmetics on LoveHoney, I wanted to start a thread about beauty. What little things help you feel beautiful, be they out of tube or in your five day.

Are there any tips and tricks you live by?

I'll admit to using the supermodel trick to tackle tired eyes: dabbing on hemorrhoid cream. Not very glam, I know, but it really works. I also swear by egg white face masks and eating lots of fruit and nuts (the chocolate bar doesn't count) I also make a heated oil treatment for my hair by simply popping some olive oil into the microwave.

We've had a thread on the pros and cons on cosmetics in the bedroom: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-tips-and-advice/146136-makeup-and-sex-a-good-combination/

But I woud like to tease out some knowledge from you sexy people.

Beauty Parlour goodies include:

A cheek and lip stain: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18730

Body Shimmer: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18009

Plumping Aphrodisiac Lip Glosses: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18733

I'm not so keen on the body shimmer but I do like the look of the gloss. The packaging reminds me of a very particular brand but I don't know if they're worth the price. The solid perfume appears to have rave reviews though and if the Booty Parlour rep is anything to go by, I might be tempted to try their Honey scented Body lotion. Yum.

I know its overrated - but moisturise. I'm 21 and I live by moisturiser, if I don't have my Norweigan formula im my bag I feel lost. Getting worry lines already. Make sure to moisturise your neck too, otherwise you'll just end up with a wrinkly neck!

Also slapping loads of body moisturiser on your feet, putting on a pair of socks and going to sleep. Soft feet in the morning.

But I think the best beauty tip I've ever been given is always apply foundation with a brush, liquid and stick alike. You use a lot less (which is good when it costs £25) and it gives you a much more natural coverage.

Oh and keep those brushes clean!

Oooo where do you use the hemorrhoid cream round the eye and what particular brand do u use..... i'm 28 and my eyes can look more like 88 on times =S. Who cares about glamness, behind closed doors I want to stop looking like a cross between a panda and a hamster =P.

One thing I always use when i put on make up is a dark brown eye shaddow on my eye brows, I have tried brow pencils but they just look automatically drawn on and therefore an extra from Lazy Town =S. I find it much easier and faster to use to plus if u make a mistake u can brush it off.

Gwennie wrote:

I know its overrated - but moisturise. I'm 21 and I live by moisturiser, if I don't have my Norweigan formula im my bag I feel lost. Getting worry lines already. Make sure to moisturise your neck too, otherwise you'll just end up with a wrinkly neck!

Deffo, I live by suncream. I've got ivory skin so I don't go without it. Great moisturiser for me too!

Malteser81 wrote:

Oooo where do you use the hemorrhoid cream round the eye and what particular brand do u use..... i'm 28 and my eyes can look more like 88 on times =S. Who cares about glamness, behind closed doors I want to stop looking like a cross between a panda and a hamster =P.

One thing I always use when i put on make up is a dark brown eye shaddow on my eye brows, I have tried brow pencils but they just look automatically drawn on and therefore an extra from Lazy Town =S. I find it much easier and faster to use to plus if u make a mistake u can brush it off.

Hi Malteaser, I use Anusol sometimes I pat it on quite thick and leave it on. Other times I put a thin layer on that sinks into the skin. Works a treat and then you can pop some concealer on top. Get someone else to buy it for you like I did External Media

It's also good for reducing the redness of blemishes. But toothpaste is a great for that job too.

Oh thank you TL, have no problems buying that stuff tbh, I always manage to shame myself no matter what I do so may as well do it on purpose lol.

Another discovery ive made is using Clearasil blackhead remover pads night and day, keeps my oily skin under control, elimates pianfull blackheads I seem to suffer with and stops red patches. Unfortunatly I keep forgetting to use them, must get bk in the habbit as want lovely skin now summer is coming (she hopes)

I've always said to figure out what you need and get away with as little as possible.

I have good skin, but it's oily, so I use a little translucent powder to make my face dry, then a little coral blusher to give me back the colour. Plus black eyeliner and mascara as I have such pale eyelashes my eyes disappear. A touch of eyebrow pencil for the same reason and maybe some colour on my eyelids just because I like bright colours hehe!

That's all the make up I wear, tbf, it started as just mascara and I kind of had to build it up from there when the skin got oily but really, it takes me ten minutes to do and gives me tons more confidence so why not. Plus it's practically invisible apart from the colourful eye lids :)

As for actual beauty tips - I should follow them more than give them - I'm really bad! I do drink tons of water and avoid sleeping in make up, I use simple baby wipes (very gentle on the skin) to remove my make up and try not to overclean my face as it can damage the skin. I prefer to wash in just plain water for my face as chemicals just aren't good and water is just as cleansing but I do occasionally use a cleansing cream for a booster.

My best tip is to keep a mini mascara, eyeliner, mirror and lipgloss - or better still a coloured balm (less shiny) in your bag! A good lippie can be used on eyes, cheeks and lips if you need to look glam in a rush and eyeliner and mascara will instantly make your eyes look dressier.

You can guarantee the one day I go out without make up is the one time WandA wants to go into town last minute - scousers always look incredibly made up 100% of the time so I have to have a little bit of armour before I can face town :P

Ax

Ohh one final thing....Touch Eclat from YSL is the most amazing thing in existance - just a shame I can't afford it right now :(

Ax

Seconding the moisturiser thing. And keep trying until you find one that suits you! I have awful skin - annoying dermatitis in patches making it dry and raw, drowning in oil in others - and used to not use moisturiser for fear of making the oily bits oilier (that doesn't look like a word at all, does it?). Went through hell dealing with the dry patches, and they only got worse.

Eventually found a lovely place that sold more natural skincare stuff and other lovelies (dunno if I'm allowed "advertise"), and spent yonks chatting to a saleslady. Eventually landed on one that is soothing enough on the dry patches that i only have to use my medicated cream for rare super-break-outs, and wasn't oily enough to be annoying on the oily patches. In fact, using the moisturiser actually reduced the excessive oils, which makes no sense logically (wet + wet = dry...?), but I guess it was all about finding the right one.

Can be an expensive process finding what one works for you, but totally worth it if you're in any way awkward. One tip for that is googling "free samples" and such like: many products will offer samples of new products, and I actually survived my whole student life without buying toothpaste because I had such a stash of freebies! That's how my mother found her moisturiser, she went through so many that i started gettingtonnes of samples sent to her, and one just clicked with her so much she's bought nothing else since.

I don't really wear any make up...just a dab of concealer on my spots in the day and if I'm going somewhere nice, eyeliner and lipstain!

Make up (for reasons I don't quite understand) looks rather silly on me ... I look a bit like a dolly It feels very wrong wearing it too...like it's a mask or something.

I've always been a tomboy and when I got to the age that I vaguely started to be interested in wearing make-up etc. my mum was too ill to teach me and learning from anyone else now just seems odd!

In terms of my skin care routine I use cheap vitamin E face wash from superdrug, panoxyl acne gel and boots no. 7 moisturiser. I have no idea if this is any good...I just sort of go with the products that don't irritate my skin and smell/feel nice!

I LOVE the body shop stuff but I can't affort to use it regularly...the only thing I do treat myself to is their strawberry body butter, it smells (but in case you were wondering, isn't) eddible!

xxKPxx

AdnaW wrote:

Ohh one final thing....Touch Eclat from YSL is the most amazing thing in existance - just a shame I can't afford it right now :(

Ax

Oh my goodnes, I would be lost without that stuff. It is very pricey though.

I like the minimal look too, AdnaW, I think men are keen on the natura look as wel. Every now and then I'll crack out the liquid eyeliner. When I do, I use a really tiny water colour brush to tidy it up.

I do really like the Benfit blusher Dandelion for a soft cheek. Other than that a bit of vaseline, concealer and mascara makes up my day to day look.

I definitely noticed a big improvement in my skin when I lived my the mantra :'your skin is not sink' and put a lot less product on it in general.

Tigerlilies wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

Oh my goodnes, I would be lost without that stuff. It is very pricey though.

I like the minimal look too, AdnaW, I think men are keen on the natura look as wel. Every now and then I'll crack out the liquid eyeliner. When I do, I use a really tiny water colour brush to tidy it up.

I do really like the Benfit blusher Dandelion for a soft cheek. Other than that a bit of vaseline, concealer and mascara makes up my day to day look.

I definitely noticed a big improvement in my skin when I lived my the mantra :'your skin is not sink' and put a lot less product on it in general.

that should be 'your skin is not a sink' even. whoops

BashfulBabe wrote:

Can be an expensive process finding what one works for you, but totally worth it if you're in any way awkward. One tip for that is googling "free samples" and such like: many products will offer samples of new products, and I actually survived my whole student life without buying toothpaste because I had such a stash of freebies! That's how my mother found her moisturiser, she went through so many that i started gettingtonnes of samples sent to her, and one just clicked with her so much she's bought nothing else since.

I do this - haven't bought a full price mascara in at least a year and a half (which for saying I wear it daily is pretty good) because I get freebies, things that are reduced (recently got a mascara with a damaged box - should have been over a tenner and it cost me £3.50!), or get them as gifts from WandA (who also searches for full sized freebies!).

Not as easy as walking into a shop and handing over money, but it's worth it if you're skint!

My issue is - being a student it's quite easy to get into the whole "it doesn't matter if I look like a tramp" idea!

Though I will never let myself go anywhere in PJs like some students do, it's easy to pull on jeans, boots and a hoody with no make up and just pulling my hood up instead of straightening my hair when I only have one lecture to go to!

The worst thing I've found for my skin is riding a motorbike in the winter! Wrecked my skin!

Ax

my beauty tip is don't wear too much make up on a day to day basis - then you've got something left for special occasions when you want to make an impact.

Oh and I'm another subscriber to cleanse & moisturise (toners make me sting - even alcohol free ones)

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

my beauty tip is don't wear too much make up on a day to day basis - then you've got something left for special occasions when you want to make an impact.

Oh and I'm another subscriber to cleanse & moisturise (toners make me sting - even alcohol free ones)

See I don't agree with this - I want to look my best and feel my most confident every single day External Media

Though I do layer more make up on for nights out - I do my eyes up every day and just add even more mascara, even more black eyeliner and lots of black eyeshadow plus foundation for nights out.

I just use clothes for the *wow* factor External Media I pride myself on nice "night out" clothes as I'm one of the few people I know who lives in bright colours and stupidly short skirts when I'm out External Media

Axx

Each to their own - whatever works

I think being confident is the best thing anyone can do to make themselves attractive - so whatever allows you to achieve it is good.

Fellas, let us know what makes you feel pretty too

AdnaW wrote:

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

See I don't agree with this - I want to look my best and feel my most confident every single day External Media

Though I do layer more make up on for nights out - I do my eyes up every day and just add even more mascara, even more black eyeliner and lots of black eyeshadow plus foundation for nights out.

Think that's kind of the point: it's not a black-and-white make-up or none choice, just havign a lighter "everyday" look and a more dramatic look for evenings or special occassions. Like, despite my skin hating me, I'm usually quite clear with an even tone, so I don't need foundation, so during the day I'll put on a creamy eyeshadow, small amount of mascara, and a dab of colour on my lips - barely a tint, really - and I look "done up", but with my skin able to breath, and completely different to when I put a coloured eyeshadow on and foundation and deper mascara and more lippy and so forth.

I just remember my sister always thinking that if you had a single pore exposed to the elements, you weren't putting effort into looking nice (not quite an "oompa loompa" girl, but not a kick in the arse off it!), and now she has horrific skin, so bad that she actually couldn't go out without putting an inch of foundation on to cover the spots and blotches.

Minimum you can get away with without it affecting your confidence is the key, really. And definitely leave the trowel in the shed, that's just never attractive.

Tigerlilies wrote:

I feel prettiest when I've exfoliated, shaved & moisturised & feel all soft & smoothe!

Well ive come to the fact (even though my OH says I look gorgeous without make up) that I need it. I put a pic up of me without make up on FB and a friend of mine didnt just say I look awfull but also stonned =S. With friends like these and all that =S

Tigerlilies wrote:

Nivea or Clinique aftershave balm and bodywise Made from Earth vitamin enriched moisturiser.

I love Karma soap from Lush too and their Peppermint foot cream and nearly everything from Lush to be honest, spend a fortune in there monthly.

SG x