Public/Hidden Profile

I’ve noticed this has been catching a few people out. :slightly_smiling_face: On the old site all of our profiles were pretty much public, but when we were all moved over here the default set us all to ‘Hidden’. And I think that’s true for all new members too.

It’s a bit deceptive as you can see your own profile whether it’s hidden or not, so you may not even realise. :slightly_smiling_face:

One of the main advantages of having it Public here is that everyone will be able to see your link back to the main site (if you’ve added it to your page), and can then see all your reviews and public wishlists. :+1: It’s not necessary if you’re only linking it up for Brenna to see for testers, as she has special gifts. :eyes::slightly_smiling_face: So there’s no need to have it public at all if you don’t want to.

If you do feel comfortable sharing, you can make it Public by unticking the box next to Hide my public profile and presence features on your Profile/Interfaces page (and Save Changes :+1:).

Mine is public if anyone wants to have a look at the sort of things it reveals before you decide. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

5 Likes

Pretty sure mine is public my box on hide my public profile is kind weird looking two different colors and doesn’t do anything if I click it.

@Enchantress29 it is showing as hidden to me. It is hard to see but if there is a black tick on top of the black box your profile will be hidden.

3 Likes

Thanks, think I fixed it

1 Like

Yep, I can see it now :+1:

1 Like

Is it worth pointing out that you can make your profile public, but reveal very little about yourself. Then people can see your reviews if they’re interested?

2 Likes

You can fill in as much or as little of your profile as you fancy. :+1: You can be vague with your location (mine’s UK :uk:), and choose to keep your blurb brief to limit any ‘real world’ info if you’re worried that those details would make you less anonymous.

Even if you’re profile is Hidden other users can still search for your posts (by adding an @ to your username in the search bar. Eg @Ian_Chimp), and you have a visible User Summary too. :+1:

3 Likes

@Ian_Chimp - might it be a good idea to sticky/pin this thread permanently, for the benefit of new members? I dunno whether that’s something only a mod can do, but I thought I’d run it past you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re overestimating my abilities. :slightly_smiling_face: But you can ask @Lovehoney_Brenna?

Though perhaps a better place for it would be to include it in the Welcome Topic in the suggested links?

Thanks for the heads up @Ian_Chimp :+1:

Spotted this on one of the other advice threads and (hopefully) changed my setting

1 Like

I can see you now. :eyes::slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I would add a real benefit to others of making your profile “public” is it helps to give background to your posts without you having to give that info every time. Eg, gender, sexual orientation and whether or not you’re in a relationship.

When posting people can then easily make sure their answers are relevant

3 Likes

@Ian_Chimp is mine private or public please? Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Yours is public, Jo
(by the way… “public” profiles are only visible to other members :wink:)

2 Likes

This could do with a bit of a rewrite now. :thinking: I’ll add it to the list. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Ah, no. It was updated already and added to the Welcome Topic:

@PleasureDrone @Ian_Chimp ok so does that mean that it can’t be found in google??:joy::joy:

That’s right. None of the user pages are crawled by Google (or other search engines). However your posts do show up in internet searches. :+1:

1 Like

Closing as old thread :slight_smile:

Info can be found here!

2 Likes