Sex Education in Schools

The latest sex in the news thread got me thinking about sex ed. (can't find a previous thread but do direct me if it exists)

Anyone care to share their stories? A lot of them involve bananas. I get very irate with the way sex is thought of in this country. I wish there was a way to put a bit more 'soul' into the way we discuss it at school instead of just 'here's how you do it now don't get pregnant and oh yes lesbians don't exist.' (or maybe that was just my school)

My first sex ed class took place in high school. They handed out Sugar magazine and free condoms *facepalm*

We were seperated from the boys a lot during sex ed, which I don't think is helpful. Sexuality wasn't really discussed - obviously everyone is straight. I think if schools were allowed to be more open and honest then sex education would be much more influential! I don't know if you saw a while ago that there was a big debate as to whether primary school children should be taught the proper names for their parts or if they should be left unlabled in diagrams. It's ridiculous, at the age of 5/6 they are asking you what their parts are called, why not give them the real name so they can refer to things correctly and encourage them to be able to talk openly?! Words like 'penis' or 'vagina' aren't offensive, it's the way that the words are used that make them offensive, which is not the goal of a 6 year old!

Innit.

Thinking back I found it strange that the male orgasm was a no holds barred subject but I don't think the female orgasm came up once, let alone the fact that there was such a thing called a clitoris. I really think if I hadn't been growing up in a home with a decent sex attitude and had broadband I would be very out of the loop.

I went to a catholic school so our sex ed was just about periods and ovulation :S

Really helpful! learned more in biology *rolls eyes*

i dont think we were ever told about a female orgasm, i remember learning about it in year 5 and watching a video with rabbits growing hair under their arms! lol! our teacher said that the man put his penis in between the legs of the woman - so for years i thought that was literally what happened and that the sperm crawled up your legs!!!! FAIL!

x

ours was more. " this is how its done" which was tackled in the science lessons, in terms of procreation. then "heres pictures of desiased penisises ( for girls) and deseased vaginas (for the boys) so dont touch them" oh and putting condoms on a big purple glittery dildo. they handed out the out of date condoms and were really very frightend that the kids nicked em! years later our head of year said he walked into his office that day, and found about 50 condom baloon animals! it was pushed a lot more in my year than those of my predecessors because one of the girls in my year got pregnant ( i think she was the first girl to do so in our school) but still they offered no contraception, no advice on the emotional sides of sex or anything like that. i think the most kinky stuff we talked about is what lubes you can use with condoms.

we were taught together in our form classes. what we wernt taught together though was checking of breasts and testicles, or anything to do with female menstration. yeah it would have been uncomfortable for some childeren, but as most lumps are found by partners it would have been good thing to do. also the lessons on menstration would have been more insightful for some of the boys. one of my mates was 17 before he was told about all of that ( by me and my sister) and he didnt have a clue bless him!

My first sex ed took place in primary school, we watched a telly series about it, which was quite obviously aimed at putting the fear of god into children about pregnancy and STD's galore!!!!

In secondary school all I remember about sex ed was being given a large test-tube from the science lab and a condom, and being told to administer one to the other! - No one liked how greasy the condoms felt and we all rushed off to the toilets to wash our hands afterwards! lol!!!

I didn't know about periods until year 6 (I was naive and sex ed just didn't occur 'til then!)

I didn't know about orgasms until I had one and I didn't really know what it was then. Then I kind of picked bits up in school and online (my sex ed teacher was pretty good even if he did look a bit like mario). I didn't really start making links between all the random bits I'd picked up though 'til I started talking to WandA .

My mum brought me up with a lot of "don't ever feel pressured to do anything, you're the most important person to yourself" and "you should always love yourself first before you can love another person" - I think she may have felt unloved in her first relationship and felt pressured so she wanted to ensure it never happened with me

Ax

Never had anything like that, Catholics don't use condoms so we were just told not to go there and you wont catch anything :O

Our 'Perseonal and Social Education' teacher had a regular breakdown in our sex education classes. She tried really hard but my form was full of numpties and gobshites. My most vivid memories include Darren Campbell wanking off in the class and rubbing his knob on Peter gatland's leg...funny as hell watching Peter (class nerd) completely flip out. I think it was when condoms filled with glue and sanitary towels painted red were being thrown round that the teacher just broke dowwn sobbing. It wasn't really until our biology classes that something sensible was discussed (age 15/16). To be fair there weren't many virgins in the room by then...

Come to think of it my school was pretty shit...

Actually it's surprising how many men are clueless about the basics until adulthood. I don't remember much of the whole time period concerned but I do remember that whenever the word 'sex' was mentioned in a co-ed situation the boys became extremely interested in something that was out of the window. Seems like a good idea to have some of it together but I think holding all the sex ed in a co-ed situation would put some people off asking questions and cause others to feel vulnerable. We did get the physical bits but without any input about relationships e.g. talk to your partner openly. Ask what he/ she likes inn an adult relationship and teell them what you do and do not enjoy.

They do 'how not to get pregnant and your options are presented typically as the pill or condoms, in high school it seems sensible to tell people what their options really are. They really need to give realistic advice on penis size, not 'here is a banana' (or a 10" purple vibe lol). When covering orgasm can we please say to (those of legal age) that many woman do not in fact see stars and orgasm JUST from having a penis inserted into the vagina? (I've discussed sex ed with quite a few people)

Oh, and how about 'pregnancy is not the worst thing you can develop as a result of unprotected sex'. For the upper years it may also be contructive to mention STI testing and for the girl/ women smears as something useful? I'd also like to see them mention miscarriage in along with the biology as in first pregnancies it's common. The individual teacher though makes a massive difference.

Puppies77 wrote:

Never had anything like that, Catholics don't use condoms so we were just told not to go there and you wont catch anything :O

To be fair that is true. Note officially catholics don't use condoms ;~)

Rowan wrote:

Puppies77 wrote:

Lol, yeah I know, they use the bum hole External Media

Just before i left school there was talk of putting condom machines in the toilets of schools. I school said it would not happen as it was a catholic school. I do think things need to move on. :(

AdnaW wrote:

I didn't know about periods until year 6 (I was naive and sex ed just didn't occur 'til then!)

I didn't know about orgasms until I had one and I didn't really know what it was then. Then I kind of picked bits up in school and online (my sex ed teacher was pretty good even if he did look a bit like mario). I didn't really start making links between all the random bits I'd picked up though 'til I started talking to WandA External Media.

My mum brought me up with a lot of "don't ever feel pressured to do anything, you're the most important person to yourself" and "you should always love yourself first before you can love another person" - I think she may have felt unloved in her first relationship and felt pressured so she wanted to ensure it never happened with me External Media

Ax

And I guess thats how you got that lovely talk about making sure you get pleasured and getting a vibe!

Well, at least she knows you're pleasured! External MediaCRINGE!

My sex ed class was rubbish.... we had a box to ask questions, the bastard never answered any of them.

So does anyone know how chickens have sex if they don't have penises? Or do they?

I?Puppies wrote:

Our 'Perseonal and Social Education' teacher had a regular breakdown in our sex education classes. She tried really hard but my form was full of numpties and gobshites. My most vivid memories include Darren Campbell wanking off in the class and rubbing his knob on Peter gatland's leg...funny as hell watching Peter (class nerd) completely flip out. I think it was when condoms filled with glue and sanitary towels painted red were being thrown round that the teacher just broke dowwn sobbing. It wasn't really until our biology classes that something sensible was discussed (age 15/16). To be fair there weren't many virgins in the room by then...

External MediaPoor sod,

Rowan wrote:

Puppies77 wrote:

Anyone else think the pope just doesn't get enough?

Unwanted pregnancy/HIV or condoms?

Only a bitter twisted sex deprived mind would make such an error in judgement.External Media

Puppies77 wrote:

I?Puppies wrote:

External MediaPoor sod,

She was a really nice lady - can't remember her name. We were a bunch of shits (some of us anyway - I was a good boy in school)

WandA wrote:

Rowan wrote:

Puppies77 wrote:

Anyone else think the pope just doesn't get enough?

Unwanted pregnancy/HIV or condoms?

Only a bitter twisted sex deprived mind would make such an error in judgement.External Media

Lmao

I?Puppies wrote:

She was a really nice lady - can't remember her name. We were a bunch of shits (some of us anyway - I was a good boy in school)

Yet you corrupted the lady Pups... External Media

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

I didn't know about orgasms until I had one and I didn't really know what it was then. Then I kind of picked bits up in school and online (my sex ed teacher was pretty good even if he did look a bit like mario). I didn't really start making links between all the random bits I'd picked up though 'til I started talking to WandA External Media.

My mum brought me up with a lot of "don't ever feel pressured to do anything, you're the most important person to yourself" and "you should always love yourself first before you can love another person" - I think she may have felt unloved in her first relationship and felt pressured so she wanted to ensure it never happened with me External Media

Ax

And I guess thats how you got that lovely talk about making sure you get pleasured and getting a vibe!

Nah that weren't about relationships as such, that was when she learned about me having pain during sex and was trying really hard to help - was so sweet really 'cause she was so embarrassed about it!

Ax