The frustrations of zero-polyamide lingerie shopping

Hey all, pretty long-time lurker, but first time poster. First of all, I appreciate this may be a bit of a strange topic coming from a male, but it is a problem that's been giving me and my OH a pretty frustrating time when it comes to lingerie shopping together.

The problem I'm referring to is a compound that's found almost across pretty much the entire lingerie market: Polyamide. Whilst most people don't have any issue with polyamide at all, my OH is one of the very few people who has a kind of allergic reaction to it whilst wearing it; normally in the form of flared up red areas where it's been worn. Not pleasant... Not only this, the garments in question can contain the smallest amount (as little as 15%), and we can see reactions happening. Oddly, it's a somewhat recent development, I've recommended that she talk to a GP about it on the off chance that it is just a passing thing.

In the mean time though, this throws a pretty massive spanner in the works when it comes to choosing lingerie considering such a big chunk of lingerie uses the stuff. Even if something may not be billed as 'polyamide lingerie', we've found that most lingerie has at least SOME polyamide in it. 0% polyamide underwear does exist, but we've found that it's mostly relagated to things like sports wear and comfort ranges... Something my OH doesn't necessarily find the most exciting or sexy. It really makes us both wish that Lovehoney could list the exact content of its lingerie to make shopping easier without needing to ask each time we see one that we like the look of.

Whilst we wait and see if the doctor has anything to add, is there anything people could recommend for us to help our searches? Are there any possible alternatives that we could be investigating? Is there a way to keep these reactions at bay? or are we a hopeless case? Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Has she tried taking an antihistamine tablet, any hayfever tablet would have this effect. I randomly develop allergies, peanuts, strawberries, metals, hair dye, sometimes they come on after a lifetime of being fine then suddenly i react to them. All but the peanut sensitivity has disappeared again, it's a very odd thing the human body and immune system.

Is the topic still current or has the allergy disappeared?

I second your frustration with Lovehoney's material listings - satin is not a material but a weave structure and lace means just "thread around holes". Have you tried to find 100% silk underwear? I mean silk as produced by bombyx mori (or another species of moth), not polyester satin...

I prefer cotton. I kind of hate polyester on my skin too and on occasions it does irritate me (normally my upper body though, not yet had issues with knickers). Luckily you can find some sexy cotton underwear too, unfortunately not on Lovehoney though. Their most famous competitor occasionally stocks some, but also clothing brands such as H&M and the likes normally have good quality and cheeky cotton items at reasonable prices.

VirginAngel wrote:

Has she tried taking an antihistamine tablet, any hayfever tablet would have this effect. I randomly develop allergies, peanuts, strawberries, metals, hair dye, sometimes they come on after a lifetime of being fine then suddenly i react to them. All but the peanut sensitivity has disappeared again, it's a very odd thing the human body and immune system.

I've looked into this and agree with VirginAngel. An antihistamine is the only thing I could come up with too!

Worth looking into the 100% satin for sure. Haven't checked that out yet. I can only begin to imagine your frustration! It's insane that everythig out there has it in it!!! Good luck and I hope someone finds you an answer.

Ozz wrote:

Worth looking into the 100% satin for sure. ...

NOT 100% satin. 100% SILK !!!

Sorry for shouting, but that's what I'm feeling a need to do right now, having googled 100% silk underwear, just out of curiosity, and ending up on a site that sells polyester satin ("which gives this wonderful silky feeling")...

Satin is a weave structure, like tabby (as for bed sheets) or twill (as for jeans). The confusion might stem from the fact that weavers like to weave silk in satin weave because it shows off the lustrous yarn to perfection. But the two terms - satin and silk - are otherwise completely unrelated.

Nobody would advertise jeans as made from twill or bed sheets from tabby, and I'd really, really like to see satin (and lace as a material) disappear from descriptions of lingerie. There's a European directive for the labelling of textiles http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32008L0121 which contains a list of all the fibres that can be used (scroll down to annex 1 - it's fascinating what's theoretically possible) and satin does not appear once in the document.

i didnt even know that this type of reaction to underwear existed :o

Talia wrote:

Sorry for shouting, but that's what I'm feeling a need to do right now, having googled 100% silk underwear, just out of curiosity, and ending up on a site that sells polyester satin ("which gives this wonderful silky feeling")...

Satin is a weave structure, like tabby (as for bed sheets) or twill (as for jeans). The confusion might stem from the fact that weavers like to weave silk in satin weave because it shows off the lustrous yarn to perfection. But the two terms - satin and silk - are otherwise completely unrelated.

Nobody would advertise jeans as made from twill or bed sheets from tabby, and I'd really, really like to see satin (and lace as a material) disappear from descriptions of lingerie. There's a European directive for the labelling of textiles http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32008L0121 which contains a list of all the fibres that can be used (scroll down to annex 1 - it's fascinating what's theoretically possible) and satin does not appear once in the document.

+1. Thank you.

Talia wrote:

Ozz wrote:

Worth looking into the 100% satin for sure. ...

+1 . If you key in "silk Lingerie" in your browser if will bring up a number of sites. Go into any of these and again key in" silk" it should take you there. Unfortunately for me to name specific companies wouldn't be fair to Love Honey . A Wealth warning though silk lingerie isn't cheap you can pay as much as £26.00 for a simple G string .

Personally I luv silk against my skin but being a pawper , I can only afford to buy the Mrs satin .

Hey PathToJoy

Sorry to hear about your troubles buying lingerie - that must be a bit of a nightmare!

We do actually list the material breakdown of all out garments, however it seems we have a bit of a tech bug happening where this information isn't showing online :/

I will get this looked into and, hopefully, we can get this resolved to make shopping with us a little easier for you!

Me bad! 100% silk...NOT SATIN!!

I'm sure she'd look just as sexy in some body jewelery! I know it's not the same but there are some lovely pieces out there and can drape beautifully over the skin.

mysteron wrote:

+1 . If you key in "silk Lingerie" in your browser if will bring up a number of sites. ...

Of course, lingerie, not underwear, my mistake... Found some sexy real silk items now. But I'm too tightfisted to buy them ;) (then again, it's only right that silk is expensive - silk worms die for it... ) But I might spend the money if I had an allergic reaction to polyamide - or anything else commonly found in lingerie and underwear. Seems a much healthier choice than constantly taking antihistamines...

No underwear at all would be the low-cost solution....