The Great Pub Quiz Game Thread

My Dad read it to me at bedtime when I was little. Took about a year.

Funnily enough, both you and @Ian_Chimp chose different answers to that one and both got the herrings.

1 Like

The monkeys definitely wrote her book then! :wink:

1 Like

How about these then? :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Le premier lundi du mois d’avril 1625, Le bourg de Meung où naquit l’auteur de Roman de la Rose, semblait être dans un révolution aussi entière qui si les huguenots en fussent venus faire une seconde Rochelle.

2. En un lugar de La Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo, de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor.

3. Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura ché la diritta via era smarrita.

1 Like

So this is from someone whose English teacher crossed out a page of work so violently with red pen it ripped the paper. :rage:

My Literature Answers
  1. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, JK Rowling
    c. Darkness settled over Little Whinging as the last of the streetlamps extinguished with a satisfying plink sound.

2. Nineteen Eighty Four, George Orwell
    a. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking one.
    (The clock striking thirteen though was a great episode of Captain Scarlet). :rainbow:

3. Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck
    b. The first rains after the dry season came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth, but nourished it back to health. Green was returning to California after months of dust. The land was being reborn, starting afresh.

4. Moby Dick, Herman Melville
    a. Call me Ishmael.

5. The GC: How to be a Diva, Gemma Collins
    a. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And that’s the way it stayed until God created Divas.

6. Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie
    a. Children, unlike adults, can believe wholeheartedly in all matter of absurdities.

7. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien
    a. At the end of the second week in September a cart came in through Bywater from the direction of Brandywine Bridge. An old man was driving it all alone. He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf.

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
    b. Mr Poe coughed into his handkerchief as he carefully made his way over the pebbles at Briny Beach.

9. The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
    b. I leant against the wall at the end of my front yard and took a deep breath. There are 12 steps from my front porch to the road and just taking those had been a struggle. Some days are easier than others, but today was not going to be one of those.

10. We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, Michael Rosen
    a. We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day! We’re not scared.

11. Matilda, Roald Dahl
    b. In a small room in a small house in a small town lived a small girl. In fact, the only thing not small about Matilda was her love of reading.

12. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
    (Might be getting mixed up here with Monty Python’s A Sale Of Two Titties :thinking:)
    a. It was the best of times it was the worst of times.

13. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon
    a. My eyes focused on the grass. You learn from childhood that grass is green and that’s just how it is. Tonight, this particular patch of grass was red.

1 Like

1, War and Peace?
2, Don Quixote?
3, No idea!
Extraplotated from key words i recognise!

1 Like

Love Captain Scarlet!

1 Like

Hmm, could be

Les Miserables
Don Quixote
Divina Commedia (Inferno)

1 Like

To be honest, I thought that last one was by Green Day. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can translate number one from French into English but don’t recognise it at all! The others, can probably tell you the language (Spanish and Italian).
Would guess at: Les Mis, Don Quixote and Dante’s Inferno.

Everyone is pretty solid on Don Quixote, and Dante’s Inferno too. The French one is Dumas’ The Three Musketeers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1. On the first Monday of the month of April, 1625, the small town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the ‘Romance of the Rose’, appeared to be in a state of revolution, as complete as if the Huguenots were come to make a second seige of La Rochelle

2. Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing.

3. Midway upon the journey of our life
    I found myself within a forest dark;
    For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

(for some reason I thought Dante’s Inferno started with something like ‘a fork in the road’, but I was mistaken. The Green Day joke has failed :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

Literature Quiz Answers!

1. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, JK Rowling
    a. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
    b. The sound of footsteps thundering down the stairs above Harry’s head startled him awake.
    c. Darkness settled over Little Whinging as the last of the streetlamps extinguished with a satisfying plink sound.

2. Nineteen Eighty Four, George Orwell
    a. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking one.
    b. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
    c. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking twelve.

3. Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck
    a. Without fail, the sound of crickets always reminded George of home. He smiled to himself. His happiest memories were of living on the farm with his aunt Martha and playing in the creek with his friends. He treasured those moments, hanging on to them during difficult times, times like these.
    b. The first rains after the dry season came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth, but nourished it back to health. Green was returning to California after months of dust. The land was being reborn, starting afresh.

c. A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green. The water is warm too, for it has slipped twinkling over the yellow sands in the sunlight before reaching the narrow pool.

4. Moby Dick, Herman Melville
    a. Call me Ishmael.
    b. Call me Isaac.
    c. Call me maybe.

5. The GC: How to be a Diva, Gemma Collins
    a. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And that’s the way it stayed until God created Divas.
    b. Hello babes and welcome to the best read of your lives! I am the GC and I am going to be your spirit guide on the journey to being the best version of you. Sit back, relax, and let me show you how to become a true Diva, Essex style.

c. Since the dawn of time, in the days of dinosaurs and the Ice Age movie franchise, before brow stencils, Samsung Galaxies and intimate waxes, there have always been women who are just a bit more fabulous than everyone else.

6. Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie
    a. Children, unlike adults, can believe wholeheartedly in all matter of absurdities.
    b. All children, except one, grow up.
    c. “There’s no such thing as fairies!” Wendy told Michael matter-of-factly.

7. LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien
    a. At the end of the second week in September a cart came in through Bywater from the direction of Brandywine Bridge. An old man was driving it all alone. He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf.
    b. When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
    c. Hobbits, at their very core, are creatures of habit. A hobbit will live a peaceful life in the Shire, a land that is fertile and fruitful and untouched by wars; and that is just how they like it.

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
    a. If you are interested in stories with happy endings you would be better off reading some other book.
    b. Mr Poe coughed into his handkerchief as he carefully made his way over the pebbles at Briny Beach.
    c. The Baudelaire children were not blessed with good fortunes and easy lives.

9. The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
    a. Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I never left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
    b. I leant against the wall at the end of my front yard and took a deep breath. There are 12 steps from my front porch to the road and just taking those had been a struggle. Some days are easier than others, but today was not going to be one of those.
    c. Cancer. One word, six letters, endless connotations- none of them good. It’s THE label, and once you get stuck with it, nothing else about you matters. I’ve lived with the cancer label slapped across my forehead for nine miserable years now.

10. We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, Michael Rosen
    a. We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day! We’re not scared.
    b. We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re carrying massive shot-guns. Getting a bear skin rug! We’re not scared.
    c. We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re going to be best friends. Can’t wait to have tea parties! We’re not scared.

11. Matilda, Roald Dahl
    a. Children have a wondrous imagination. They can be anything they desire to be. A doctor, a teacher, a priest, a spaceman, Prime Minister, no dream is too big or too small.
    b. In a small room in a small house in a small town lived a small girl. In fact, the only thing not small about Matilda was her love of reading.

c. It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.

12. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
    a. It was the best of times it was the worst of times.
    b. Never have I ever seen such sweet sorrow.
    c. There were stark differences between London and Paris in 1751.

13. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon
    a. My eyes focused on the grass. You learn from childhood that grass is green and that’s just how it is. Tonight, this particular patch of grass was red.
    b. It was seven minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs Shears’ house. Its eyes were closed.
    c. Growing up I was one of those kids without friends. You might think that’s sad but honestly, friendship confused me anyway. I liked being alone, alone is easy.

Well done all :books:

3 Likes

Only 3 for me, but I’m sure if I’d studied English Literature I’d have done well, so in the current climate could I please have a “predicted grade” A Level? :1st_place_medal:

Ahh I don’t know how I’ve missed all these rounds! And I couldn’t resist opening all the answers so now it would be classed as cheating if I gave them a go :joy: Good job all though, some brilliant rounds there :clap:t2:

My eyes are peeled for the next one! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Work’s been manic the last couple of days. Only just got in but very gutted I completely missed this literature round :see_no_evil:. Used to play a very similar game at my cousins except my Aunt was a teacher and always won! :joy:

1 Like

Emoji pictionary - English Phrases

Okay, obviously completely stolen from @Cassii 's emoji charades but a nice little sideline and easy quiz for the weekend… What are the following phrases? Good Luck!

1. :mantelpiece_clock::small_airplane::partying_face:

2. :heavy_multiplication_x::abacus::rooster::rooster::hatching_chick:

3. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
    :woman_shrugging:t2:

4. :cake:

5. :running_woman::man_lifting_weights: :swimming_woman::violin:

6. :rooster::heavy_plus_sign::ox::open_book:

7. :beer::goggles:

8. :kissing_heart::heavy_plus_sign::lipstick:

9. :coffin::ring::hospital:

10. :bird::bird::heavy_plus_sign::honeybee::honeybee:

And following on from number 10 a bonus 5 questions on British slang in the bedroom…

1. :large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:

2. :australia::kissing_heart:

3. :cut_of_meat::broccoli::carrot:

4. :chipmunk::coat::no_entry_sign::briefs:

5. :boxing_glove:

ETA

Apologies @Ian_Chimp and @WillC … lesson - always check final published on forum emoji’s! In the preview they looked perfectly correct, once published 2 emoji’s were changed! Number 4 was originally Burning Bridges but my bridge emojis turned into a skyline once actually on the forum?! I have changed it entirely now to a new one as I couldn’t find an alternative bridge. In number 4 of the bonuses, the pants were crossed out with a line through, once published they were not. I have amended this one but it remains the same phrase. Please feel free to edit your number fours if you so desire :see_no_evil:

I also don’t know why some now appear small, in the preview they are all large :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes
My Answers

1, Time flies when you’re enjoying yourself
2, Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched.
3, Living under a storm cloud
4, No idea!
5, No idea!
6, Cock and bull story
7, Beer goggles
8, Kiss and make up
9, Dead ringer for love?
10, Birds and the bees

Bonus

1, Blue balls
2, Australian Kiss?
3, Meat and two veg
4, No idea! Nut covering pants?
5, Bashing the bishop

1 Like
My Answers to:
Emoji pictionary - English Phrases
  1. Tempus Fugit (when you’re having fun)
  2. Don’t count your roosters before bedtime
  3. Travis
  4. Piece of Cake
  5. Olympic Fiddle
  6. Tristram Shandy
  7. Beer Googles
  8. Kiss & Lipstick?
  9. Dead RingEr
  10. Tits & booBees

11. Blue balls?
  12. Aussie Kiss?
  13. Meat & Two Veg
  14. Fur coat and no knickers?
  15. Knock one out?

Looking back over them it seems my answers don’t make much sense. :slightly_smiling_face: I am ill. :face_with_thermometer:

I’ve used my ‘+1 edit’ token Peitho gave me for the 4s, but I’ve left all the other weird shit in. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:see_no_evil: Sorry failure!

On my list these two are exactly the same bridge picture but one at night and one during the day… let’s see what happens when I post them…

:bridge_at_night:

:foggy:

Don’t know why my line through didn’t work, it went through fine in the preview :woman_shrugging:t2:

… I clearly need time in the Sandbox, I will go and play there shortly!

Steal away :wink::grin:

Answers here
  1. Time flies when you’re having fun
  2. Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched
  3. Why does it always rain on me
  4. Piece of cake
  5. ??Workout music??
  6. Cock and bull story
  7. Beer goggles
  8. Kiss and make up
  9. Dead ringer (that one took me a while!)
  10. The birds and the bees

Bonus round:

1. Blue balls
  2. A kiss down under?
  3. Meat and two veg
  4. ??? Commando nut jacket?? :joy:
  5. Fisting?
1 Like