Thoughts on the site refresh (UK)

What are others views on the new site, at least new to the UK? Personally, not a fan, just my opinion, but it feels like a huge step backwards in terms of UX in almost every way. The use of space is poor, way too spaced out, even on a retina mac, I can’t get the majority of relevant information in a single page. Scrolling is a nightmare, again, might be unique to a mac with a touchpad, but I find scrolling around a product page incredibly painful, it jumps around between scrolling different parts of the screen, zooming in and out of images when I wanted to scroll, again due to poor use of space, the image is too big to fit on the screen in one piece, so scrolling is required, but it feels like every measure has been taken to make scrolling as frustrating as possible. And some of the most important features are plain missing, like latest products, that’s the thing I use most, every day I used to come in to see what’s new and might pique my interest, most of my purchases have been impulse buys from the latest products page.

Perhaps this should be under the “get it off your chest” thread, or maybe I’m just suffering from “lockdown stress” :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

So far I’m not impressed but I’ll reserve judgement till they’ve actually got it working. At the moment so much is missing or not working.

3 Likes

Fair enough, although I feel it’s a pretty risky strategy to develop a site live like that, it should be rolled out to a select group for evaluation and fine tuning before going live to the whole customer base, again just my opinion, although I do software for a living, so have some experience to draw upon.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan either. Everything is far too large on screen and my two most used features, What’s New and Wishlists have gone.

I appreciate that change takes time to get used to but the whole site feels like I need to zoom everything out!

2 Likes

I’m liking it, works great on a phone - and I haven’t encount any scrolling frustrations yet.

Though I do agree going live before the site is ready is an odd choice to make, and risky, but I guess you never know what’s going on at the back end of the old site :person_shrugging:

Fingers crossed when all the functionality comes back it’ll feel a lot better - I certainly like being able to remove something from my basket and bump it to my saved list instead of having to do it manually

1 Like

Visually it’s much better, especially on a phone. Functionality wise there are glitches but that’s common after any site change - I have my own for work and despite my best efforts every time I refresh it there’ll still be things I get wrong or miss. Much like here it’s often clients and customers that spot the errors for me.

Give it time. I’ve had no issues shopping as normal, deliveries are as efficient as ever and whilst it would be great if everything worked from day 1 I’m sure it’ll all get fixed soon enough. The forum is looking much better. I rarely used it before and now pop in daily (and not just because of the lockdown free time!). :grin:

I don’t think I like it that much. Since it’s changed I’ve not been on as much, in fact barely at all. I browsed two different types of products that I was after but haven’t been back on since :sob: I only use the site on my mobile and it seems they’ve made it more mobile and iPad compatible which does help but it takes much longer to scroll through now.

Hopefully I’ll be tempted with the emails and will get used to the site ASAP as I know I’m missing out!

2 Likes

May just be the browser used but I do not like the updated version so much when I access the site though my mobile.

I now tend to use tablet but it has certainly taken away the spur of the moment purchases made in the past.

1 Like

Not seeing reviews has prevented me from making a few purchases, I always read reviews before buying. On that front I don’t like it as I want to see the mantric wand reviews amongst others before committing myself. The main frustration is my beloved Lelo smart wand 2 finally died and none of the others are powerful enough other than my mains powered but its rechargeable I’m wanting.
The forum seems cool though.

Edit - browser problems, after scratching my head, looking into the abyss for an hour i tried a new browser and as if by magic all those reviews I’d been craving have came to life, what should order :crazy_face:

@Alyssa646 just out of curiosity what browser were you using before and after?

Yeah it’s all abit confusing to be honest.

I wish they would make reviews public on peoples profiles so you can see what toys other people like.

3 Likes

I was using duck to go browser and before I tried either the app or firefox, I’m unsure which. Now straight up Samsung browser seems to have everything available :+1: now I’ve said that I’ll probably be begging for help with something :see_no_evil:

I’d also like to see reviews off profiles, that function would be handy when you have similar interests or a few favourite reviewers to access :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I’m browsing items and zoom in on one on my phone, I get a browser error type message and have to refresh the page which is annoying.

I have to agree with @newbie_analyst. If your website is your shop window and you decide to go for a re-design, you do NOT beta test its teething problems by inflicting them on your customers! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So far, I’m really not getting on with it to be honest. I’d normally go on most days and look at the “new in” sections, specifically the lingerie category. But that’s gone and I’m certainly not searching through every single piece on the site to find anything new!

I seem to be the odd one out as I really like the new design.

I do agree that ideally you should test a new design out first, but that’s only if the technical ability is there. If the old site was outdated it might not have been possible to have a new site and the old one running simultaneously.

I quite like the new site, but I haven’t been on properly for ages and noticed the normal 25% discount has gone?

It’s been a bit shaky since the website update, but there’s a bit more info in New Website. :+1:

@Kinkypup Unfortunately I’m with you on this point. The majority of my use of they website was for the new in sections (unless I was looking for something in particular).

I can’t get on with the new way for looking for the ‘new in’ categories. It’s SO annoying. Why should we even have to type ‘new in’ into the search bar. A new website should make things easier, not more complicated. Hopefully they change it back to a simpler way.

4 Likes

I’m finding it very ‘bouncy’ on Android, with the boxes swiping in from the top and bottom. They have a bit of lag to them too, so not the smoothest of transitions. Same for when it’s trying to find its place when loading a new page. It feels like I’m getting dragged around the page a bit.

The bottom box also obscures a lot of input boxes when my keyboard is out (eg. Offer Code in checkout). I really would consider making that a lot smaller footprint.

Another thing to consider is how much screen you want to dedicate to upselling. A lot of returning customers will already know a lot of this info (free delivery thresholds, 15% off newsletter sign up, that lube is also available, etc, etc). My phone screen isn’t big, and I begrudge sacrificing any of it to irrelevant info.

The ‘Customers also buy:’ section also pushes the Add to Basket button too far away. It’s a significant extra thumb-scroll further down.

Just some gripes I thought I’d share. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes