Top Tips for Most Commonly Misspelled/Misplaced Words

Hey all!

We've been nattering in the office discussing our most hated words to write, and the most frustrating typos we see submitted to us, and it got me thinking. 

Everyone has at least one word which they struggle to write or pronounce, so thought it would be a great idea for us to share some of the ways in which we've learned or been shown how to remember spelling etc. You never know, your advice could be the key to help someone else finally nail their least favourite word. 

The other common mistake we see is when one word has been used, when in fact a different word should have been used.

Eg: 

BROUGHT instead of BOUGHT

DEFIANTLY instead of DEFINITELY 

ARE instead of OUR

PACIFIC instead of SPECIFIC 

DRAW instead of DRAWER

etc etc. You get my drift...

So what are your most frustrating words to write, and what methods to you take to try and get it right? 

For example, for me, couple of my sticklers are 'restaurant' and 'occasional' - I always have to double, triple check them. 

To get it right, I have to over-dramatically pronounce rest-AUR-ant to get that write (with full over the top mouth movements too), and to remember 'occasional' I use the trick for 'necessary' (1 cup, 2 sugars) and reverse it. Silly, but it works! 

What are your most hated words, and top tips for getting them right? I bet we end up with some crossovers, but if you have a different way of remembering, please share it!  

Generally/genuinely.
My top tip, educate yourself, proof read, get it right.

Oh, and there they're and their

Oh and have where it shouldn't be of

My college teacher said the way to remember the difference between STATIONARY & STATIONERY is to remember to use an 'a' for ass and the 'e' for envelope - which also defines the difference - lol :) xx

Your and you're!

you are = you're

belongs to you = your

😂😂😂 I really expected this thread to be originally posted by Sub.

Es being added onto potato or tomato annoy me.

When to use as or has

Yeah another for as and has

Looser, nesesary, alwrite, seperate, correllation, clitarus, thuraly, conceve,

Scorpius12 wrote:

My college teacher said the way to remember the difference between STAIONARY & STATIONERY is to remember to use an 'a' for ass and the 'e' for envelope - which also defines the difference - lol :) xx

LOVE this! This is one that gets me a lot, but that's a great way to remember. Top tip indeed! 

The ones I struggle with the most are words like...

Where/were There/Their Your/You're Which/witch

I always seem to get the letters I, O and E the wrong way around in words like piont and peice ect

I always misspell words which drives me crazy! Most of the time spellcheck doesnt even know what I am trying to spell

X

I was taught to remember because
Big elephants carry an umbrella silly elephants

Couple looking to spice things up wrote:

I was taught to remember because
Big elephants carry an umbrella silly elephants

I use a similar one (Big Elepants Can Add Up Sums Easily) I still have to use it now, otherwise I spell it wrong!

X

This thread was much needed, Jess, hope it will help reduce issues... Unfortunately I am one of those that get really annoyed by spelling mistakes be them my own or others' in any language.

I always want to spell "recieve" instead of "receive" and the way I try to remember the correct way is by remembering that mr. Gates's software always corrects it for me. As lame as that sounds, it works for me, as I hate others having to work on my mistakes, even if by others we mean a high priced software LOL!

How about MASTURBATION and MASTURBATE? And NOT mastarbate. Just to stay on topic :).

I really struggle with wednesday, the way I say it would make it to be spelled as wendsday so I always have to over pronounce it in my head before writing it.

LSB Im one of the annoying ones that adds es onto potato and tomato but I genuinely have always believed thats what you're meant to do lol 🙈

Hmmm.... Now whereabouts to place that apostrophe in Jess' thread?

Or Jess's thread?

PokingFun wrote:

Or when someone adds an E in thingy.

This.... How did I forget this.

LittleSwitchBitch wrote:

PokingFun wrote:

Or when someone adds an E in thingey.

This.... How did I forget this.
The only time they'd need to add an e is if you missed it out

He's and his winds me up too.
As does too two to.
And also gnom without the guttural initial letter
Discreet and discrete - the two es are separate and distinct you know?!