Top Tips for Most Commonly Misspelled/Misplaced Words

theatre, so many people spell that wrong

Big elephants cause accedents under small elephants.

Mines effect and affect.... Never get them the right way round

Loosing for losing. No real excuse nowadays with spellcheck.

Brought and bought make me want to punch the person if I have to hear them speak the mistake

Lose and Loose also winds me up for no good reason too

you're and your gets to me a fair be

As well as running, long sentences.

Sum Sub wrote:

LittleSwitchBitch wrote:

PokingFun wrote:

Or when someone adds an E in thingey.

This.... How did I forget this.
The only time they'd need to add an e is if you missed it out
Pffft it doesn't go in it in the first place !!

PokingFun wrote:

I always purposely stick an S on the end of the word stuff. :)

My OH does this too 😂

weather and whether, see people spelling both as wether.

There, their and they're,

Where, were, wear and we're,

Bought and brought,

Two, too and to

Definitely, Professional, has and as, our and are, I could go on!

NEvans wrote:

The ones I struggle with the most are words like...

Where/were There/Their Your/You're Which/witch

I always seem to get the letters I, O and E the wrong way around in words like piont and peice ect

I always misspell words which drives me crazy! Most of the time spellcheck doesnt even know what I am trying to spell

X

Nevans, I have a tip for this one both where and there contain here, so it is a place. Eg. Where are you going? I'm going over there to the bench.

Were is related to time, eg. We were here. Their contains heir, as in to inherit, so it is belonging to a person. Eg. Their car is blue.

You could be dyslexic my dear. I am VERY dyslexic and spelling is my absolute worst area. So I try to use visual clues. I spell phonetically and find the vowels within a word almost interchangeable. I hope these little tips help you. I have spent all my life, finding ways to hid the fact that I can't spell.

Lovehoney - Lannah wrote:

i might be able to kelp with this one. You're is just a short forn of you are, so try typing the long version. Also your contains our so it related to a thing/belonging. Eg you're driving a red car (you are driving a red car, something you are doing) Your hair looks good today (your hair, belonging to you).

As for writing sentences that are too long. Once written, read them out loud, and where you would comfortably take a breath or change context use a comma.

I must admit to using too many commas (,) I can't help it. When I talk I jesticulate a lot and it can be very difficult to express yourself in written form with as much enthusiasm as orally. I will try to control my commas.

Purring-Pussy wrote:

weather and whether, see people spelling both as wether.

There, their and they're,

Where, were, wear and we're,

Bought and brought,

Two, too and to

Definitely, Professional, has and as, our and are, I could go on!

I must confess the weather thing flumaxes me. Must get it wrong a lot, sorry.

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Mines effect and affect.... Never get them the right way round

Yes I do this too, I'm obviously doing much worse at hiding my dyslexia than I thought. 😥

Damb that primary school spelling age of mine. You might think I'm posh for using big words, it's not true, you just don't look as stupid if you spell a big word wrong.

My iPad always corrects bought to brought so sometimes if I type reviews on my iPad I don't notice until it's live, it annoys me even if I wrote it! Need to start checking that before I send it, sorry Jess! Haha

Fun Louise wrote:

Lovehoney - Lannah wrote:

i might be able to kelp with this one. You're is just a short forn of you are, so try typing the long version. Also your contains our so it related to a thing/belonging. Eg you're driving a red car (you are driving a red car, something you are doing) Your hair looks good today (your hair, belonging to you).

As for writing sentences that are too long. Once written, read them out loud, and where you would comfortably take a breath or change context use a comma.

I must admit to using too many commas (,) I can't help it. When I talk I jesticulate a lot and it can be very difficult to express yourself in written form with as much enthusiasm as orally. I will try to control my commas.

Great ideas! Will definitely have to put those into use :)