Unable to cum - sertraline

I had this problem on citalopram (a different ssri). I have been off it for a while now but still struggle to reach orgasm. I still enjoy sex, but I get to the brink of an orgasm and its like something flicks the off switch right before I get there. Its frustrating.

It is a particularly cruel irony that medication designed to make you feel more yourself and able to enjoy life's simple pleasures then denies you one of life's most simple and wonderful pleasures at the same time.

Been on various SSRIs over the years and they always knocked the libido a bit, but Amiltryptaline was by far the worst, killed it stone dead. Recently upped my dose of Citalopram and this was the first time I still had the libido but couldn't actually climax. Thankfully that has settled down again, but was quite frustrating, to say the least.

As has already been said, it is a very individual decision regarding whether the side-effects of an otherwise effective anti-depressant are worth changing/ stopping, certainly there have been times whereby a better head-space far outweighed having any interest in sex, but certainly worth a chat with the GP about what can be done.

Best of luck.

Hi, I hope you find a solution. Iā€™m not sure about sertraline, but citalapram contains bromide - known to curb sexual urges and supposedly given to soldiers during WW1 for this purpose! It certainly killed my libido, in combination with an early menopause, for a while. It came bouncing back tho! If you talk to your GP you might hit on a different antidepressant which suits you better. Do consider combining it with a talking therapy, if you havenā€™t already - it might help reduce the amount of time you need the meds. Good luck!

I have the same problem with Fluoxitine (Prozak). I can cum through masturbation (eventually), but not through sex.

smada76 wrote:

I have the same problem with Fluoxitine (Prozak). I can cum through masturbation (eventually), but not through sex.

I had the same problem , when I was on prozac , some years ago . Same , now I am on sertraline . It takes me ages , and , sensitivity is all but gone I'd give anything to have my sex drive back where it was

I am on sertraline and have the same problem in my desire for anything sexual.

Hi same as Weeradge fluoxtine has killed my labido but is keeping me alive. Depression is not a good placešŸ˜¢

I had exactly the same issue. I had loads of drive I just couldn't finish no matter how hard I tired. And I could see that it was effecting my wife's enjoyment too. So I came off them and spent some time looking into my anxiety triggers, turns out caffeine was the main evil in my life. Stopped caffeine and had zero panic attacks since.

Little update from me . I'm off sertraline ( under medical supervision) I am feeling as randy as hell , my wife has just one upstirs and has "ordered" me to wait 'till I am summoned !!!!! I haven't felt this randy in ages . Lovehoney .....I hope your well stocked , because I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying that I'll be able to climax

;-)

1 Like

Weeradge wrote:

Little update from me . I'm off sertraline ( under medical supervision) I am feeling as randy as hell , my wife has just one upstirs and has "ordered" me to wait 'till I am summoned !!!!! I haven't felt this randy in ages . Lovehoney .....I hope your well stocked , because I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying that I'll be able to climax

;-)

That's fantastic news, well done! I'm aiming to start coming off sertraline in the New Year.

Have fun and enjoy whatever your lovely wife has planned for you.

So much energy on this thread. Life throws us all curve balls - well done to everyone who finds a way of hitting them back, however long it takes.

My boyfriend has been taking this for about 6 months now for anxiety. He can cum through sex still although it takes him a bit longer (not a bad thing for me!) but the biggest effect has been is he doesn't get the urge to masturbate as frequently. He used to do it most days and now only about once or twice per month.

AmyA wrote:

Weeradge wrote:

;-)

That's fantastic news, well done! I'm aiming to start coming off sertraline in the New Year.

Have fun and enjoy whatever your lovely wife has planned for you.

WOW . it was worth the wait . One question tho , Do lovehoney sell sheet cleaner ????? LOL

I constantly had this problem when on basicaly every antidepressant I was ever on. I had to resort to really expensive and intense toys to get off at all with them. I think it's quite normal and it's really unfortunate.

Hi it's a known fact that Ssri anti depressants in most people has a side affect that it can make it difficult for both male and females to come. Your Dr should have explained this to you, but unfortunately most GPS haven't got the time to get to the source of what is causing your anxiety so they prescribe antidepressants. Which do work in most cases, but do have some side affects like loss of libido unable to cum. But once your body and mind adjusts things do get better.. I hope this has helped and helped šŸ˜‰

One thing to add to my "happy ending" ( in more ways than one ) Don't come ( no pun intended ) off of sertraline , exept under medical direction . I don't want anyone to make themselves worse .

My boyfriend has been on Sertraline twice for anxiety. When he is off it now he is very randy but when he has been on it he really canā€™t cum and doesnā€™t even get the urge to masturbate. The doctor has said this is a common side effect.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on sertraline for over a year and (luckily) it hasnā€™t affected my libido or my ability to cum

I was on sertraline a few years ago for anxiety and was on it for just over a year before I tapered off it.

I found similar side effects to some other posters. Whilst my sex drive did not seem to be affected, we had sex as regularly as before and I had no problem getting erections, the urge to masturbate just seemed to go away after a month or two. It was weird but I went from 4-5 times a week to really not feeling like I needed to do it.

Also, as some other posters have mentioned, I just couldnā€™t get to cum, even if I wanked for 30 minutes. My wife actually loved this during sex and it was still very pleasurable so this was not actually as much of an issue as you would think.

Once I finished with sertraline everything went back to as it was before and I think my wife was a little disappointed as I cannot last anywhere near as long now :joy:

2 Likes