Unable to save an edited post within graceful 5 minutes

This is the second time I am seeing the problem. 1st was a post on 16 years old and the 2nd is a while ago. Anyone has the same problem?

I have this! I also can't use any formatting in my post (including paragraphs). I thought it was a mobile thing for ages until someone else using formatting said they used mobile too. If it helps, I'm on an iPhone.

There's some tips on how to manually add paragraphs in this thread if that helps: 👍

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/inside-lovehoney/1576978-helpful-tips-for-lovehoney-forum-use/page-3/

iPhones don't seem to mix well with all elements of the forums, and the edit function is one of them. 🙂 If the edit link doesn't appear (it should be just to the left of 'quote this post' for 5 minutes after you post) you could try flipping to the Desktop version of the page in your browser. I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure that works as I don't have an iPhone to test it on, but it does work with other things so may be worth a pop. 👍

If you can see the edit function but once you've edited the post and clicked 'update' it just hangs there and freezes then that can be because you've tried to add a link, or there was a link in the original post, or it doesn't like a quote within the original post (or sometimes it's just an awkward thread 🙂). The best thing to do in those circumstances is use the edit box to delete all the text and replace it with a solitary fullstop, and then create a new post (and perhaps doublecheck this one 🙂).

Hope this helps. 🙂👍

After having posted and checked where the edit post link is, it's actually underneath the 'quote this post' and 'post a reply' links. I think on an iPhone the 'quote this post' is also missing, and I think that's one of the things that turns up when you flip to the desktop version of a page (though if anyone with an iPhone wanted to test this out and report back that'd be ace 🙂👍).

Ian Chimp wrote:

There's some tips on how to manually add paragraphs in this thread if that helps: 👍

That's annoying, since the message box specifically says 'Don't type any HTML - you'll simply see the raw code appearing in your message!'

Asking for the desktop version does finally show the 'quote this post' option.

But using the desktop version is really janky, it zooms in to random parts of the text box, and it's hard to use.

I'll try edit after I've posted.

Edit button says(as it does in mobile) 'https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/inside-lovehoney/1869620-unable-to-save-an-edited-post-within/?edit=1870335' (literally just after I posted) but let's me click it and edit the comment text box. However, the update button does literally nothing so edit doesn't actually seem to work.

Also, it's doing that random thing of zooming in on parts of the text box and jumping about, but even worse than when posting a comment because the box is smaller in edit mode. Can't scroll down to the bottom of the page, it's just a bit janky all over. I kind of hate it more than I hate the lack of paragraphs.

* sorry, that wasn't supposed to be a link. It was supposed to say 'Edit post (NaN minutes left)'

If you zoom in on the edit text box you can drag the lower-right corner to make it bigger 👍 (it works on a few other text boxes too, like the review one).

Flipping to the desktop version isn't brilliant, but it may help on a few occasions if you need it? I certainly wouldn't want to use it all the time. 🙂

I worked out that the html code would work as it drops a load in when you quote a post, which you may not have spotted as your 'quote a post' function was hidden. 🙂 So, just to be clear, on an iPhone there's no quote post link, but if you flip to desktop version it shows up? And it sounds like you're saying the edit function is there without flipping to desktop version, but when you try and use it it just freezes? Have I understood that right?

I usually post from our laptop. Sometimes I can edit a post within the offered timescale, sometimes it doesn't work. Pot-luck.

'So, just to be clear, on an iPhone there's no quote post link, but if you flip to desktop version it shows up? '

yup

' I worked out that the html code would work as it drops a load in when you quote a post'

didn't see any html when I quoted earlier on my phone in desktop mode

'And it sounds like you're saying the edit function is there without flipping to desktop version, but when you try and use it it just freezes? Have I understood that right?'

Not quite. Edit is on mobile view, as is 'Post a reply' but they both just reload the page when you click them

on mobile in desktop mode, I tried to edit, and it brought up the text box, but after pressing the update button that's when it just freezes.

Thanks for that. 👍 It's hard to picture when you don't have an iPhone to test it on. 🙂

I think the html code only gets dropped into mobile quotes, so it certainly puts you at a disadvantage. You can add the blockquote tags to manually add a quote, but it can be a bit fiddly when you add in all the p tags too.

And the edit update button sometimes freezes for me too. If I think it's going to be iffy with me I go into edit, and press update (without actually changing anything) just to see if it'll let me. If it does I go back to edit and make my changes then update, but if it just hangs there I know not to bother. 👍

Thanks again for reporting back. 🙂

I've just popped a blockquote tip in the Tips thread if you need it. 👍

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/inside-lovehoney/1576978-helpful-tips-for-lovehoney-forum-use/post-1870906/

Some times I am unable to edit within the five minutes, I was trying to figure out the cause and then I stumbled upon this old post about emoji usage impacting editing (it could be a long shot!) https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/off-topic/1100602-mysteries-of-the-universe/

I have not been able to save edited posts when on the PC.

I can edit them but they never save when the "Update Post" button is clicked to do so.

Edit: Just testing to see if it works today.

Edit 2: Turns out it does. Must have been something odd when I tried previously.

MaD_Couple wrote:

I can edit them but they never save when the "Update Post" button is clicked to do so.

Edit 2: Turns out it does. Must have been something odd when I tried previously.

It's kind of intermittent isn't it. Sometimes it works other time it doesn't.

I tried to edit a post yesterday and it wouldn't save. I tried a number of times.

4Uonly wrote:

MaD_Couple wrote:

It's kind of intermittent isn't it. Sometimes it works other time it doesn't.

Pretty much. Not sure if there was anything special about the one that wouldn't let me edit so can't say for sure why this may have occurred either.