Unwanted forum powers

I think I’m a TL2 here (to be honest I haven’t a clue and don’t much care) but I’ve noticed something about the forum - something I’ve never seen on any other forum - and it surprises me.

It appears that I have the power to change the title of anyone else’s thread/topic, AND move it to a different part of the forum if the mood takes me. Surely this can’t be right …can it? These are the sort of actions I’d expect to be the province of moderators only!

1 Like

It looks like you’re level 3 as you’ve the regular badge

2 Likes

You’re a TL3 Regular. :+1: Have you not seen me doing it for the last month or so? :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course, you’re supposed to be responsible with it. That goes without saying. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You must be level 3 (I’ll leave it to someone else to check) but yes, it comes with that.

I think it’s mainly just so that on weekends and stuff if a new person joins and pops up a rather inappropriate thread and title or posts it in the wrong topic Regular members can tweak it a bit.

Or in @Ian_Chimp 's case totally reorganise and sort :+1:

1 Like

As a TL3 you can also make your posts wiki. There’s a little wrench symbol in the same place as the delete dustbin and flag menu. That means that anyone TL1 or higher can then edit that post. :+1:

You can throw yourself a wiki party in Anyone Level 3 Yet?. :+1:

1 Like

Really? Oh shit. :cry:

I don’t want this power or the responsibility that comes with it. I’ve been a forum mod elsewhere and it nearly killed me - I never want that level of stress in my life again. PLEASE take this away from me ASAP. Bump me down to TL2 or whatever it takes.

I’m not kidding. If I’m given powers like these, I become hypervigilant and super-stressed: constantly on the lookout for trolls etc and glued to the screen by FOMO. It’s not good for my mental health.

4 Likes

Brenna can keep you at TL2 if that’s what you want. :+1:

But you can just keep on ignoring it too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Ian.

Calling @Lovehoney_Brenna - can you read this thread, please?

Not possible, I’m afraid. Once the genie’s out of the box, and all that…

NOTE: I’m going to change the title of this thread to something sensible, so Brenna knows what it’s about. Please don’t alter it again.

1 Like

No worries. If it makes you more comfortable then that’s the main thing.

2 Likes

It wasn’t my title.

Do you want a little wiki party before you lose the ability?

Celebrate becoming a TL3 Regular here! 🥳 - #59 by Ian_Chimp

Serious question…do the mods know who has changed a title if it’s changed? Just wondering if someone could possibly maliciously alter a title anonymously? On similar lines, could someone post something offensive to a member then delete it, would the mods be able to see the offending message from their end as proof once deleted?
Please note, i am not intending to do any of the above, it’s just something that concerns me!

3 Likes

Any edits leave a history. :+1: They’re not public to everyone, but Brenna can see them all. But @PleasureDrone could click on the pencil in the top right of this OP (as it’s his) and he’ll be able to see who changed the title.

If a post is edited within the first 5 minutes then it doesn’t create a public edit (there are exceptions, but that’s the norm). So, theoretically I could call @Peitho a beautiful ray of sunshine and as long as I edited it within 5 minutes there wouldn’t be a record. Though there’s no guarantee they’d see it. :slightly_smiling_face:

And even if you ‘delete’ a post with the dustbin icon it doesn’t really delete it. It simply gets hidden in an admin only area (so Brenna can still see it if she needs to).

Edit: And if someone has flagged it in the meantime it won’t even go there until a moderator has dealt with it. :+1:

Pretty much everything is tracked. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That’s good to know! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

You can check out a wiki edit history to give you an idea of what it looks like with different people editing: :+1:

2 Likes

Ta, the editing other people’s post thing has concerned me for a while and @PleasureDrone’s post seemed an apt place to bring it up.

I am suspicious - I have only just seen this! :thinking:

Whatever it was I forgive you :joy:

2 Likes

I hope you don’t mind being dragged into the example. :slightly_smiling_face: I chose you as I think you already know I think you’re wonderful. :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

Just to clarify: a TL3 Regular can only amend topic titles, and change the topic category. They can’t edit the main body of any posts (apart from their own, and wikis :slightly_smiling_face:).

And if a topic has its title or category edited the OP gets a notification. :+1: (and a record is made in the edit history).

3 Likes

I’ve only done it once, and that was for an incorrect apostrophe that was driving me nuts.

9 Likes

This is the ultimate community service. I applaude and thank you :clap:t2:

9 Likes