What to do

Another downer post from me but i need to say something and ask for help.

Lockdown has been relaxed but i still feel stuck in a dark place.
Seem to have less people talking to me, so little interest in doing anything and im getting stressed out so much easier then before.

Recently weighed myself which made me feel bad and as much as i feel i should exercise i dont have any motivation.
I have tried the idea of goals and rewards but most of them dont seem to work.

Feel so tired and pointless

4 Likes

Maybe try and get a bit of sunshine on your skin? The vitamin D can help boost your mood, and can have a positive knock-on effect for the rest of the stuff too. Supplements can help, but I find the actual light and warmth of a sunny day can make a big difference to how I see the world (and my place in it).

And a hot shower. That’s always a winner. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

I have been out most of the past days when it was scorching but i didnt feel much better. Today its gloomy but still feel bad

Yes sunshine is good, if you don’t fancy walking or exercise, how about sitting out in it listening to music? It certainly helps me. How about walking your dog to get exercise? I find that if you walk where other dog owners go, you can’t help but get into conversation. There’s always here, you can join in or start topics on more or less any subject and we’ll join in.
Hope this helps a little bit. But we’re here for you. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I can relate to some of what you said as things still feel the same here too with the lockdown being relaxed and yet people are still so distant which I think makes the overthinking side worse for us but guess have to remember we’re all having to learn again to be social and come out of that isolation phase so will take time to get back to normal again.

With getting stressed more easily it may be a useful skill to try learning mindfulness :person_in_lotus_position: so that when you feel yourself getting tightened up you can take a mindful step back to breath, assess the points to why your feeling stressed and if they are genuinely something to be stressed on. Takes some practise but once mastered it’s a skill you’ll have for life.

Another way to destress of course is masturbating and playing with some lovehoney toys! Explore what destress techniques work best for you.

Exercising I wouldn’t worry so much about as you need to be in the right mind to be motivated for it as it won’t do anything good for you. Try to limit weighing yourself and consider short casual bursts of exercise throughout the day like walking, taking the stairs instead of lifts kinda things and see every opportunity as a way to do bit of small exercise… like for me I always exercise when brushing my teeth lol :grimacing:

Goals and rewards will only work when you have the motivation back again so don’t worry about them at the moment and think more on things that make you happy.

Remember you are not pointless, you are strong :muscle: unique and worth so much

4 Likes

This is literally me right now! I’ve had to shield over a year now and I’ve put on like a stone :see_no_evil: feel so not sexy and every time I try on anything I’m just like right diet starts now get exercising and then I just can’t be bothered. Think everyone is feeling deflated to be honest but you will get there, could you start with a walk initially just to clear your head and get some fresh air? This lovely weather has been so nice to just chill in the garden :heart_eyes: x

4 Likes

I like a nice, involved project. Something intricate and time consuming, yet ultimately frivolous. :slightly_smiling_face: If I can pick up some new knowledge or a skill while I’m doing it, then all the better.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear that @zombifiedguy

I think mindfulness can work. When I find myself struggling, wallowing and demotivated, I colour or do sudoku puzzles, something that occupies my mind and hands but doesn’t take too much brain power.

Going and having a cuppa in the garden and listening to nature can be peaceful and tranquil too.

3 Likes

Hey @zombifiedguy sorry to hear you’re feeling tired, the pandemic has affected us all in some way or another and although restrictions are easing, things are still far from normal and it is important to acknowledge that and not expect everything to be the same as before.

To address some of the points you raised, it’s great that you’re realising you’re in a dark place and reaching out for help. If you’re not feeling okay and you don’t know how to go about fixing it I am a big advocate for therapy. It’s okay to not be okay but doesn’t mean you have to suffer with it.

With less people talking to you, that again could just be a side effect of lockdown. I went home to see my friends and family last week for the first time in 9 months and struggled for conversation, simply because none of us have done anything or seen anyone. Conversation is hard to keep going at the moment despite it being a time where we need it most.

Little motivation is also really common! We have been locked away for months now and gaining freedoms back can actually be overwhelming.

I’d preach to my clients at this time to move away from should/must thinking. You could be putting so much pressure on yourself by thinking about tasks in terms of “I should be doing XYZ” or “I must speak to so and so today”, and this is almost setting yourself up to fail. Try changing your self talk to “it would be nice if I did this” instead and take the pressure off yourself.

6 Likes

Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying its just so much for nothing. All previous issues are still there and now these on top.

2 Likes

I know the feeling, unfortunately exercising will help you but it takes a bit to get into a pattern and keep exercising. Took me getting hurt at work and going to the physio to get me motivated to exercise, but now I’m in a routine. Can you find anyone to exercise with or near? Or just try starting small,. Few push ups here and there, those large exercise bands make it easy to do anywhere.

1 Like

No one to work out with, believe me ive asked everyone.
I have some things i can use but again its the motivation to use them

Know the feeling mate, didn’t do anything for years, took getting injured before I did something. Having a goal your working towards may help, but you got to find your own motivation, which is easier said then done.

1 Like

So im pretty much stuck…

Or until you get injured like me, or find your own motivation. Hard if you don’t have friends around you that can help drag you out to do stuff. Good luck, many have been there before and there is always medication that can really help.

1 Like

Can you sign up to a class? Then you have the motivation of having to be at the gym/online for a specific time?

Not really at the moment. Things are still abit complicated with gyms etc.
Cant even muster the motivation to go and get my haircut

When you feel like you have no control over anything important, take control over things you can control.

We all have an internal voice, in fact we have several, you are only listening to the one which is shouting the loudest; the " what’s the point in doing anything" voice. Try listening to your “I’m going to do it anyway” voice. Literally give yourself a pep talk, don’t put yourself down ( that’s another wrong voice to listen to) If you have to write " On your feet soldier, hair cut time" on bits of paper and put them up around the house until you go get it cut. “I can’t be bothered” to put them up voice will likely have something to say, but listen to, do it anyway. You have to be at your best in everything you can, ready for when you do get a break, a soldier with a rusty bent sword isn’t going to win a war. Even if you are stuck in the trenches for now, you still need to be battle ready for when you are ready to go over the top.

When you have been and got your hair cut, start on " get out and walk" to get fit again. You will think more clearly when you are getting some regular exercise, plus the routine will give you some structure to your day. Deal with anything which you do have control over, one thing at a time; when you have done all those know that you are going to find some way to find solutions to the other things at some point; but trying is the most important thing to do.

I don’t know what other things are, but from what I can seem to remember you saying in the past, it’s pretty much the same as me, “a job where you are treated kindly, and to be loved for being you”.

ON YOUR FEET SOLDIER.
YOU CAN DO THIS
@zombifiedguy

6 Likes

That’s not good, I’m sorry you’re going through this. I can’t remember if you said you’ve spoken to the doctor about it yet or not?

1 Like

@zombifiedguy Hope your ok, I’ve been where you are, and it’s never good. Always hard to find a way to get out of the mood dip. Highly recommend a bike. It has saved my mental health for last 3 years after starting new job. Stress levels went sky high and had to take time off work.
Now I go for a cycle, as far as I feel I want to, no goals etc, but definitely helps clear the head.

3 Likes