What's so desireable about rechargeable toys?

I see a lot more problems than advantages: Firstly, I haven't found any information about what kind of battery is in a toy - Nickel-Cadmium or Lithium-Ion (to name just two with important practical differences - NiCd should be used pretty much constantly and emptied at every use)

Secondly, and that's the biggest turn-off, I absolutely hate the idea that a toy would run out of charge in the middle of sex - unlike cordless drills sex toys don't come with a second battery so I could swap them out and continue.

Thirdly, I don't find any information about a sex toy's power consumption, both to be able to decide how much a charge would cost me (I have a feeling it would be cents at most, but I'd like to be sure) and to be able to guesstimate how powerful it will feel (with battery-powered toys I assume that more and/or bigger batteries mean stronger vibrations - right or wrong?)

And last but not least, as recheargeable batteries absolutely must not go in a landfill, I couldn't ever throw away an unwanted toy.

Whereas over here there's collection boxes for used-up batteries in all shops who sell them (they might even be recycled...). Alkaline batteries cost next to nothing (I get 8 for € 1.79) and last a surprisingly long time for me (I've just swapped out the second set in two months). When the battery runs out I put in new ones (or simply swap battery packs when that's possible). I am impatiently waiting for the next offer on rechargeable batteries and chargers, though - mainly to calm my ecological conscience ;)

So what am I overlooking?

Seems to me like you're just thinking too much about it..

Well you shouldn't be throwing unwanted toys away anyway, as there is the Rabbit Amnesty recylcing scheme. I have't seen anything saying they don't accept rechargeable toys, perhaps staff could clarify? Of course postage for you could become quite costly depending what service you use, but you could consider it an option for at least the rechargeable toys as that would likely only be a small packet.

You're seeing a lot of problems because of the information you're looking at. Most people don't look beyond how the toy performs, which is why you'll see a lot of positivity about them.

I don't know what battery type it is as I'm not technical, but you generally don't want your rechargeable toy to ever run flat. It can damage them. So I doubt it's the type that needs to be used constantly and emptied at every use. In an ideal world, you'd have your rechargeable toy on charge very frequently. For a lot of people this is after every use. The advice is generally to charge them all at least every 3 or 6 months (I can't remember which, but I think it is 6?) regardless of how much use they have had, so again maybe that will tell you what type of battery they use?

You also shouldn't be using rechargeable batteries in battery powered sex toys as it can damage them. So the comparison cost and performance wise would be between non rechargeable batteries and rechargeable toys.

Here in the UK, the cheap batteries last bugger all time in a sex toy. In fact, a lot of the time you have to change them every time you want to play with the toy if you want to have it on full power. The more expensive batteries like duracell last longer, but depending on the toy you may still only get a couple of uses before the toy starts running flat. For people who like having their toys run at full power everytime, this makes rechargeable sex toys the clear choice as they don't lose power like that, they tend to run full strength every time then simply cut out when they are out of charge.

Power level wise, in my experience rechargeable toys are always more powerful than battery operated alternatives. They tend to be deeper and more rumbly as well, whereas battery toys would feel buzzy and shallow. Most people have a preference for type of vibration, and often 'power queens' will go for the deeper, rumbly vibrations.

A lot of people like them for the fact that they are more powerful alone, and this is about as far as they look into them. That's what I mean by you seeing more negatives because you are looking further, there are lots of people who are sold by nothing more than a more powerful toy that they can pick up and play with without bothering to find batteries. That's all they need to hear to think they are superior.

As a comparison, I have a rabbit that takes 4 AA batteries (and yes, I think you're correct that more/bigger batteries means more power). It's probably my most powerful battery toy. I also have a rechargeable rabbit. The latter blows the first one out of the water in terms of power. The difference really is staggering. The rechargeable toy is deeper, more rumbly (like a mains powered toy would be) and even on the first setting is so much more powerful than the battery rabbit. Quite often people notice this difference and forget about anything else!

You're perfectly correct that they could run out of charge in the middle of sex. However, the same could be said for battery toys. It's all about managing charging your toy, many rechargeables last 2hrs and sometimes even longer on one charge. So it's a simple case of popping it on charge before use or remembering to charge it regularly, which really isn't any more hassle than digging out a fresh set of batteries or remembering to buy new ones.

Power consumption, I have no idea. Being USB charged I can't imagine it is much. I know I don't notice any difference in my electric use when I have a 'charge the whole toy box' week, so it can't be much. Again, perhaps a staff member would have this information?

I don't think you're overlooking anything, you're just looking more into them than what most people do :)

Hello,

I love rechargeable toys, personally. I figured out, that I ran out of batteries so often, that it was very expensive. One thing with batteries in toys is that the power of the toy decreases as the batteries are used over time, so I could never use the toy until the battery was completely drained. But had to stop at about 50, maybe even 70%, not sure. This did increase the costs significantly for me. Obviously, I could just use the batteries in something else, like the heater control in the flat, which takes AAA batteries and it does not mind them being 50%. My alarm clock uses AA batteries so I could use it there, or the wireless mouse uses AA batteries, but honestly, these do not need to have the battery swapped as often as I would change the battery in the toy, so the battery would be accummulating. And while we do have a box for them at work, or at the supermarket, it seems like a waste.

As I mentioned, one good thing about rechargeable toys is that you get the same power regarless if you have battery fully charged, or you are at 50% or close to next charge. At least this is my experience with them. The same cannot be said about battery powered toys.

Plus you tend to have more settings and more features on rechargeable toys, since they come from the high end of the toys, such as more patterns, ability to control patterns speed in some toys etc. Plus some of the higher end manufacturers are on the list of manufacturers who use body safe materials to make their toys, such as Lelo or Fun Factory (and some more), which makes me feel better about using it and safer in terms of any risks.

As for throwing any toy away, I would not do it anyway. But since I am not in UK, my options are limited. The rabbit amnesty program is out of questions because of postage costs, so I found out one supermarket has box for broken electronics, where people can put smaller electronics in and they get rid of them. I admit I put the unwanted / broken vibrators in (obviously after a proper and full cleanup) ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif)

You can pack a lot more power in a rechargable system than just using standard batteries, some of the high end toys are amazingly powerful.

The only downside is potentially running out of power half way (which is easily solved by just keeping it charged) and extra cost upfront.

I love my rechargeable rabbit. I find the charge lasts a long while and I can always just plug it up in preparation for the next use. I found that I often. Forgot to stock up on batteries so I often had toys dying out on me during sex and you can just stop in the middle of thing and run to the store for more batteries. Honestly I'd take rechargeable over batteries any day.

![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif) what Lovebirds said ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

I am mostly, but not overly environmentally conscious, however, when buying toys these are the absolutely must characteristics: being waterproof (for easy and reassuring cleaning) & body safe materials (for same reasons). Only third on the list, and less important by far, is the power feature. I prefer rechargeable, but simply for long term cost issues (however "cheap" batteries might be, they cost on the long term quite a lot more than electricity bills for the same use, and I do use good quality batteries for my toys, such as Duracell as I found others don't work good enough with them). Also, I second that you shouldn't use rechargeable batteries in toys, I have tried and had issues.

On the other hand, I do think recharging a toy is more of a hassle than popping new batteries in, but then buying and disposing of used batteries is a hassle too as far as I'm concerned. It takes more of a preparation than I would like to, I prefer my sexual experiences to be natural and less "prepared". I have found that my Lelo toys do go flat if unused and they also lose power when batteries are dying, so I don't think that the statement about rechargeable toys giving you 100% up until they go flat is true. This means I always recharge my toys before a session if I plan on them to get used, and this does take away the natural flow of things. However, I never worry about a toy running flat during sex, first of all because they would be fully charged, second because they last long enough, third because if I'm in a marathon, I would just grab another toy if one would die on me midway.

I do echo that you shouldn't "just throw out" your battery operated toys either, the recycling of electrical and electronical devices is not only about mains powered or rechargeable things, but of ALL things electrical. I am outside of the UK also, so Rabbit Amnesty is definitely NOT an option for us, but I am sure France has recycling collection points in every residential area too just as the EU country I'm in. You can bring your toys there free of charge, and if you're embarrassed by the personal contact factor, you could just bring your box of toys during closing hours and leave them at their gate for them to dispose of in the morning. Not very civil, but it would get the job done.

Also, it is not just about high-end toys. I have a USB rechargeable silicone suction based G spot vibrator that I got a long time ago for £15 as it was being discontinued and it is one of my favourite toys. It packs a punch in power and holds on to power over an extensive period of time even if left unused. One example of long term cost is that I got in the recent sale a battery operated ABS vibrator http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33663 , more as a novelty item than anything else as it was very pretty (yes, I know this is a stupid reason for buying a sex toy) at £5 but then had to buy 2 C batteries for it at €4 (Lovehoney sell these at £2.99 or €4,99 on the EU site). So while I got said vibrator for £5 / €7, I will have to pay £3 / €4-5 for the batteries to go with it... Surely this doesn't make it a good deal!

Thanks, I wasn't aware that as a general rule rechargeable toys are more powerful than battery-operated ones. That is indeed a good argument in favour of them!

Era, what were your issues with the rechargeable batteries in your toys? Lovebirds_x, how do you even know that one isn't supposed to use rechargeable batteries? It doesn't say anything on the packaging or in the instructions - only "2 AA batteries" (or whatever). I don't see what difference it should make that there's 0.3 V less at the beginning and then the voltage stays constant for longer than in a alkaline battery - which is the only difference between the two types of battery I'm aware of (chemical composition aside, but those chemicals are supposed to stay inside the battery...)

Era, I sympathise with you on the C batteries! I think the shop where I buy my AA and AAA doesn't even have that size. I remember them from my radio/cassette recorder...

I think its just natural progression for some people. When i first started buying toys i wasnt aware of the materials so i had a battery operated jelly vibe. Now i wont use anything jelly, and a lot of silicone vibes are rechargable.

With bullets i used to buy cheap ones that did very little for me, and then i got a tango and i would never go back to the older style ones.

I find it more convenient to have usb rechargable toys than have different sized batteries lying around, and having to remember to take them out after use and remembering which ones are new, and which ones might be half flat.

i guess its just personal preference really.

Regarding battery quality: I've just discovered that the ones I had to change today are not even my usual ones at next to nothing cost (if you look through my other posts you'll find the shop - I think I'm not allowed to recommend it here?), but Panasonic (which I would have thought a perfectly reputable brand) which I bought from the village supermarket when I had forgotten to stock up. Now does that mean that Aerocell is actually better than Panasonic, or just that the Panasonic ones had the bad luck of going into the most-used toys? And of course they were AAA whereas most other toys take AA. Maybe I should write down how often and for how long I use the toy to see how long the batteries really last...

Laveila, thanks for the tip, the Panasonics are indeed still good enough for the stereo's remote control, freeing its batteries (put in only two days ago) for a sex toy...

JM88, I see only two reasons to take batteries out after use: Either the device that contains them is badly built and consumes battery power even when switched off (had that with a Canon AE-1 the battery for which was horribly expensive). Or the device is left unused for ages and in humid conditions - then the battery will most probably corrode and start leaking and destroy the device (had that with a headlamp and a bicycle lamp). My sex toys live nice and dry in my bedroom and so far I'm using most of them regularly (the one I don't plan on using has had its battery removed). So I just leave the batteries in.

My old AA battery powered rabbit was forever running low on batteries. It definitely never lasted a month. :( It was also ugly, less powerful and didn't feel so comfortable in hand (too heavy at the battery/button end).

My new rechargeable rabbit is beautiful, powerful and lighter, so it's more comfortable for me to use. I did make the mistake of not charging it and having it run out in the middle of a session, but I promise you, I only made that mistake once. :) I don't know how much power it requires. I just plug it into my computer which is running, anyway.

Personally, I find it less bothersome to charge it before or after use than having to take out/put in the batteries all the time.

Talia you're not supposed to use rechargeable batteries as they're apparently slightly bigger than disposable ones, so they can get stuck and you might damage your toy trying to remove them.

However, I've always used rechargeable batteries in all of my AA powered toys (and other electricals) and never had any problems. They've never got stuck and they perform just as well as normal batteries, although if you've recharged them lots of times they won't retain power for as long (same could be said for rechargeable toys though) so you should replace them every so often.

Boo beat me to the answer. :) Yes, that is the first thing I discovered too: rechargeable batteries are slightly bigger than alkaline ones (even if they don't seem to, I know out of experience with two different AA type toys, a rabbit and a bullet). However, I have managed to put them in, but I remember that the rabbit would not even turn on. I then struggled getting them out as they were stuck, have managed, put alkaline batteries in and the rabbit worked. So it must have been the rechargeable batteries (and yes, they were good quality and freshly recharged) that made it not budge. I now do give preference to rechargeable toys, but as said before, it is not a "must" characteristic for me. So when I do buy battery operated toys, I try to only buy the AA or AAA types (the toy used above as an example was just a pretty and cheap caprice, nothing more!), as all other batteries would be costly and nuisance to buy. But I do buy the good brands, mostly Duracell (from lower brands I tried only Ikea which are not even worth mentioning!).

What drives me crazy is toys with N batteries! I think I'd like a Rock Chick Mini, but that's what it needs... I suppose a Lelo Noa would do the same thing, but at twice the price. And I've no idea whether I'd use the tool enough to ever use up 40 Euros worth of N batteries, i. e. if the Noa would ever pay for itself. Of course, it does look more powerful... I have the horrible feeling I'll be getting rechargeable toys soon. Though I really do not look forward to having even more chargers lying around - how do people manage?

I never understand why they use N size batteries, so annoying.

I keep all of my chargers in one LH storage bag. If needed (maybe soon), they will become two. In one of my toys' drawers. I should also soon start attaching labels to them to know which one is for which toy...

Talia wrote:

Laveila, thanks for the tip, the Panasonics are indeed still good enough for the stereo's remote control, freeing its batteries (put in only two days ago) for a sex toy...

You are welcome ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif) I found batteries which could not be used in toy anymore (too weak) stil can work in various devices round the house. Remote controls do not require the same power as the toys do.

I started reading through these posts and got quite alarmed at people saying not to use re-charegeable batteries as that's all I use! Then I read on and saw that it's only because of the slightly bigger size issue. Phew!

I did have some UniRoss batteries that came with a charger years ago and I have noticed that these are quite a bit bigger than normal batteries, so only use them in items that they will easily fit into. I've started using Lidl's own re-chargeables over the last few years, though, and have found they fit in everything without any problems. They're also much cheaper than standard Duracells. Win/win.

I haven't been caught out mid-play... yet. Now I'm bound to have jinxed myself!

Dali256 wrote:

I never understand why they use N size batteries, so annoying.

Puts me off buying a toy if I see these batteries mentioned in the description!