Who's cooking what tonight?

I use a bit of an odd rice cooking method, where I weigh out my rice in the saucepan and then pour boiling water on and bring it to the boil (stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick). As soon as it’s boil-bubbling I take it to the sink and rinse and drain it a few times with cold water to clear all the starch. Then I pour in my coconut milk (or boiling water if I’m doing regular rice) and simmer on the hob. :+1: I pour in roughly 200ml (½ tin) for 100g of rice. A lower-medium heat is good, as I’ve found the coconut milk can catch if your pan is too hot.

I take it off the heat when I get the craters in the top, and then pop the lid on and leave it to steam through for about 10 minutes before serving. :+1:

But I’ve also been using coconut oil to fry my leftover regular rice in (got to be cold rice) with some beaten eggs for a very quick and tasty coconut egg fried rice. :+1:

1 Like

Us too this is our first steaks since before lockdown as had loads of chicken in the freezer to run down. I’m glasgow, OH is originally D&G but moved up about 2/3 years after we met I dont miss the 2 hour drive down every week :joy:

1 Like

I think everyone has their own sacred way of cooking rice and also pasta.
I measure out the rice in cup, add twice as many cups of boiling water. Bring back to the boil then turn down to simmer until all the water has been absorbed. I don’t rinse it. Not sure how I would do it with coconut milk - will have to experiment.
Sometimes I just buy microwave basmati for ease (gasp!).
I don’t know about rice, but I think for pasta the starchy water is important for binding with sauces, so I cook that in a big pan of well salted water and I don’t rinse it. Big fan of Rachel Roddy in The Guardian re Italian food. A few simple ingredients + alchemy.
Having said all that, the teens would be perfectly happy with flavoured noodles… (sigh).

1 Like

It’s a chicken salad with new potatoes for me tonight, cannot be bothered to cook a complicated dish after work today :zzz:

2 Likes

I used to do everything by eye, but now I weigh most things out. I find it easier, as I’m constantly having to change the portions with the kids getting bigger, and Mrs Chimp’s been working from home and expecting her lunch and dinners too. :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe the starch helps make your pasta sauces go nice and glossy as well. I cook pasta the regular way too. If I’ve cooked too much I toss it in some olive oil before it goes cold, and that can help stop it from clumping. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When your kids get even bigger, there will be no such thing as left over pasta. You will look back on these days with fondness :joy:

1 Like

I barely get leftovers as it is. The boy already eats like a horse. :slightly_smiling_face: ‘What do you want for dinner today?’ ‘Can we have a buffet?’. No. No we can’t. For a start it’s just a regular Wednesday. And whose favourite meal is a buffet? C’mon man.

1 Like

Well, you are asking an open ended question rather than a simple choice involving one option.
I could make bedroom analogies at this point:
‘What would you like to do in bed tonight?’ ‘Can you swing from the chandelier by your ankles as my sex slave?’. No. Because it’s a regular Wednesday… etc.
Versus:
‘Shall we do xyz tonight?’ said with an upward tilt like a member of cabin crew.
Much safer.
And it could still involve pasta.

1 Like

Yum. Do you need company? :joy: :+1: (joking, mods)

1 Like

I am supremely jealous at the sound of some of the food being cooked by you lot tonight. You have very lucky partners indeed! :yum:

1 Like

Some of us are on the receiving end… my OH takes over a lot with a roast or a BBQ. Always welcome!

Well I was cooking a curry until I realised I was missing a key ingredient so my boyfriend ordered us in a curry :joy:

3 Likes

Okay, so… I had two plates lined up everything done, piping hot and fresh. I took my wife’s plate to her, and in those 10 seconds, my alaskan malamute jumped up and swiped it off the worktop. So, I’m fuming. And now waiting for a takeaway to arrive. Furry little **** :joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

Ha! We have a dog food thief too. They can be quick! Dogs are great… really…

Always cookin’ food too!
Sweet potato curry with fresh chilli, ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin (:wink: ) and home grown tomatoes
Mmmmmmmmmm
Kisses to all
:grin:

Having a lazy tea of ham, egg and chips… Back on the healthy stuff tomorrow!

1 Like

Steak and chips here, proper chips fried in beef dripping! :yum:

2 Likes

Gonna be making a pot of chilli con carne and also some soup courgette potato and cheddar soup as we have quite a lot of courgettes ready for picking from the garden lol :joy: xx

An Indian takeaway! Yay!

1 Like

Honey Maple roasted Ham joint with veggies and dauphinoise potatoes :yum:

3 Likes