Wiki Guide - Vibrator Basics

Intro

Everyone is different, so everyone can’t like everything equally. Someone’s guaranteed orgasm maker could be the next person’s ‘meh’. So it’s important to know a bit about what different people like out of their toys.

Shapes

There are lots of different toy shapes, and each can provide a different sensation depending on how and where they’re used. Bullets, Classics, Rabbits, Wands, Love Eggs, Cock Rings, G-spot toys, the list goes on - and that’s without mentioning some of the more gadgety ones (Suction, Flickering, Rotating, Stroking, Rimming, etc). Thinking about how and where you’d like to use a toy can help you decide which shape would suit your needs the best.

There is no ‘best one’ - shape is personal preference, as is appearance - some look realistic, others do not.

Classic

Classic shaped vibrators are straight and inflexible. Length and girth varies from toy to toy, and they often have a tapered tip, for easier clitoral stimulation and insertion. They may have a textured shaft e.g. raised bumps and spirals for extra arousal.

G-Spot

G-spot vibrators are curved, so that they can easily stimulate the G-spot. They usually have a little ‘give’, and often the curved head is pronounced. G-spot vibrators tend to be shorter than Classic (because they are aiming for a specific spot on the internal wall of the vagina). Realistic looking vibrators tend to have a natural curve.

Realistic

Realistic vibrators have a shape more similar to a penis. The tip is shaped like the head of a penis, some toys also having a slight curve or including testicles at the base. The level of detail varies between toys, with some being smooth and others including vein like texturing.

These can be combined with a clitoral vibrator (e.g. a bullet or pebble, or one which offers a suction or flickering sensation). Clitoral vibrators can also be used by themselves for external stimulation.

Some G-spot vibrators have an external arm for simultaneous clitoral stimulation - these are G-spot and clitoral vibrators and can look similar to Rabbit vibrators.

Rabbits are designed to stimulate the clitoris and the vagina simultaneously. They have an insertable shaft and external ‘ears’. Often the shaft and the ears have separate settings, for a tailored experience.

Wands can be mains-powered or rechargeable. They are used externally, for genital stimulation or general massage. They have a broader head than many vibrators, for stimulating a wider area. Some come with attachments, for men and women, for a variety of internal and external experiences.

Other vibrating toys include love egg, cock rings, butt plugs, prostate massagers, strap-ons and male masturbators and more… it just depends which sensitive spot you want to stimulate, and what sort of toy you want to use.

Broad versus Precision

Some vibrators have a rounded tip for broad stimulation, and others have a more pointed tip for precise stimulation.

Preference is personal.

A broader base gives stimulation over a wider area - good for women who enjoy stimulation over the whole vulva area and good for general massage.
A precise tip is good for targeted clitoral stimulation, and for other small sensual areas such as nipples and perineum.

Power: Strength versus Frequency

Vibrations are commonly described as being more or less ‘powerful’. What do we mean by this?

Power can describe both the physical strength of the forces created by the oscillations, as well as physiological effect on the body and mind. (This seems like it’d make a great guide in its own right. Perhaps keep it simple for the Basics?)

Strength is one important quality for a vibrator: stronger motors are able to produce more force to the vibration, meaning the pleasurable pressure waves will penetrate further into the body. More power is not necessarily always better, but getting the power at the right level for your arousal and pleasure is key.

Frequency is also important, as vibrations are physically more powerful when the speed of the motor works in harmony (or ‘resonates’) with the erogonous zones we’re pleasuring.

• Buzzy describes higher frequency vibrations. These can resonate well with smaller, or more surface level pleasure zones.
  • Rumbly describes lower frequency vibrations. These can resonate more with larger or deeper parts.

SFL Buzzy vibes are also fun for some, for desensitising or ‘over-stimulating’ certain spots to give a different sort of sensation. This sort of sensation play works on what is often described as the ‘largest sex organ’, the mind. Advanced?

Battery versus Rechargeable

Vibrators either need batteries, or they will be rechargeable. Check the sales pitch and the packaging.

Battery powered vibrators are less expensive. They are a popular option and can also be a good starting point for people who are finding out what style of vibrator they prefer. Battery life varies, and as batteries lose power so will the vibrator.
A good vibrator might need larger batteries which will need to be changed - worth factoring in to the overall cost, but they are a good on a budget and often have the same power as rechargeable vibrators.

Rechargeable Vibrators come with a charger which can be plugged into a USB socket. These tend to be more expensive, but there are no battery costs. They are often made with silicone rather than plastic. They can be a good investment for people who know what they like, as well as for those who want a luxury item. With good care and frequent use they can last years.

Depending on speed and settings, a vibrator may need to be recharged or have a change of batteries after 1-3hrs total use.

Look at how many batteries it needs. 4 AA will be more powerful than 3AA.

There’s no difference between AA and AAA apart from size. AAA are smaller, and therefore hold less charge/capacity. Run out faster.

Is this accurate?

V versus A

Extras

1 Like

I’ve made us a wiki guide topic to see how it goes. :slightly_smiling_face: This means that anyone TL1 or higher can edit this post. :+1:

I’ve selected ‘Vibrator Basics’ as the first Guide Topic, and I’m going to chuck in a few loose section markers to start us off. :+1: Add anything you want to (snippets to include, fully polished paragraphs, details you think we’ve overlooked, etc), cross out/delete things(?), and let’s see how we get on. :slightly_smiling_face:

We can still add comments and conversation in separate posts, so no need to jam everything into the wiki. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Nobody fancy this? I can change the guide subject if anyone has anything else in mind?

Hi @Ian_Chimp

This sounds great but I wasn’t sure what you mean by a “wiki guide topic”.

I’ve noticed I can edit your post. Do you want us to edit your text to give an outline to vote on later?

Thanks! :grin::+1:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. That post is ‘wiki’, so it can be edited by anybody TL1 Basic or higher (so pretty much everyone :slightly_smiling_face:).

If people could go in and write/edit any of the sections:

Intro

Shapes

Broad versus Precision

Strength versus Frequency

Battery versus Rechargeable

V versus A

Extras

And write up what you think they should say (either sketch it out with some bullet points so someone else can flesh it out, or go straight in with a full polished paragraph, etc, etc). Add in any other sections if you think you need to. This first one will be quite loose as we figure out the best ways to collaborate. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I think the author of the topic (me in this case) would get some kind of final edit privilege, but I’m happy to work out the etiquette as we go along. :slightly_smiling_face:

(all TL3 Regulars will be able to create wiki posts, so they won’t always be mine :slightly_smiling_face:)

Ok. Got it! Thanks for clarifying.

I’ve had a stab at a few paragraphs on strength vs frequency. Obvs with this sort of thing I’d say it’s totally fair enough that the OP/editor has final authorship. I’m also happy for others to disagree/ discuss different viewpoints and add to or amend any text.

This being a community thing, I don’t think my views are any more or less valid than other people’s so I’m more than happy to send ideas out to be judged, torn down, or ‘peer reviewed’ in some way.

I wonder, could be a way to do this using a voting system?

I can imagine toes being trodden on, original meanings being lost through editing, or the project losing focus and direction if everything is open to anyone to edit freely. I may be wrong, but this looks like some more structure or etiquette could be well worth developing.

Thanks for setting this up, @Ian_Chimp . This looks like a great project. Hope it takes off, and I hope I can help!

We’ve got our first foot in the door (thanks @Knottydevil :slightly_smiling_face:).

I was typing this out and then Knottydevil replied and made a lot of the same points. :slightly_smiling_face: So I’m just going to chuck some thoughts down for discussion:

• I think if anyone wants to take part there should be an element of acceptance that your contributions may not make the final edit, but will still be incredibly useful to the project as a whole.

• Discussion can take place ‘below the line’ (and obviously normal forum rules apply at all times). I’m not sure on voting, but there are a couple of menu stragglers that would suggest it’s possible on some level? No idea though.

• Topic author gets final edit privilege. And if an author is too heavy-handed/un-fun then it’ll mean people will be less likely to collaborate with them in the future.

• All the edits are logged, so we should be able to see what’s been lost/gained each time. I’m not sure how it’ll work if two people edit simultaneously, but that’s why we’re trying it all out now. :slightly_smiling_face:

• If this does become popular we can ask Brenna for a new Guide category (or tag) so we can group them together. (no idea if she’ll agree :slightly_smiling_face:)

• I think all views should be Lovehoney appropriate (or at least acknowledge that we’ve gone off-script).

• All contributors get a @Knottydevil, @Ian_Chimp, etc in the footnote.

Any other suggestions on good Wikiquette? (or things I’ve overlooked in those above)

I tried making notes in there, but it didn’t lend itself well to it. :slightly_smiling_face: Pulling bits out for discussion below the line might be better?

SFL Save for Later (?:slightly_smiling_face:)

@Ian_Chimp and @Knottydevil
I’ve had a go at the Shapes section.

Are we including Rabbits and Wands? I’ve left those out as I thought they might have a page of their own, but I’m happy to add them in.

Thank you @MsR. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

This is more for practice I’d say (though if we get a useable Guide out of it then that’d be perfect :+1:).

I picked Vibrator Basics as an intro/overview because it’s one of the most typed answers on my phone :slightly_smiling_face:. I think each toy type can have its own guide (and multiple ones too, depending on what people decide to create their own guides on), so Rabbits, Wands, G-spot, Classic, Bullet, Suction, Flickering, Thrusting, etc can all have a more detailed day in the sun at some point.

For this one (rough aim) I’m thinking of keeping it as simple but informative as possible. So, what sort of things do you wish you’d known when you were buying your first vibrator? Did you learn anything the hard way? That sort of thing.

Does that make sense?

And it’s completely editable at this stage, so add extra sections, delete anything you don’t like the sound of, rewrite anything you like. :+1:

That will help us figure out what’s bad/good etiquette, so we can maybe build some rules/workaround for working together going forward. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep.
Have a look and see what you think?
I’m off to check out Classic Vibe and G-spot vibe shapes to make sure I’m not writing baloney!

Personally I think you’ve gone too detailed too quick. :slightly_smiling_face: I like the descriptions, but ideally I think a list of all the shapes would be good, with a shorter blurb for each. Then you can use those to springboard into a more detailed description of the shape. :+1:

You may even be able to use the Topic format to add some jump tos? (it would have to be a clean Guide topic though, so build in one, copy & paste into another :thinking:). Let me see…

I have one eye on the final word count too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Classic vibrators are straight and inflexible - length and girth varies from toy to toy, but a long classic shape can be long enough to hit the cervix for women who like that sensation. Classic shapes often have a tapered tip, for easier clitoral stimulation and insertion. They may have a patterned shaft e.g. raised bumps and spirals.

G-spot vibrators are curved, so that they can easily stimulate the G-spot. Often they have a little ‘give’, and often the curved head is enlarged. As with Classic shapes, length and girth can vary, but G-spot vibrators tend to be shorter than Classic vibrators (because they are aiming for a specific spot on the internal wall of the vagina).

@MsR @Knottydevil

How about something like that? It’d have be down to author preference, but it seems workable?

How do we format that?

Also - snag (?): what if two people are writing / editing at the same time?

I don’t think you’d need to? Unless you were the topic author? But all I did was insert a link to the post under the shape type. :+1: (and a link to the OP under ‘back to top’)

Not sure yet. :slightly_smiling_face: That’s why I’ve left it as a bit of a free for all to see if we can trip ourselves up before we settle on a method. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

There’s lots of different ways of doing things. I’m not 100% that those Jump Tos are any more effective than one detailed post with a bigger description of the vibes in?

Well, something to mull over. :slightly_smiling_face::thinking:

I think one of the challenges will be editing them down into visually appealing and easily digestable posts.

I say chuck as much as we can in, and then we’ll pare it back. :+1: It’ll get us used to saying and hearing things like ‘hmm. Not sure about that Ian’, etc

1 Like

Re: more than one person working on it at the same time. Something gets lost - either the work of the last person to finish (unless they save it to their own PC), or the changes made to the text by the first person to finish. Can’t edit text which is no longer there…

Did you lose something? Or speculating?

We can both go in now and test it if you like?

I think I overrode someone else, but I’m not sure what / who!
I had the option to delete or override - really sorry if I picked the wrong option. It was just in the last minute or two so I don’t think anyone has had time to write up their lifetime’s research…
I wonder if there is a way of making it open just for one edit at a time?