Any info/experience (more for the girls)

Hey lovelies,

Well I'm looking at having my contraceptive implant removed asap. After 6mths of having it in I've not had a period which is fab, but the trade off for that is I've been unable to lose weight. Since being on my previous pill, anti d's then this I gained some weight & despite dieting and doing the 30 dayshred every night I've not been able to lose this extra weight. Which is killing my self confidence, I feel so unattractive and blah but I'm not even eating badly or being lazy I'm trying but just not getting anywhere.

So I'm looking at getting the copper coil fitted instead as this is the only non hormonal option (condoms are a no no, I hate them and my oh isn't. A fan either). My request is can anyone tell me how they've found it, if they've got it or had one fitted before? I'm really hoping this will get my body back to normal and then I will start losing weight again and feel like all the exercise and dieting isn't a waste of time.

Thanks for any info you can offer 😊 x

Hi I have the merina coil , and it's been fine next to no bleeding a bit of cramping around the time my period would of been , only problem I've ever had was the strings were too long so had to be trimmed and it is a bit uncomfortable when you first have it fitted like a bad period pain / contraction .

Hope this helps xx

I also have the Mirena (we call it an IUD in the states) I had extra spotting at the beginning, but now it is fine. I have not had the weight issues I had when I was on the pill and the pill also killed my libido.

I believe the version of Mirena I have has very low hormones.

Thanku elle&em I've heard of the mirena but I have to avoid that as it's a hormone based device. I need to go with the Copper Coil as that doesn't use any hormone, but appreciate the info x

Going to keep an eye on this thread. I can't use hormonal contraceptives either, however I'm not currently in a sexual relationship. I would like an idea of what may be suitable for ne when the time comes though, im so clueless!

I've decided to stay away from hormones now, after being on Microgynon for 10+ years. Stopped using it 2 years ago, and have seen a dramatic increase in my libido.

we use condoms, and they're OK for now, but do kind of interrupt the flow a bit sometimes... Would be interesting to see what other hormone-free methods there are.

One or two Lovehoney forum users use the Fertility Awareness Method, and there's a book on how to do it. Not tried it myself, but it involves charting temperatures and testing your cervical mucous and stuff like that, so quite involved. Not good for those wanting a quick and easy method. But from what I hear it is effective if you follow all the rules, and stick to other contraception on your fertile days.

I have been on several forms of contraception, the most reason being microgynon (I was on that originally for years with no issues but doesn't agree with me now)

I'm going on the iud (copper coil) as I can't use hormonal contraception.

The only things I've been advised is that it will make periods heavier and longer so it's not recommended if you suffer with bad periods x

If you go with a coil be aware of the "strings" that hang down. I had to also have mine trimmed way down because they bothered my partner. Granted I have a Mirena, but the copper coil may be similar with the lead string which are more like a thin wire. I think someone else may have mentioned it above but I would add a big +1 on that. You may want to ask they be trimmed down upon the initial insertion if you have a longer partner.

What I like about the IUD / coil is you do not have to think about for up to 5 years. In addition, my monthly visit is very limited to spotting so I like that benefit as well. I understand the hormonal concern and wish you the best finding something that works for you.