Implant and Side Affects . . .

I'm currently on the pill (microgynon 30) but i have a tendancy to forget it now n then so i need to have something a bit more perminant that i dont need to remember to take (another kid is NOT wanted for a few years yet!)

The doctor has told me not to go on the injection because i want long term cover (which im more than happy to accept - NEEDLE!) and has suggested either the implant or IUS (Intrauterine System) but the IUS i have to manage myself, checking its in place constantly, so i'd rather avoid that!

But from what i've been given to read there are various side affects to the implant such as Acne, tender boobs, mood changes, etc . . .

Was just wondering if anyone was on it and has had any of that stuff or anything else since being on it and how they manage it etc

Thanks guys

:)

xxx

Ive had the IUS since march and you dont actually have to keep checking it. once its settled and youve had itchecked 6 weeks later, the strings tend to settle in a little place. I've had no side affects from it apart from light spotting at the very begining. no periods either! I was going to get the implant but I know far to many people that fell pregnant on it. I'm recommending the IUS left right and centre.

I am having the implant fitted again ( had it years ago and no problems ) on Friday, i think it is the easiest safest contraceptive method but i would speak to your doc first to find out what would work best for you. If you are worried about possible side affects then try the Cerazette pill for a few months first as that is the same as the hormone as in the implant so you can try it before you get an implant fitted.

id say do not bother at all. as the implant is invasive and will have hormonal side effects, you may aswell just get a copper coil. i feel so freeeeee not having to depend on hormones to prevent pregnancy! it lasts for 5 years, or 10 if you have had children (as you get a different coil) and you dont even know its there.

the side effects at first are period related such as pains and heavy bleeding but ive had it for 15 months now and i get no pain, and my periods are around 3/4 days long.

saves you from having the emotional and physical side effects of hormone packed contraception and gives you peace of mind knowing that you dont have to remember to take the pill, or go and get another injection every few months. after 5/10 years your doctor sends you a letter saying that you need to go and get it removed as after that it wont be 99% effective anymore.

easy peasy smiley

oh also, it doesnt hurt anywhere near as much as people make out. it takes about 5 minutes to get put in. if you have any valium handy, it helps you relax a lot

I had the implant for a year and gained 2 stone, had a 'period' every two weeks and was an emotional wreck. I did get bigger boobs though! I was the same on cerazette which is based on the same hormone so maybe try that or the injection before the implant? My local PCT made me agree to keep it in for at least 9 months.

I just realised I repeated half your message, hourglass :-)

I had the fifty shades clamps to try. I've half written it, will finish it this week :)

Thanks guys!

I just dont like the thought of going an having a needle shoved in me every so often, but one to put the implant in i could handle. Plus i want long term and the doctor doesnt recommend the injection for longer than 6 months as the effectiveness decreases after that time, so my main choices are implant or IUS

I think i may ask the doctor to try the cerazette for a while to see how i react, then hopefully in that time i can find out more about the other two and make a decision

xxx

At least you get to try before you are stuck with it long term with cerazette so nothing lost. I had the injection and had a non stop period on that ! and I have two friends who have both had to have their IUS removed by general anasthetic in the last 12 months so for me implant was the only option. ;-)

I'm another one suggesting you request Cerazette for a while - give it a good 3/6 months I'd say to really get a feel for it.

On the implant alone I have spots, spotting, no period but hellish cramps, headaches etc... give me cerazette AND the implant, and I'm pretty much side-effect free, But then, I am about double the normal weight of most women!

Cerazette will give you a good feel for it though :)

I did not get on with Cerazette, crazy periods and horrendous headaches but the implant was fine.

I was on the implant for 2 years, I had a long bleed when I started it but then only a few periods over the two years. I didn't have problems with weight gain, tender boobs.. I came off it in the end because I felt that my skin was getting bad and didn't require contraception any more.

However since coming off the implant my skin hasn't got any better so I'm thinking it may not have been due to that!

I would have preferred an IUD but they couldn't get it in my cervix. If you're happy with the hormones from the impant then why not get an IUD (mirena coil) I've heard that the IUS can have side effects of heavy bleeding. Also... if you're needlephobic then the implant isn't brilliant!! x

Ideally i need to be on the combined pill because i need the estrogen hormone (PCOS!) but i just forget to take it!

But i need the contraception more due to my new lifestyle and my doctor has suggested for me to either try implant or IUS since i forget my pill, she didnt say much about the IUD, not sure why

I wouldnt say i have a needle phobia, more an avoidance of them! Thats why my tattoos are on my back so i couldnt see them being done

xxx

At the end of the day you need to make your own mind up. Everybodies body reacts differently.

Personally I had the implant for 7 years, had it taken out for 2 then put back in 18 months ago. I didn't have any associated weight gain or hormonal problems. I love it. The only side affect I got was spotting for the first few months and then apart from the short time it was out I haven't had any periods at all.

During the time I had it taken out I was on the pill and this send me loopy. The pill doesn't agree with me at all.

I wouldn't try the injection as my friend had a reaction to one and had a period lasting 5 months. There was nothing anyone could do you just have to wait for it to wear out of your system.

Also, with the injection it takes much longer for your fertility to return.

I've never tried or wanted to try an IUD I've had friends who have both loved and hated them.

Tracey3x wrote:

Ideally i need to be on the combined pill because i need the estrogen hormone (PCOS!) but i just forget to take it!

But i need the contraception more due to my new lifestyle and my doctor has suggested for me to either try implant or IUS since i forget my pill, she didnt say much about the IUD, not sure why

I wouldnt say i have a needle phobia, more an avoidance of them! Thats why my tattoos are on my back so i couldnt see them being done

xxx

I don't know if it depends on individuals but my frind who had PCOS was refused the implant, they recommended the injection or one type of the pill. I don't think she considered IUD as she also had endemetriosos and didn't want to risk more scar tissue from an invasive proceedure in that area.

I was put on the pill because of my PCOS (only got diagnosed about 5/6 months ago) so when i missed the odd one it didnt matter because i wasn't having sex, but now i am i need the cover

I have only ever been on the pill and never tried anything else so wouldnt know how i may react to having it, just wanted to see if many people have had side affects from it really

My doctor said the only way i could help my PCOS is to stay on the pill to get the estrogen, so whatever i choose it wont be helping it as the others only give you progesterone which i dont need

If i have to choose between risking getting pregnant because i forget my pill and PCOS symtoms, then id take the latter!

I have one kid that i have to raise alone, im not doing it with two!

xxx

*progestogen

I was going to go on the implant but this year i need to be in control of my periods so going back on the pill , best friends wedding ect . The implant works for some people and doesnt for others , you could bleed inbetween I cba with that .

Had 3 implants in total. The first 2 were fine, then I had the 3rd one put in!!!! Overnight I went completely insane. For 20 months I bled almost constantly, suffered with constant headaches, cried at the drop of a hat, became the wife and mother from hell with severe mood swings, became scared of going out alone or to anywhere new and worse of all, my libido didnt just take a nose dive - it crashed and burned. It was awful. Got the implant removed and i was like a new woman. and have now got the copper coil. Best thing ever.

IUS is a coil that works through hormones, whereas an IUD is a coil that works through copper. if youre gunna get a coil, you may aswell get an IUD. why anyone chooses to have extra hormones pumped into their body, i dont know

fistinglover69 wrote:

IUS is a coil that works through hormones, whereas an IUD is a coil that works through copper. if youre gunna get a coil, you may aswell get an IUD. why anyone chooses to have extra hormones pumped into their body, i dont know

Ooops I always get them the wrong way round!! I need the hormones to control my crazy periods! x