Any other language learners here?

I love languages, and with the current lockdown situation now's a great time to be doing some learning.

Anybody else learning languages? if so what are you learning? what do you want to learn in the future?

I've been learning Finnish and Swedish for a while now, and I've just started on Norwegian.

1 Like

I started learning Japanese 2 years back. Taking a break as itā€™s not the easiest language to learn.

1 Like

My first language is Welsh, clearly learnt English in school and I'm utilising Duolingo to improve my French.

The kids are learning Spanish at the minute. They're really very good. The only downside is that I have to learn it too just to stay one step ahead. šŸ™‚

Thanks to encouragement from my lady, I am trying to learn sign language. She learnt it at school, so was able to help a young deaf lad to buy what he wanted at a local chippie, when the staff there didn't have a clue.

I've tried to learn French a few times as an adult but it's just not sticking. I learnt very basic German in school, and was impressed I could recall some of it so I'm going to try improving my German.

I've been learning Japanese for a couple of years. I used to go to a great evening class but sadly it's been discontinued. I bought some textbooks but trying to self-study is tough! If anyone has been successful with self-study I'd be grateful for any tips šŸ˜Š

1 Like

I started learning Welsh a couple of years ago when I decided I wanted to live and work in Wales. Iā€™d say I can read much better than speak it because I learned on Duolingo.

I also know some French as Iā€™ve learned that on and off since I was little. I could probably follow a conversation as long as it wasnā€™t too informal.

I know some words and phrases in Spanish, enough to get by and learning karate has taught me a bit of Japanese. Also did a year of German at school but Iā€™d say thatā€™s the language I know least about.

Love languages. What else can people speak?

1 Like

I know moron is carrot and halen is salt in Welsh from holidaying there a lot in the 80`s!

I can speak Butcherā€™s Back Slang quite fluently, and me and my OH can have fun when weā€™re out using it! Things like pointing out someone wearing a toupee etc!

1 Like

Sorry Will, I donā€™t think thatā€™s what they were sayingā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really? :joy:

I couldnā€™t resist. :slightly_smiling_face: I looked it up and ā€˜moronā€™ does indeed mean ā€˜carrotā€™. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I love Duolingo. :slightly_smiling_face: I did the French and the Spanish one. I tried some others but anything with a non-Roman alphabet is too much for me. I think Iā€™d need a reason to do it, rather than just mild curiosity. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes moron is carrot :carrot:

Duolingo is great, used it to go back to French a while ago and see how much I could remember. Though it teaches a very formal version of whatever language youā€™re learning. I tried out my Welsh with locals a few times and theyā€™ve pointed it out.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised no one has mentioned ā€œpopty pingā€!!

Haha the Welsh word for microwave is meicrodon ā€“ meicro being Welsh for micro, and don/ton means wave, not popty ping. Also on the same topic, jellyfish isnā€™t pysgodyn wibli wobli itā€™s sglefren fĆ“r. Youā€™ve been told a classic lie :dragon:

1 Like

I can speak French and German. I taught myself basic Croatian when I was going on holiday. I taught myself to be a count to ten in Russian, Czech and Welsh.
I started to learn Latin but lost interest in it. I picked up basic Spanish watching Locked Up on channel 4. Funny story: my wee cat, Tara, now sadly gone, loved to sleep on my bed so Iā€™d call her downstairs for supper (her brother came straight away). She didnā€™t come downstairs on this occasion so I called again. And again. Then I shouted ā€œTara, nos vamos.ā€ (Spanish for (I think) weā€™re going). There was a thump as she jumped off the bed then a thundering (she was only a slight wee thing) down the stairsā€¦

1 Like