I wouldn't normally ask but could you support our push for a GCSE in Sign Language

I am sure quite a lot of you are not aware of my job (or Kinkywings) or about British Sign Language in general. It is the only official Sign Language in the world and is used my more than 70,000 Deaf people in the UK (DWP 2003).

Currently, BSL users don't have the opportunity to gain a qualification in their language because there isn't one. Signature the offical body for Sign Language qualifications are trying to get support to show that deaf people should be allowed to gain a qualification in their language like we do with English or anything else.

I would really appreciate it if you took a minute to fill in the form to show you agree with BSL users being allowed to gain a qualification.

http://www.signature.org.uk/gcse.php

very good cause OV!

I'm not a BSL signer, but I undertand how important it is. We've been teaching our toddler Makaton sign, and it really does help him communicate.

The more people that can communicate by sign, the better. A qualification is a very good idea!

Done

W

signed.

would love to be able to learn BSL one day.

Done

done.

thanks y'all. I'm a teacher of the deaf, so use sign language daily.

Toycar, any reason other than the obvious your teaching your son makaton?

Everyone, theres free courses all over for learning some sing... I usually retweet on my twitter...

Its a great thing to have pushed as in general most deaf children rarely get high pass rates in their GCSEs due to the language and having everything interpreted for them. Most lack vocabulary and grammar to succeed. Giving them a qualification that will let them do it with minimal teacher support would be a boost for my students!

Thanks all.

Hi OV, no learning difficulties if thats what you meant.

We've been doing sing and sign etc with him since he was little, and its amazing the number of signs he can do. We've found that this, along with his still unclear speech helps us understand what he's trying to tell us.

toycar69 wrote:

Hi OV, no learning difficulties if thats what you meant. External Media

We've been doing sing and sign etc with him since he was little, and its amazing the number of signs he can do. We've found that this, along with his still unclear speech helps us understand what he's trying to tell us.

yeah i did wonder Makaton is such a limited language in my opinion but im very Pro Sign. My nephew goes to baby sensory and theres sites for signed stories etc... its a huge movement compared to what used to be out there :D.... i used to teach deaf reception age.... erratic signs!!!

that or you watched meet the fockers ;)

my future children will sign and Ive very much for it being taught in schools.... love my job as draining as it is!!!

Signed here, too. I did a course in ISL (Irish version), because at the time I was working as a street fundraiser, and both on the street and in some of the charitable foundations we'd go to for training, I'd meet people who were deaf and couldn't communicate comfortably with me. I'd picked up a few choice phrases because when I was younger I'd had a friend who was deaf and we needed some sign language to talk to him as his lip reading was still a work in progress, so it really got to me that I actually couldn't understand or respond to various folk.

I'd love to do a BSL course, if only to erase the 'bad habits' I've got from learning the Irish version, and to expand, since obviously the course was rather basic (enough to get by, but clumsily). I actually think it's something that should be taught in schools by default, at least at a beginners level, since we're so keen on teaching kids foreign languages and yet we neglect to teach them to communicate with people who 'speak' English through another medium. I actually wanted to take my daughter to baby sign classes to get her a start, but they're prohibitively expensive. :(

agree fully BB.

ISL is totally different language to BSL... but yeah I have shocking habits in sign langauge only because I've done it for so long.

I catch myself speaking in sign language grammar, writing in BSL! (shocker) and its ever worse the fact that there are regional signs... so my learned signs are not used in london! lol. hilarious!

Done

I did learn a little in school.

there was a deaf student and his TSA ran a few lunch time clubs as a social thing so we could all comunicate.

only problem was because the lad was about 12 they used a mix of BSL, mackerton and signs that he devised himeslef, so wasn't "proper"

the kids TV shows on the bbc always amuse me ( think it is called "something special") as it's an interesting way to communicate.

most kids shows are now signed.

Kids in school usually use signed supported English (BSL signs in spoken english order.)

ahh well this was a long time ago

the one im thinking of actually teaches signs. I catch it in the mornings if i'm up early

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33Ip8MX4Lw

sweetlove666 wrote:

the kids TV shows on the bbc always amuse me ( think it is called "something special") as it's an interesting way to communicate.

Aye, "Something Special", with Justin, the guy they have on every single bloomin' show! It's quite good, teaching signs (although again it's more the Makaton style than pure BSL) and showing disabled kids so that kids grow up used to seeing folk who seem different.

Signed.

Wish there could be more funding for BSL.

BashfulBabe wrote:

sweetlove666 wrote:

Aye, "Something Special", with Justin, the guy they have on every single bloomin' show! It's quite good, teaching signs (although again it's more the Makaton style than pure BSL) and showing disabled kids so that kids grow up used to seeing folk who seem different.

http://www.makaton.org/about/something-special-sign-allegation.htm

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/41884-hi-kids-im-f--you

lolol... he is a very jerky signer and its makaton signing yeah but most are similar to BSL!

Check this out http://www.signedstories.com/ its great!

SnL wrote:

Signed.

Wish there could be more funding for BSL.

yeah funding is crap for BSL unless you can prove its valuable to your job :(

I'd love to learn BSL and tried to years ago but they cancelled the course and I don't have anyone to practice with or use it on so it probably wouldn't be worth it......