Author crushes

I'm reading The Rainbow by DH Lawrence at the minute and page by page I'm getting more and more smitten with Mr Lawrence because of the amazing understanding he has of love and passion. I realised I've actually had a crush on him for a long time, since I first read Lady Chatterly's Lover when I was 15...what an eye opener to the world of sex that was!

Just wondered if anyone else has any author crushes they'd care to share?

Other than the above I also have a bit of a thing for Leo Tolstoy, Thomas Hardy and (since reading her short story) Love Honey's Carly!

xxKPxx

I have a man crush on Richard Laymon (RIP). Just to try and get into his mindset, his imagination and ability to plunge into the depths of depravity and twistedness just amazes me.

If it had to be a woman, it would clearly be Fredrica Alleyn. One of her books just opened up a whole world to me, I love her imagination.

Nexas wrote:

Aww now I'm completely jealous Carly :-p

I dunno, it's weird. I love Anne Rice's writing style and you immediately think "Damn, I'd love to meet this woman" but recently her style has changed and she's writing about Jesus rather than sexy vampires and that went right out of the window LOL

hahahahaha, sounds soooo much like something my OH would say :-P lolx

Nexas wrote:

hahahahaha, sounds soooo much like something my OH would say :-P lolx

o_O Really?

You've seen his updates recently,so yah, totally something he'd say, lol

LoveHoney - Carly wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

I'm reading The Rainbow by DH Lawrence at the minute and page by page I'm getting more and more smitten with Mr Lawrence because of the amazing understanding he has of love and passion. I realised I've actually had a crush on him for a long time, since I first read Lady Chatterly's Lover when I was 15...what an eye opener to the world of sex that was!

Other than the above I also have a bit of a thing for Leo Tolstoy, Thomas Hardy and (since reading her short story) Love Honey's Carly! External Media

xxKPxx

The crush is mutual! External Media

I totally understand the author lovin'! I have a big thing for a few authors. Edgar Allen Poe has always been a favourite, especially for his lesser known pieces. I know the man was a bit of a drunken fool but his words and fluency really emphasise the vulnerable side to him which makes him all the more endearing!

I'm also a little bit infatuated with Richard Dawkins. I know he's technically not an author but a scientist that sidelines as an author, but his passion for his work, the way he explains things and his general nerdiness always leaves me smitten!

Aww golly gosh Miss Drew, that's mighty sweet of you to say External Media *Note: I intended this to be said in the manner of a Southern Belle but my impressions are notoriously bad so to get the full effect of my saying it I recommend reading it like Scooby-Doo!

I have fairly limited experience of Poe's work, I read some when I was quite young and found it a bit too dark for my "fraidy-cat" mind. Once I remember having to sleep in my parents room after my dad read me The Raven poem before bed! I really enjoyed The Gold-Bug though, reading that helped me solve one of the cyphers in a cryptography challenge (don't judge my nerdiness too harshly!) On your reccomendation I may raid the bookshelf for other Poe titles, it's about time I looked at some other authors (having been flitting between Dickens, Hardy and Lawrence novels for far too long!

By the way, if it's Poe's horror-mystery style that you like I'd recomend Turning of the Screw by Henry James...it's is quite a gripping/terrifying experience to read!

xxKPxx

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I've never had a thing for authors, though I do love the characters in the Anne Rice books at the moment. Spesh the vampire Louis. And I'm going to leave it that from now on before mister Nexas comes along tells me something I'm not going to like...

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I've never had a thing for authors, though I do love the characters in the Anne Rice books at the moment. Spesh the vampire Louis. And I'm going to leave it that from now on before mister Nexas comes along tells me something I'm not going to like...

Definately going to give these Anne Rice books a go, I think Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of the most erotic books I've ever read. Two recomendations for LH experts is more than enough for me to think there maybe some untapped horn gold for me to enjoy here!

Cheers very muchly guys! External Media

xxKPxx

SmoothOne wrote:

I have a man crush on Richard Laymon (RIP). Just to try and get into his mindset, his imagination and ability to plunge into the depths of depravity and twistedness just amazes me.

If it had to be a woman, it would clearly be Fredrica Alleyn. One of her books just opened up a whole world to me, I love her imagination.

Which Fredrica Alleyn book in particular did it for you and why? I'm going to have a bit of an Amazon binge soon so I'm noting some suggestions like a good and studious bookworm! External Media

xxKPxx

LoveHoney - Carly wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

Other than the above I also have a bit of a thing for Leo Tolstoy, Thomas Hardy and (since reading her short story) Love Honey's Carly! External Media

xxKPxx

The crush is mutual! External Media

I totally understand the author lovin'! I have a big thing for a few authors. Edgar Allen Poe has always been a favourite, especially for his lesser known pieces. I know the man was a bit of a drunken fool but his words and fluency really emphasise the vulnerable side to him which makes him all the more endearing!

I'm also a little bit infatuated with Richard Dawkins. I know he's technically not an author but a scientist that sidelines as an author, but his passion for his work, the way he explains things and his general nerdiness always leaves me smitten!

i HATE richard dawkins!! i hate the way he thinks that everyone who has different beliefs and views to him is an idiot. he winds me up!!

sorry, that name just gets me really annoyed. x

Nexas wrote:

I've gotta agree with that. The man's got good ideas but he acts like a douche half the time.

(I apologise if I offended any douches in this message)

Somehow managed to read that as "sorry if I upended and douches in this massage" THAT sounds painful!!!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

Nexas wrote:

I've gotta agree with that. The man's got good ideas but he acts like a douche half the time.

Somehow managed to read that as "sorry if I upended and douches in this massage" THAT sounds painful!!!

xxKPxx

i think someone needs some sleep!!! x

poppy904 wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

Nexas wrote:

xxKPxx

i think someone needs some sleep!!! x

I need some bed External Media sleep is for prudes lol!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

SmoothOne wrote:

Which Fredrica Alleyn book in particular did it for you and why? I'm going to have a bit of an Amazon binge soon so I'm noting some suggestions like a good and studious bookworm! External Media

xxKPxx

It was one called The Bracelet, its out of print and hard to track down now, it was my first Black Lace novel and just acted as a spark to my imagination, it was an explosion to me and my attitude / obsession to everything and anything sexual. But I enjoy most of her books, I'd probably recommend Fiona's Fate as one to try. Hope that helps.

SmoothOne wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

SmoothOne wrote:

xxKPxx

It was one called The Bracelet, its out of print and hard to track down now, it was my first Black Lace novel and just acted as a spark to my imagination, it was an explosion to me and my attitude / obsession to everything and anything sexual. But I enjoy most of her books, I'd probably recommend Fiona's Fate as one to try. Hope that helps.

Cheers dude! I'll check those out External Media

xxKPxx

Completely obsessed with Jane Austin (predictable I know) but have dirty fantasies about what men she encountered to create the men in her books!

x

PS Am a LH book virgin - soon to pop her cherry!

x

masterandslave wrote:

Completely obsessed with Jane Austin (predictable I know) but have dirty fantasies about what men she encountered to create the men in her books!

x

"Ooooh Mr Willoughby your riding crop is exquisite"

I'm with you on this one hun...though I also like the idea of ripping the bodices of some of her heroines too!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

masterandslave wrote:

x

I'm with you on this one hun...though I also like the idea of ripping the bodices of some of her heroines too!

xxKPxx

Oooo yea!! Something totally rough in complete contrast to the books!! External Media

x

masterandslave wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

masterandslave wrote:

x

xxKPxx

Oooo yea!! Something totally rough in complete contrast to the books!! External Media

x

I'm glad it's not just me that feels the rampant filth simmering under Austin's tea parties!

xxKPxx

Think there are some books out there about Darcy's naughty side - just need to find them!!

x