Beards, what style have you got / do you like?

We’ve had the topic about pubic hair styles so thought I’d go for facial hair.

I started growing my beard a few years ago and have experimented with a few different styles, more recently focusing on a more defined shape and shaving the neck hairs for a neater line. Here’s my current “design”:

https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/uploaded-photos-2020/257652/401?u=brufton

What beard style do you have (including shaven/none)?

• None / Shaved
  • Trimmed
  • Trimmed & shaped
  • Au Naturel
0 voters

And what style do you like?

2 Likes

Alas there’s no option for “It comes and goes according to whether I’ve forgotten to buy razors”. :joy:

When I do have a beard, these days I keep it trimmed pretty short. It’s an age thing: 20 years ago I could let it grow full and it behaved itself, knew where it was going. Now it just sticks out at all angles like iron filings! :bearded_person:

2 Likes

Closely cropped (1.5mm). Took a bit of getting used to but now I really like it. I also shave the neck every couple of trims

1 Like

Normally trimmed and shaped when I can be bothered​:joy::joy:

1 Like

I normally rock the same sorta beard as Tormund from GoT, but atm it’s all shaved off for Movember! Was a shock to the system the first time I walked outside into the cold haha.

1 Like

I guess you could say I have had a beard for some time . Last time I was clean shaven was 1982 . That was because I was trimming my beard on a Saturday morning after my buddy’s bachelor party , still about half drunk and hungover . The length guard fell off and I plowed a bare strip right across my face . By buddy and his wife thought I shaved because they had asked me to . In the summer months I keep it pretty short , but early as I can remember to stop trimming it in the fall I grow it out to play Santa . Plus I play in the outdoors all winter and it helps seal my motorcycle helmet . My wife of 33 years has never seen me in person without a beard .

2 Likes

I love a beard :heart_eyes:

Seeing it glistening after certain activities is just :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I go for the homeless look often…so the picture in the Halloween thread is pretty much how I look unless I have to make an effort

Purely laziness mightvi add, I’ve done the shapes, designer crap and trimmed, but it always goes back to bushy all over the shop

1 Like

Yes, that can be quite a battle on some days. I did get a little lazy at the start of lockdown as I wasn’t going into the office but after doing a few video calls I decided that I wasn’t getting away with it as much as I thought. And I still had to see people in the shop (before we were wearing masks) :joy:

For anyone else who has had a beard most of their life , how much money do you think we have saved over our lifetime on shaving products ? I have mostly not been clean shaven ( on my face for about 50 years ) .

1 Like

I’m not even sure I know how much razors, etc cost any more? Or how often I’d need to buy them? So 20 years worth of whatever that is. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have bought a couple of trimmers over the years though, and some dye, so that’d have to be deducted. :thinking:

2 Likes

The main reason I have a beard, I used to get bad spots right up to my late 20s which had a severe effect on my confidence. (Nothing like being that age and having a face full of plooks). 2 doctors said acne and provided a cream that did help, but the problem persisted. Finally another doctor took a look (and a close look compared to the others). He suggested I had an infection in my facial hair roots and bad shaving techniques were to blame. Gave me antibiotics and told me to go old school, as in shaving soap/cream, shaving brush and old school safety razor. He maintained the 3,4,5 blade things and the goup shaving gels in cans are the worst things you can use for in grown hairs and razor burn etc. Must admit made a huge difference to my face. Great shaving old school but can be a pain when being clean shaved, hence the beard these days. So if anyone has problems with spots, I suggest changing shaving techniques before thinking it’s acne. And it’s way cheaper than “regular” shaving!

4 Likes

That’s a good point @Scottishfunk about spots, too easy to jump to the worst conclusion.

I have sensitive skin around my neck and can easily flare up so I try to limit how often I shave to give my skin time to rest. Found I can trim my neck in-between shaves to help

Mr V likes stubble. So he keeps it very close with a set of trimmers.

1 Like

I like the whole ritual of shaving. I have never owned an electric shaver, always wet shaved.

A couple of years ago I got fed up of the cost of multi bladed razors, so bought an old school double edge razor, a cheap brush and some proper shaving cream. Haven’t looked back!

I have upgraded the brush to a better more expensive one, tried different blades to find one that suits me. I am really pleased with the results.

2 Likes

Normally trimmed and if I have it longer some shaping too - but I must admit since march I have been a bit lax - it has been more of a let it grow till it is a bit scruffy then trim it back cycle, even my regular upper cheek shaving has been sliding a bit lately…

1 Like

My husband has the most non-communal facial hair imaginable. It sort of forms designer-stubble and just stays like that for a week. With the glasses though it is totally lush, part nerd, part devil-may-care beardie wild man.

2 Likes

I’ve gone for peaky blinder hair style then the beard is trimmed to about 3-5mm with sharp lines on cheeks and throat try and keep it like that most of the time. tried to grow it last year but couldn’t keep it looking neat

2 Likes

Once again I wish I had started growing out my beard earlier for my Santa look . I always forget and get a late start . An older than me gentalman ( that is OLD! ) starts letting his grow out July first . Only a couple weeks of growth until Christmas .

1 Like

I currently have a full beard on the grow again if I can stick it out.
I’ve not wet shaved for nearly 4 years just used to trim on the shortest setting so had a full shadow. This was mainly because I suffer massively with ingrowing hairs when I wet shave.
Occasionally like now I try to go for the full beard but when I get to that uncomfortable itchy feeling, especially around the mouth, I tend to give up and then trim on a 2.4mm to have a bit more of a darker shadow.
Regardless of the length I like to trim so it’s very neat, A longer George Micheal look is what I’m after normally, my FBF jokes it makes me look gay especially when I’m wearing my diamond stud earrings but I’m fine with that!! :relaxed:

2 Likes