Bonus Formatting

Warning! Medium Forum Skill :slightly_smiling_face:

There are couple of extra formatting features that aren’t in the reply window. :+1:

Horizontal Line

That’s simply three dashes (-), asterisks (*), or underscores (_) in a row, all by themselves on a line.

---
___

And they’ll all make this same line:

Strikethrough

To get a bit of strikethrough on the go just wrap want you what struck in double tildes (~), like so:

~~strikethrough a whole load of stuff~~

strikethrough a whole load of stuff

ETA: And these are great: :+1:

And the codes for these are:

<big>Big Text</big>

<small>Small Text</small>

They are html though, so if you want to add italic (etc) to it as well you’d have to use the <i></i> style tags to keep it consistent. :+1:

Eg. <i><big>Big Text</big></i>

Big Text

Extra Emphasis in Bold

For this, wrap underscores (_) around the stressed word(s), like so:

**This is _super-duper important_.**

This is super-duper important.

Warning! These get trickier the bigger they are :slightly_smiling_face:

Tables

To make a table you use the pipe (|) to separate your text into columns. It can get rather fiddly, but the Preview pane is your friend (and the one on a pc is especially useful). It’s probably easier to demonstrate:

Model | Duo | Premium | Classic 
--- | --- | --- | --- |
**Intensities:** | 12 | 12 | 8
**Price:** *(Aug20)* | £179.99 | £169.99 | £119.99
Model Duo Premium Classic
Intensities: 12 12 8
Price: (Aug20) £179.99 £169.99 £119.99

Note It seems to only like dashes (-) for the table header, so stick to those. :+1:

You can also embed links in any of the text as well, and if you make a wide one it’ll let people scroll sideways on it on their phones. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

ETA: You can also align the text in the columns by adding a : (colon) to the ---- | ----

Like so:

Left | Right | Centre
:--- | ---: | :---:
This should be Left aligned | This should be Right aligned | And this will be Centre 
Left Right Centre
This should be Left aligned This should be Right aligned And this will be Centre

Don’t know if anyone will find this useful, but it’s there if you need it. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

And don’t forget about the Sandbox if you want to have a play around. :+1:

Edited to add: @Unifex has suggested this Top Tip to make using Tables a lot easier. :+1:

14 Likes

So useful, thanks @Ian_Chimp! Now watch me totally forget it all the next time I need it :grimacing: Better pin this one for the future!

3 Likes

Only an hour ago I was trying to figure out how to do the strike through and failed to do so!

Thank you @Ian_Chimp :blush:

Thank you, i couldn’t even do some of this on normal documents never mind on here

This is going to be soooo helpful

(I’m not brave enough to try the table just yet :joy:)

2 Likes

Hey! So the table formatting there is markdown, so anything built to assist with using markdown will work.

So apps like this will take away the fiddlyness:

E.g.

Tables Are Fun Mostly Sometimes
1 Blah Fun £3 :sweat_smile:
2 Blah Fun £7 :blush:
3 Yes Fun £66.66 :sunglasses:
4 Ok Fun £9 :poop:

Edit: actually there’s different flavours of markdown so not everything will work, but most should

2 Likes

Excellent shout. :+1: It certainly seems easier than the way I was doing it. :slightly_smiling_face:

(I’m trying to work out your price list. Is it £3 for a Facial, £7 for a happy ending, £66.66 for the full Fifty Shades experience, and £9 for you to take a dump on my chest? :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Very good deduction! Most people don’t go for my tier 4 plan so I have to drop the price for that one.

1 Like

My mind is blown!
. :bomb: :boom: :crazy_face:

Does this make stuff giant

Oh yes it does, how exciting.

If you put three dashes after some text with only one paragraph break it makes the text big

1 Like

That’s showing up as Header2 (## at the start of a line) in my reply window. You can also do Header3/4/5/6 as well (and Header1), but I’ve read one forum’s guide that said you have to respect the order. So the topic title is always H1, and you’re supposed to work your way through them without skipping any (though I may have already done this before I read it…)

I don’t know how strict that is though? It was quite a random find. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edited to add examples:

## Header2
### Header3
#### Header4
##### Header5
###### Header6

Header2

Header3

Header4

Header5
Header6

Oh, interesting @Ian_Chimp, mine doesn’t show that kind of detail - I discovered it completely by accident when suddenly an edit to a post made it huuuuge. Bit of a shock, thought I’d broken it for a second :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello

I’m testing this now. It is really weird :joy:

Edit:

Will this still go tiny?

Ooh yay

This is one so you can make the Summary description a lot more editable in Hide Details. :+1:

So, instead of using :gear: Hide Details, which will give you something like this to start with:

[details="Summary A"]
This text will be hidden
[/details]
Summary A

This text will be hidden

You can type this in instead:

<details>
<summary>
Summary B
</summary>

This text will be hidden 
</details>
Summary B

This text will be hidden

So far these will give exactly the same result on publish. However, the second example is a lot more amendable. :+1: So you could make the Summary header bold or italic, or add an embedded link.

You’d have to use a slightly different format within the <details>block, but if you stick with the <b></b>, <i></i>sort of tags you should be fine. :+1:

So, for example, this:

<details>
<summary>
Lovehoney Forum <a
 Href="https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/certified-and-licensed-badges-discobot-tutorials/257800"><b>Tutorials</b></a>
    </summary>

Many people have been wondering how to get their Certified and Licensed Badges, and it turns out we should all have had a personal message from Discobot when we signed up (I did not get one. I’m trying not taking it personally, but it’s tough). *[Read more... ](https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/certified-and-licensed-badges-discobot-tutorials/257800)*
</details>

Would become this:

Lovehoney Forum Tutorials

Many people have been wondering how to get their Certified and Licensed Badges, and it turns out we should all have had a personal message from Discobot when we signed up (I did not get one. I’m trying not taking it personally, but it’s tough). Read more…

I think the biggest jump in skill compared to the easier way is the embedded link, but here it is in full so you can see where I’ve put the format tags. :+1:

<a Href="https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/certified-and-licensed-badges-discobot-tutorials/257800"><b>Tutorials</b></a>

Tutorials

So, there you go. :slightly_smiling_face: Useless to most, but I’m sure there will be someone planning an ambitious info guide, and this might be just the ticket. :+1:

1 Like

@Lovehoney_Brenna just revealed a nifty trick to do big and small text, which may be a neater way of doing it. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Big is <big>Big</big>

And

Small is <small>Small</small>

3 Likes

Wow, the table is quite impressive :sunglasses:

Toys Number
Dildo 15
Cuffs 2
Paddle 5

1 Like

I just put this in the Sandbox, but here is probably a better place for it:

1 Like

I’ve just figured out another. :+1:

This is an emoji/engorji tip.

If you put 3 or fewer emojis on a line by themselves the forum will turn them in to engorji. However, if you put 4 or more in then it keeps them regular emoji sized.

But… You can trick it by using something like the hairspace code so you can do a line of big ones. :+1: (very useful in Emoji Charades)

So, 3 big cakes

:birthday::birthday::birthday:

4 small cakes

:birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday:

And then you’d need to do this for 4 big cakes:

🎂🎂<hairsp>🎂🎂

3 Likes

:birthday:

And by using <small> 🎂 </small> you can make tiny cakes!!!

2 Likes

That’s interesting, it would only do that for me if I put a full stop in there. :thinking:

:birthday:

It’s the space! <small> 🎂</small> You have to leave the space. :+1:

And you can nest multiple smalls too :slightly_smiling_face: (you can have the tiny ones at the bottom. The rest are mine)