Boyfriend / Men on SSRI - Update after 1 year

My boyfriend went on SSRI medication just over a year ago due to anxiety in the lockdown and pandemic. The doctor said they had seen a large increase in these symptoms currently so he was far from alone. Last week he went back for a 1 year check and to discuss any issues and side effects and I thought the info may be useful for anyone in a similar situation and discussion.

Prior to starting the medication (Zoloft) our sex life was very good and still is. His sex drive was extremely high and he would wank very often, possibly a bit too often :slight_smile: After a month or two on the medication he found he could last much longer until he came which was great initially as he usually finished a bit too quickly before.

Around 3 months he found his ability to orgasm and squirt his cum seemed to have disappeared completely whether during sex or on his own. It was another month or two before we went back to his doctor to check in who said the side effects, although not everyone gets the same, were very normal and unless they were causing a big problem to keep on the medication.

It’s not an issue for me but I thought him not being able to get to cum would be a really big thing but he said now he just doesn’t feel the urge or need to finish or get sexually frustrated if he doesn’t. He said it was around 4 months that it was like someone just flicked a switch and he didn’t feel an urge or need to masturbate at all and hasn’t since then.

It’s been status quo for the last 6 months and last week his doctor suggested to stay on the medication another couple of months then look to taper off if still was not causing big issues and his anxiety symptoms had gone away longer than 6 months.

Seems strange to have to deal with such side effects but we understand we are not alone.

4 Likes

I’m really glad to read his anxiety is under control, got to admit the side effects dont soind too good to me though.

I assume one has to consider what is better on balance for the individual concerned.
Ideally anxiety would be addressed through counselling rather than drugs, but some drugs offer excellent quick fixes. They do not solve the underlying cause though.

Hi, if you search the word Sertraline on here you’ll see that this issue has been raised and discussed before.
You’ll see that you’re far from alone and I’m sure will find some very useful advice there.
Good luck and be patient. Things will improve once he’s able to come off the medication.

1 Like

SSRI drugs, in my opinion are the most evil and destructive drugs society has ever seen, are grossly over prescribed. They are the root cause to the vast majority of mass murders (facts you can research if you wish) and while they do exactly what they say on the box, in the majority of cases the side effects long term (and even short term) are not good.

Having had my spray there, they also must be carefully withdrawn. And I doubt there is any point in waiting three months, but hey his GP is running this experiment on your BF. If he is strong willed and you provide exceptional levels of support, maybe you together should talk to the GP about weening him off them sooner.

Sadly these drugs should be the absolute last resort for very mentally ill people, yet they get handed out like candy or a band aid and not working on the real problem. Chances are your partner did not actually need them, but doctors the world over find that is the quick hit. Laziness on their behalf.

I do speak from personal experience of others around me getting hooked on them and having to get them off. If a doctor ever prescribed me with them I would walk out and not even pay the consultation. That is how strongly I feel about it.

So it’s up to you guys, but life will be better without them, but you must not go cold turkey at all, that will be really bad.

I wish you both well.

Yes this is a widely common occurrence with these types of medications as they target the serotonin levels in the brain along with hormones which in all decreases to the point of being nonexistent.

I’ve been on anxiety/depression meds for a number of years and can definitely relate to this as side effects I got.
For me it’s not been such a great deal but as I’m single and when I’ve had sex it’s kinda been an awkward situation not being able to climax as some people take it like your not into them even though I’ve explained, or they get deflated knowing whatever they do it’s not gonna get me to cum for them… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I was on Seroxat, in 2000, 2001. Depression. I was slowly weaned off them, off completely in 2003. Under the care of the mental health unit, with GP prescriptions. It was all new, about doses. But the side effects, I experienced, long term. It would never ‘fire’ no matter how much stimulation. Also suppressed emotions, completely suppressed. Added the abilty not to reach orgasm. I think it affected me, emotionally, even today, .

2 Likes

Your completely suppressed emotions etc. is why these drugs kill so many people. Besides terrorism, the vast majority almost to all mass murders is by someone on these drugs.

If you look back, do you think or would you have preferred to work through your problem of the time in other ways?

All the best to you even after 20 years, that is not surprising.

1 Like

I’ve been issued theses to help with phantom limb pain and the side effects are starting to kick in.

Might have to consider something else.

1 Like

You need a better doctor willing to do some hard work on solving the actual problem

Diagnosed as Clinical depression, I had no choice, was 2001, I was Sectioned (section 2 mental health act). 28 days , but was released into care team, at home. After 1 week. If i stopped, or, denied taking the meds,i would have been straight back. Held in a Police cell before transferred to a mental health hospital. And sectioned.

My GP did say he overdosed me, too high dosage. It was early days, and he had no clue.

Another team slowly reduced the dose, over a year, and 1/2.

Sorry to hear about your experiences @colbart, that sounds terrifying. Well done for coming out the other side and weaning yourself off the meds, it’s really tough. I was put on SSRIs in 2009 until 2019 when i saw someone privately who changed my meds. Do you still have the side effects now after being off the meds for so long? I have something that was assumed to be a side effect but it has never gone away. I found the SSRIs didn’t do much, if anything for me, i think they made me feel worse because i couldn’t process my feelings. I don’t think they affected my sex drive but i didn’t have much of one in the first place.

I’m glad to hear that your boyfriend’s anxiety is improving @newbiejen. :hugs: It sounds positive that his doctor thinks it will soon be time to reduce the dose. It’s really important to do it slowly and pick the right time to do it. I reduced mine over the spring months because the dark winter months are tough for me. I hope his side effects reduce quickly and he can regain his sex drive again.

Ive been on a hormonal based med for a different condition most of my life (it actually has an off label use for depression) which basically nullified my sex drive completely for 20+ years. So i know exactly what your boyfriend means when he says the feeling just isnt there. it really is like someone has surgically removed that part of yourself.

Its a really difficult side effect to experience, but I’m glad he’s been dealing with it so well and that the meds have actually helped his anxiety. Its great he’s got to a point where they can consider reducing the dose too. I hope it allows him to feel more normal :hugs: