Breakfast, Dinner, Tea?

Hi all, the dressing gown or house coat thread has inspired this thought so I’m curious as to what we all call the daily meals… Is it breakfast, dinner and tea or breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Firstly, I’m aware this is mainly a regional northern/southern thing and it is definitely breakfast, dinner and tea in our house being up in Liverpool (and is without a doubt the correct answer wink wink) Although when referring to work my OH often says lunch over dinner :thinking: so, does anybody else go against the status quo of their area and call it the opposite to the ‘locals’?

2 Likes

I would say breakfast lunch dinner as you drink tea and dont eat it :thinking: but as you said it is regional :joy:

2 Likes

Midlands…breakfast, dinner and tea are the three main meals of the day. Of course you can have a cup of tea, and a “roast dinner” for tea too! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@WillC :joy: ive had this argument loads of times i dont think theres a right or wrong as in a school you have lunchtime with a dinner lady but when you buy a plate set you buy dinner plates and not tea plates :see_no_evil::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

I say breakfast, lunch and dinner although I do occasionally say tea

Hahaha that is very true… and back in school some kids would have school dinners or others would have a packed lunch :laughing:

2 Likes

Breakfast dinner and dinner :woman_facepalming: I’m from Yorkshire and mainly if I mention to the kids if they want tea they think I’m talking about a brew so it’s been adapted to dinner and dinner :confused:

2 Likes

We are in Scotland and we say breakfast, lunch and dinner… but when kids were small their dinner time was referred to as tea time as it was much earlier than ‘adult’ dinner time…

Definitely regional, but I might even be controversial and say there is an element of ‘class’ snobbery to it as well… I had friends at school who thought we were posh as we said breakfast, lunch & dinner as they said breakfast, dinner & tea… but on the positive note they often slipped in a supper later on as well!!! School meal break was called ‘dinner time’ which confused me as a kid!!

3 Likes

Breakfast, lunch and dinner here in Australia

Blows my mind to think people call lunch dinner :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Breakfast, dinner and tea here (in South Wales). But my son says lunch and dinner so it can get very confusing in this house :rofl:

Not controversial I reckon that could be accurate in a lot of cases aswell as regional. It all used to confuse me as a kid too but when I ever asked my parents why that was I got that answer of “it just is” hahaha thanks a lot mum an dad :+1:

Liverpool. I say breakfast, lunch and dinner. But everyone else says tea instead of dinner. Think I’m the odd one out here :sweat_smile:

I suppose for me it’s the possible confusion with the afternoon lunch/dinner being the same. Well, do you mean the earlier dinner or the later dinner? Haha.

1 Like

Breakfast, lunch and dinner for us :grin:

1 Like

Outnumbered hugely here… maybe it’s us that are the strangers lol!

Interesting.

Breakfast, lunch, tea (it’s tea time / Mam what’s for tea). When we were kids we also had supper. After tea, before bed no wonder I am such a foody.

6 Likes

What about second breakfast? Elevenses? Afternoon tea? :yum:

7 Likes

Breakfast, lunch and either dinner or tea, use them pretty interchangeably, confuses the hell out of my child.

2 Likes

Breakfast, Dinner and Tea for me. Don’t forget Supper time too. Always room for a pre-bed snack and a Horlicks.

I’m up north and I call it, breakfast, lunch and dinner but the rest of my family calls it breakfast, dinner and supper. I find the way I say it sounds better personally.

Down south it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner.

1 Like