cats :D

My cats has had her kittens recently :D (i may of mentioned before ;))
upto the pregnancy i was wondering isn't there any sort of product i can buy like a cat bed for pregnant mums which also gives the space for the littlens to crawl around in for the monthish afterwards, plus a shade you can get over your cat bed to make it more private and if your cat gives birth in the wintertime a slot that you could put a heat pad in. I tried finding something along those lines but found nothing (maybe one of you have found something alike :)) I figured maybe this was a gap in the market and i wanted to know, to all you cat lovers out there is this something you would think about for your new mum instead of a cardboard box?
(i used the under-the-bed pull out box for my cat and lined it with towels, but still it looks shoddy)
Just wanted to have some feedback as to wether this would be a good idea? And if so how much would you spend up to when buying one?
Thankyou for your time :D xx

I imagine you would have to use a dog bed.... you'd maybe be better asking on a pet forum?

even though a dog bed is bigger its not a suitable substitute, if you got a plastic one and filled it with towells that would work for the birth but when the kittens are first starting to walk theyd just climb out of the lower bit and wonder off :/ plus the mummy cat has no privacy, my cat wont feed with the kittens when im in the room instead wanting fuss, so the kittens end up mewing for their mother untill i leave the room :/
thankyou for your input thought :) xx

When my cat had her kittens she gave birth in the middle of the bed lol! We had to cut the duvet up to move her onto the sofa in the box we had prepared just to get some sleep.

She only stayed there a few days though before she moved them to a hiding place (much to our panic - spent 2 hours trying to find them!) in the spare room, they were all hiding under a chest of drawers!

I have always found cats will go where ever they feel is safe and comfortable for them and their litter despite our lovely gifts and suggestions!

goodgirl93 wrote:

even though a dog bed is bigger its not a suitable substitute, if you got a plastic one and filled it with towells that would work for the birth but when the kittens are first starting to walk theyd just climb out of the lower bit and wonder off :/

Wait until they can climb! Ours discovered the stairs after 3 weeks (They were upstairs) - cue the baby gate with a wooden board - still found a way to get stranded half way down though lol!

i cant wait till they start being all mischieveous :D i love them to bits already no idea how im gonna to handle selling the little darlings. I really feel like this would be a niche for people who want to pamper their pets, im known as abit of a crazy cat lady, so i know id deffo buy one :D xx

i think people would buy it.... whether mummy kit would use it or not another matter entirely! ( as others have said, they may chose to give birth the place they feel safest)

It sounds like a good idea but never heard of anything similar.

I would say be careful if you have a chimney. My kitten tried to climb up there so we had to put a guard in front of the fireplace.

There are plenty of cat houses/beds that have a top on and sort of enclosed with a small opening. I think these are ideal for cats that have kittens as it gives them the privacy they prefer. My cat gave birth to her kittens in one of the drawers.. an odd spot though as they were wooden and had gaps in.. I literally had to place one of them back with her when it fell down.

As for having another part for the cat to have her space.. cats are generally pretty independant and do what they like. I think they prefer to stay with their kittens but go off when they have to. And under the bed cat beds- I don't recommend it at all! I once had my cat and her kittens in my room to keep them out of harm's way but I couldn't go to sleep! All that meowing got irritating. They easily get squashed under the mommy cat and whine for their milk.

I know we're not allowed to post links.. but I'm sure Lovehoney won't find a strawberry cat/dog bed/house as competition ;P I love this- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270963381968

The under the bed box isnt under my bed :') that would be horrible to try and get to sleep :') plus i dont have an under my bed XD
My cat was pretty good tbf, i set up the box only about 2 days before, and she started having them and then dragged herself to the box and thats where she stayed, weve moved the box from place to place and it doesnt mind her atall so long as she has the box :)
Thankyou all for your help :D xx