Coming off the pill

KirstyLee wrote:

Lovehoney - Rebecca wrote:

KirstyLee wrote:

Just thought I would add a little update in case anyone is interested - I’ve decided that I’m going to come off the pill !

I have a week away next week with my OH and a friend so when I come back I’m going to come off and see how I get on !

Really nervous as I haven’t had a period in so long I’m worried about the cramps interfering with my day to day life (potentially any exams yikes) but I’ve decided I’ve had enough of feeling like this and I need to know if that’s causing it.

Fingers crossed for an improvement 😊

You've got this! I am on day 3 of not taking the pill after being on the pill for 10+ years. I recently picked up a book from Amazon called the Period Repair Manual, I recommend getting yourself a copy. It's full of information about coming off the pill, what to expect and how to counteract some symptoms you might experience during pill withdrawal - your body (mine right now!) will be craving hormones it's no longer going to receive. I've literally braced myself for a rollercoaster of emotions this month!

Thank you!

i am going to order that book now as I’ve seen it recommended a few times online when I’ve been pouring over webpage after webpage for advice.

I know what you mean about bracing yourself for the emotions, it’s worrying me as I have my first exam in December but there is never going to be an “ideal” time to come off that isn’t going to interfere with things

I hope everything goes well for you and congrats on coming off, it’s a huge step to take!

Thanks Kirsty - keep us updated when you do come off the pill.

I'm feeling good today but it's the first day in over a week that I haven't had a headache. Apparently a persistent headache for up to two weeks after coming off the pill is normal. But other than it's business as usual - so far...

I had a dull headache for about 5 days after coming off my pill back in August. I've only had one period since then which is normal in comparison to when we were TTC!

Years ago I came across an article that explained in detail how women should not be on birth control for too long as it can cause problems.

Being the caring Husband I was I brought it up with my Wife and I suggested that she should take a break from the pill and I would either use a condom or get fixed since we both aggreed that we were not fit to be parents because of our lifestyle and Work habits.

Well at least I thought that is what we aggreed to.

When I suggested that she should stop the pill is when she reluctantley told me she had not taken any for over a year and was now pregnant.

While I am greatful for my Son I will never forgive that Woman for betraying me this way.

I would have wanted a child with her in a New York Minute if we had been more mature and had planned for it properly this she knew.

The way she went about it eventually caused the end of our relationship.

Little update for anyone who may be interested

So I never actually managed to find the guts to come off the pill like I wanted, kept putting it off and off.

Well I was late in handing in my repeat prescription, I also handed it in to a different pharmacy and my GP never received the request for it - the new pharmacy was also pretty damn rude and unhelpful.

Anyway my GP isn't able to get my pill until the end of next week, so today is my first day not taking the pill as I ran out yesterday.

So the plan is to stop taking my pill for now and see how I get on....

How frustrating! Hope things go well for you x

KirstyLee wrote:

So I never actually managed to find the guts to come off the pill like I wanted, kept putting it off and off.

Well I was late in handing in my repeat prescription, I also handed it in to a different pharmacy and my GP never received the request for it - the new pharmacy was also pretty damn rude and unhelpful.

Anyway my GP isn't able to get my pill until the end of next week, so today is my first day not taking the pill as I ran out yesterday.

Fingers crossed for you Kirsty, hope it works out for you. Let us know how you get on!

I am on my fourth cycle of not being on the pill. Disappointingly I haven't noticed much of a change yet in the areas I wanted to. My cycles have been a bit erratic (some shorter than others, some longer) and I'm struggling with getting used to not being able to skip a period when it suits me. At the moment I am not seeing much of a benefit but I know it can take up to a year for your body to return to 'normality' post-pill.

KirstyLee wrote:

This is pretty much how i ended up coming off (i ran out when moving house and coudnt get doctors sorted quick enough for new prescription so decided to come off) Ive been off for maybe a month now and I've had 2 periods but neither with the pain i normally experience. I might have been a little down but I'm not sure if thats hormones or just life. Ive heard that it can take around 6 months to normalise hormones after coming off cerazette, and i just figure if I still get the bad pains etc that made me go on it I'll go back on it.

Heidi920 wrote:

How frustrating! Hope things go well for you x

Thank you, yeah slightly annoying but maybe the push I needed to take a break ;

Lovehoney - Rebecca wrote:

KirstyLee wrote:

Fingers crossed for you Kirsty, hope it works out for you. Let us know how you get on!

I am on my fourth cycle of not being on the pill. Disappointingly I haven't noticed much of a change yet in the areas I wanted to. My cycles have been a bit erratic (some shorter than others, some longer) and I'm struggling with getting used to not being able to skip a period when it suits me. At the moment I am not seeing much of a benefit but I know it can take up to a year for your body to return to 'normality' post-pill.

Thanks Rebecca - that's a shame you haven't got the changes you were hoping for. It takes your body such a long time to return to normal after taking the pill, something they never seem to warn you of when they prescribe it! I hope you start to get results you wanted.

Today is the first day of my period, it arrived quicker than I was expecting so I'm wondering if it's a withdrawal period or something .

I ended up with a migraine yesterday so that wasn't much fun! And the stomach cramps have started today, they aren't as bad as I was expecting but I have a funny feeling they will get worse as the day goes on, I'm just so tired today!

subbysam wrote:

KirstyLee wrote:

This is pretty much how i ended up coming off (i ran out when moving house and coudnt get doctors sorted quick enough for new prescription so decided to come off) Ive been off for maybe a month now and I've had 2 periods but neither with the pain i normally experience. I might have been a little down but I'm not sure if thats hormones or just life. Ive heard that it can take around 6 months to normalise hormones after coming off cerazette, and i just figure if I still get the bad pains etc that made me go on it I'll go back on it.

Hey!

Had you been thinking about coming off the pill at all before?

Yeah I've been feeling drained and a little down too (nothing severe) and in totally understand what you mean it's hard to tell if it's just life or side effects of coming off.

That's great you haven't had the pains like you used to! Fingers crossed it stays that way for you!

And yeah that's my view at the moment if periods become too painful I will start taking it again, would just be nice to give my body a break - and some of the replies on this thread are people saying it took them a year for the effects of the pill to completely go! Scary thought

Keep me updated with how you get on

Hey, i hadnt really thought about it but then when i couldnt refill prescription i realised the guy im sleeping with has had a vasectomy and weve both been fully tested so it seemed like a good time to try and come off it.

Hopefully we'll both come off and be fine!