Coming off the pill

Hi Ladies!

Looking for some advice....I’m 25 years old and have been in a relationship with the same man for 10 years.

During that 10 years I have been on the pill (contraceptive), after 3 years, I was taken off my pill at the time and put on a mini pill (Cerazette) as the pill I was on wasn’t suitable for people who suffer migraines.

So basically in the last 7 years I haven’t had a period and until recently I have LOVED that fact.

All of a sudden though I find myself missing periods (I’m insane right ?!) and I’m seriously considering coming off the pill and taking a break

one of the other reasons I’m considering this is I do have terrible mood swings and I can no longer tell if that’s just the way I am or if it’s the pill.

Also since starting the pill I’ve had a much lower sex drive/natural lubrication just doesn’t happen for me anymore. Again I’m unsure after all these years how much of that is me or the pill.

has anyone had any experience with coming off the pill after a few years ?

I’ve read up and I’ve been reading a lot of females have terrible time coming off, headaches, stomach aches, moodiness, depression and I’ve recently started a part time college course (along with full time employment) and I really don’t want it affecting me like that.

also not looking forward to the idea of having periods again as I suffer terribly from period cramps.

Ugh, I think I must be insane to be contemplating this....sorry this is so long !

HI KirtsyLee

I was on the pill for over 10 years, I had to go on it young due to very bad periods! 

I came off the pill 3 years ago, I just couldn't handle the hormone intake and it was perfect for me as the OH had a vasectomy so decided to go pill free and hormone intake free. 

3 years in and I am now considering the coil (after my egg donation process). Don't get me wrong I felt great for not having the PMS like I used to on the pill, but my periods are back heavier and more intense than ever. I just need something for that as it's unbearable. 

I don't want to go back to the pill so I am thinking the coil may be the better of the two for me.

What I found with coming off it was I was very emotional for a while but I feel very level now, it did take the best part of a year or so to feel this level but I do and I really don't regret coming off the pill. I just wish I could deal with the heavy periods! 

The lower sex drive/lack of natural lubrication can definitely be due to the pill. I'm not sure what the side effects are for the specific pill you mentioned but I know that vaginal dryness can be a common reported issue amongst others.

Mood swings are another common side effect as the pill plays around with your hormones. I think it would be worth going to the doctor and discussing the things you've mentioned in this post and see what they'd suggest. It may be to take a break completely, switch pills or try a new style altogether such as the coil or injection.

Side note: I don't think you're insane for considering this. Sometimes the cons outweigh the pros and it sounds like the things you mentioned have made the pill more of a con for you. That's totally fine. You have to listen to your body and do what's right for you. 

Hi, I recently stopped taking my BCP as my husband had a vasectomy also. Prior to this I had been on the pill 17 years and only came off it for two years when we had our children.

I was similar to you with having a low sex drive and just didn't want to be putting hormones in my body anymore. Everybody react differently to hormone pills but I found this article/pod cast really helpful: http://fertilityfriday.com/top-10-unexpected-effects-of-coming-off-the-pill/

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

HI KirtsyLee

I was on the pill for over 10 years, I had to go on it young due to very bad periods!

I came off the pill 3 years ago, I just couldn't handle the hormone intake and it was perfect for me as the OH had a vasectomy so decided to go pill free and hormone intake free.

3 years in and I am now considering the coil (after my egg donation process). Don't get me wrong I felt great for not having the PMS like I used to on the pill, but my periods are back heavier and more intense than ever. I just need something for that as it's unbearable.

I don't want to go back to the pill so I am thinking the coil may be the better of the two for me.

What I found with coming off it was I was very emotional for a while but I feel very level now, it did take the best part of a year or so to feel this level but I do and I really don't regret coming off the pill. I just wish I could deal with the heavy periods!

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your response !

I’m sorry to hear you’re having such a bad time with periods, they really can be absolutely awful to suffer through, I am worried that I will have my first period and just be like “whaaaat have I done ?!” Lol.

I’m really glad to hear that you eventually felt level after coming off, it’s just a pain how it takes so long for your body to get back to it’s normal self - if I was to come off it and find after a while that nothing improved (mood, sex drive etc) then I would probably just need to face facts that it’s probably me and not the pill (and I would most likely go back on it) but it’s something I feel I need to rule out first, I know 10 years is a long time ago but I don’t remember feeling like this back then (but then again it was the start of my first real relationship, honeymoon period etc lol)

I’ve got a week at center parcs end of November so I don’t want to stop taking it before then (don’t want to be feeling rubbish or have a period over that time) but when I do come back I would then be hitting near my first exam time so there is never really going to be a “good time” to come off as such

I have looked in to the different types of coils but they don’t seem like something I would be up for yet, the idea of getting it put in absolutely petrifies me lol - but I really hope if you do go for it that it gives you the relief you need, best of luck on that! x

NatandTom wrote:

The lower sex drive/lack of natural lubrication can definitely be due to the pill. I'm not sure what the side effects are for the specific pill you mentioned but I know that vaginal dryness can be a common reported issue amongst others.

Mood swings are another common side effect as the pill plays around with your hormones. I think it would be worth going to the doctor and discussing the things you've mentioned in this post and see what they'd suggest. It may be to take a break completely, switch pills or try a new style altogether such as the coil or injection.

Side note: I don't think you're insane for considering this. Sometimes the cons outweigh the pros and it sounds like the things you mentioned have made the pill more of a con for you. That's totally fine. You have to listen to your body and do what's right for you.

Hey,

Yeah the lack of sex drive is listed as side affect, that along with the vaginal dryness I had noticed pretty much a month or two after starting the pill, so I’ve always assumed it was the cause

I did speak to my doctor during my last pill check up but she wasn’t very helpful, her opinion was that most of the side effects people have go away after about 6 months, so I’m definitely not in that bracket, she then advised about the coil etc which doesn’t appeal to me.

I think having a break is going to be my best option, it’s just how long it’s going to take for the hormones etc to level out and finding the best time for me to come off it without potentially ruining my first exam time etc.

I also think part of me wants to have a period again just to make sure I can, that sounds so silly out loud...

7 years without a period at a young age has kind of made me feel (for lack of better word) un-feminine - this hasn’t bothered me until randomly a few weeks ago!

Thanks for your advice :)

Heidi920 wrote:

Hi, I recently stopped taking my BCP as my husband had a vasectomy also. Prior to this I had been on the pill 17 years and only came off it for two years when we had our children.

I was similar to you with having a low sex drive and just didn't want to be putting hormones in my body anymore. Everybody react differently to hormone pills but I found this article/pod cast really helpful: http://fertilityfriday.com/top-10-unexpected-effects-of-coming-off-the-pill/

Hi,

Thank you for the link, I will definitely check it out !

I’ve been reading up on it recently and it’s amazing how many women suffer with side effects of the pill but just accept it, it’s a shame really and no one seems to be talking about it much !

Sorry to jump on your thread.
I've decided not to have my next depo contraceptive injection due to wanting to try for a bundle of joy late next year. I've been on the injection since the birth of my son 9 years ago. Does anybody have an experience coming off it? The internet seems full of scare stories.

I took 2 versions of birth control pills for 9 years and then actually used the patch (since I often forgot to take pills) after I had my child I decided to try the IUD (mirena) at hte recommendation of my doctor.

WOW, what a difference! I never realized how much the pill had affect my sex drive and ability to naturally lubricate in a bad way.

I am not sure if I experienced mood swings as I went off to try to get pregnant and it was a long time ago. I woudl talk to your doctor about anything to help you wean off the hormones and/or offset side affects during this time.

Couple looking to spice things up wrote:

Sorry to jump on your thread.
I've decided not to have my next depo contraceptive injection due to wanting to try for a bundle of joy late next year. I've been on the injection since the birth of my son 9 years ago. Does anybody have an experience coming off it? The internet seems full of scare stories.

That’s alright :)

I can completely emphasise with all the horror stories found online, that’s why I came here lol - best of luck

Vanessa8 wrote:

I took 2 versions of birth control pills for 9 years and then actually used the patch (since I often forgot to take pills) after I had my child I decided to try the IUD (mirena) at hte recommendation of my doctor.

WOW, what a difference! I never realized how much the pill had affect my sex drive and ability to naturally lubricate in a bad way.

I am not sure if I experienced mood swings as I went off to try to get pregnant and it was a long time ago. I woudl talk to your doctor about anything to help you wean off the hormones and/or offset side affects during this time.

Hi,

Yeah it’s amazingly such a common side affect that it reduces the sex drive in women/ability to naturally lubricate. I’m sure if most men were taking a pill that reduced their sex drives they would have found an alternative ASAP lol!

Yeah maybe the doctors will be able to help with coming off, I just don’t tend to have many good experiences with my doctors.

Hi,

I almost could have written your OP!

I was on the combined pill, and then had to move to Cerazette alsdo due to migraine associated risks... I'd be on it for about 8 years and was experiencing similiair side effecrs that you describe, significantly reduced sex drive, discomfort, weird lower pelvic pain, thrush etc. I had no idea it was coming from the pill, until eventually after various tests and procedures, my GP suggested coming off of it.

I understand your worries, I too read the many horror stories online! I'd like to reassure you its been the best decision! In terms of side effects, in the first 10 -14 days I had some mild cramping that was about it. My periods returned to a pretty typical cycle of 28-31 days within about 6 weeks.

The best change, was that my anxiety I'd come to live with dramatically reduced and I started to generally feel much less anxious within a few weeks. All of the other side effects I'd been having but not made the connection to the pill also went. My GP says that POP in particular can cause anxiety type symptoms.

I feel like I have been on every contraceptive under the sun. Coming off of the pill wasn't too bad. There were mood swings, irregular bleeding, bad cramps but I was back to "normal" rather quickly. Are you considering other forms of birth control?

CLTSTU I was quite young when I came off the Depo injection. I had terrible periods and that was easier for me rather than the pill. I came off of it when I had a check and was showing signs of the osteoporosis side effect. From what I remember I had nothing negative other than a bit of cramping and bleeding. I was told to use condoms immediately as fertility can be very quick at coming back. Personally I would use condoms until your first natural period when trying for a baby. That way you can monitor your dates better and it makes it so much easier for booking check ups and scans.

Advice for all, never Google it. It's like with news, only the worst things are reported with the odd good thing. All the average run of the mill stuff isn't worth reporting about.

Thanks for the replies.
:0)

Just thought I would add a little update in case anyone is interested - I’ve decided that I’m going to come off the pill !

I have a week away next week with my OH and a friend so when I come back I’m going to come off and see how I get on !

Really nervous as I haven’t had a period in so long I’m worried about the cramps interfering with my day to day life (potentially any exams yikes) but I’ve decided I’ve had enough of feeling like this and I need to know if that’s causing it.

Fingers crossed for an improvement 😊

KirstyLee wrote:

Just thought I would add a little update in case anyone is interested - I’ve decided that I’m going to come off the pill !

I have a week away next week with my OH and a friend so when I come back I’m going to come off and see how I get on !

Really nervous as I haven’t had a period in so long I’m worried about the cramps interfering with my day to day life (potentially any exams yikes) but I’ve decided I’ve had enough of feeling like this and I need to know if that’s causing it.

You've got this! I am on day 3 of not taking the pill after being on the pill for 10+ years. I recently picked up a book from Amazon called the Period Repair Manual, I recommend getting yourself a copy. It's full of information about coming off the pill, what to expect and how to counteract some symptoms you might experience during pill withdrawal - your body (mine right now!) will be craving hormones it's no longer going to receive. I've literally braced myself for a rollercoaster of emotions this month!

NatandTom wrote:

This. All of this.

I was on the pill for 10 years, shouldn't have been.

It was an emotional rollercoaster coming off but I feel so much better for it now. The OH is happier too.

Lovehoney - Rebecca wrote:

KirstyLee wrote:

You've got this! I am on day 3 of not taking the pill after being on the pill for 10+ years. I recently picked up a book from Amazon called the Period Repair Manual, I recommend getting yourself a copy. It's full of information about coming off the pill, what to expect and how to counteract some symptoms you might experience during pill withdrawal - your body (mine right now!) will be craving hormones it's no longer going to receive. I've literally braced myself for a rollercoaster of emotions this month!

Thank you!

i am going to order that book now as I’ve seen it recommended a few times online when I’ve been pouring over webpage after webpage for advice.

I know what you mean about bracing yourself for the emotions, it’s worrying me as I have my first exam in December but there is never going to be an “ideal” time to come off that isn’t going to interfere with things

I hope everything goes well for you and congrats on coming off, it’s a huge step to take!

KinkCouple wrote:

NatandTom wrote:

This. All of this.

I was on the pill for 10 years, shouldn't have been.

It was an emotional rollercoaster coming off but I feel so much better for it now. The OH is happier too.

Aw I’m so glad to hear that you feel better for coming off ! :)

Hi ladies!

I’ve had similar experiences. I was on microgynon for 4 years. I was constantly feeling dizzy and sick I put on loads of weight I was always angry too! I changed after those 4 years to celest but after a year I decided to try the implanon.

The first year was absolutely bliss not any periods at all. But this past year has been dreadful. I’ve been super over emotional, depressed it’s been hell and that’s not even mentioning the periods themselves. 3-4 weeks they last. They can happen anytime. No warning!

I’m on the quest to the doctors to see what other options they are!