Contraception?! What to use?

This thread reminds me of that "wonderful" conversation I went through during my pre-surgery appointment:

Doc: What type of birth control do you use?

Me (going red and making a feeble attempt at gallows humour): Well, my weight and the way I look have always been 100% effective...

Doc (silence): Ah well....

![](upload://ceipqBTR0sMGMajGRWRbxCi6nYV.gif)

BarginHunta wrote:

Hi Ian, when did you have the snip?
If you don't mind me asking how did it go, and have you had any side effects?
I considered it previously, finally mentioned it to my doctor but the appointment letter never came through from the clinic - now I've got to start the process again!

Hi, just over 3 years ago.

Because of my weight I couldn't get it done by the local GP that does them so I got sent to the Marie Stopes clinic in Leeds. They use "no knife" technique using cautery.

It was fine on the day - best bit was the gorgeous eastern European doctor checking my testicles for abnormalities for starting - I've saved that one for the role play bank.

It was sore for a couple of days but not bad - tight Y front budgie smugglers are your friend at this time!

3 years on no bother - doesn't affect anything from the ejaculation point of view.

I'm on week two of the mirena coil. Only thing that has worked previously is the combined pill, but not been able to have that for years. The mini pill, injection and implant, I had to have 2 of and they still made me bleed really heavily, so had nothing for a couple of years, but periods are so heavy and they wouldn't give me a hystorectomy, I gave in and had the coil. My worry was the bleeding, but although I've bled every day, it's now really light, which beats heavy periods every 2 weeks.

Not sure if I'll ever stop bleeding, it will be some months before I'll know, there's a high risk I'll bleed every day for the whole 5 years, as I now have fibroids.

ian1970 wrote:

BarginHunta wrote:

Hi Ian, when did you have the snip?
If you don't mind me asking how did it go, and have you had any side effects?
I considered it previously, finally mentioned it to my doctor but the appointment letter never came through from the clinic - now I've got to start the process again!

Hi, just over 3 years ago.

Because of my weight I couldn't get it done by the local GP that does them so I got sent to the Marie Stopes clinic in Leeds. They use "no knife" technique using cautery.

It was fine on the day - best bit was the gorgeous eastern European doctor checking my testicles for abnormalities for starting - I've saved that one for the role play bank.

It was sore for a couple of days but not bad - tight Y front budgie smugglers are your friend at this time!

3 years on no bother - doesn't affect anything from the ejaculation point of view.

Cheers for the feedback - stupidly I looked into it "online" before, and you see so many horror stories it is good to hear a success story :)

I had no idea that weight might affect your eligibility, but I have heard that there are several 'methods' - the knifeless option sounds great. Appologies for highjacking the thread, I'll do a quick search and maybe start my own post :)

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I'm on week two of the mirena coil. Only thing that has worked previously is the combined pill, but not been able to have that for years. The mini pill, injection and implant, I had to have 2 of and they still made me bleed really heavily, so had nothing for a couple of years, but periods are so heavy and they wouldn't give me a hystorectomy, I gave in and had the coil. My worry was the bleeding, but although I've bled every day, it's now really light, which beats heavy periods every 2 weeks.

Not sure if I'll ever stop bleeding, it will be some months before I'll know, there's a high risk I'll bleed every day for the whole 5 years, as I now have fibroids.

That's a bit crappy, I think I bled for a few days when I had my first one put in (and I'm childless and they said I'd bleed for a week at least because of it), and barely a day when I had my new one fitted, although I had a real bitch of a period pain, went all down my thighs, my back and hips hurt like hel!

No periods at all on implanon sounds amazing! I bleed pretty much constantly on it and sometimes real heavy. I have no idea what's going on with my cycles i'm so irregular. I can go months without a period and then months seeming to never stop. I don't ususally know I'm having a period until I'm doubled over from cramping..

I'm getting my implanon removed today! I'm so excited!

Going to be going back to condoms for a while. Partner really doesn't mind this, I'm the one not looking forward to it.

It will be nice to see if my periods ever settle down and become normal, this will be the first time in years I am 100% medication freeeee.

I also have themerina with not much bleeding but still get pains monthly but nothing servere only problem I had was the strings were too long but just had them trimmed

Best contraception I've had .

I have the depo provera (sp?) contraceptive jab every three months at my local doctors clinic. It's in and out, over within five minutes. (Now, now, you dirty minded minxes!) The nurse checks my blood pressure, weighs me and then stabs me in the opposite buttock to last time.

I've fluctuated in weight a few times (but only by 5 pounds maximum, and it has gone up and down, I lost weight in summer) and I get light periods at the beginning of the month. Some months I can go without a period but I don't miss them! I still get bad cramps but nowhere near as bad I did before, and I don't bleed like I've been gutted anymore. I'm quite happy to stay on the jab for now :)