copper coil

have searched the forums for any thing on the copper coil but cant find what im looking for. cutting a long story short i have contraception issues to say the least, my doc is saying tis is the only thing that will stop all the problems im having with the pill as it contains no hormones, has any body had/got one? or know any one who has/does? id just like to know the pro's and con's before i make a decision as im not loving the idea atm but am at the end of my tether! any advise atall would be greatly appreciated! thanks xxxxx

I'm afraid not - I have the IUS though which is a very similar device but uses hormones as well.

I would recommend taking a couple of painkillers before you go to have it fitted.

I found fitting quite uncomfortable & I had a pain something like period pain afterward but don't let that put you off - for me one day of pain is nothing compared with the peace of mind you gain.

If it's the same as the IUS, once it's in, you should check every now and then that it's still there (you feel for the strings - they'll show you how to do it if you're not sure).

You should have a full STI test & check for any bacterial infections before having it fitted - I imagine the doc will already have told you this.

Good luck - I hope this proves to be the answer to your contraceptive problems.

x

cheers hun, i was reading up online last night it sounds awful! the majority of people have basically said its a fantastic contraceptive as it stops you having sex altogether lol i know you shouldnt really search for things because you always get the horror stories but i have to read them! one woman had copper toxity which if you google is apparently not dissimilar to arsenic poisening! really selling it ay!

if im honest the IUS sounds fine! but i cant have it :'(

x

Eeek! Are copper coils the only non-hormonal ones? It seems strange for them to use a material that might cause problems when there are so many alternatives.

I've not had any problems (after the first day) with pain or libido issues so not sure why they'd say that it stops you having sex altogether.

Maybe book an appointment with your GP to have a chat about it - they're going to know best & it's something you need to be sure about. If copper toxicity is an alergy, could they test you for it? If it's a problem with the actual device then maybe they can give you an idea of how frequently it occurs - I'm sure if it was a big problem they'd have changed the material by now.

I know mine is a different thing but I've always thought of it as the same basic design with added hormones.

Would be wary of internet searches because usually it's unhappy people that publish their experiences unprompted - you don't often think "everythings ok really, I think I'll shout about it on the internet".

On the other hand it's alerted you to a couple of potential problems that you can have a chat with the experts at your surgery about.

Again, best of luck (and sorry for the essay!)

x

I assume you've read but just in case you haven't.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/contraceptivecoil.htm

Good luck!

yep have read it, and have spoken to dr about it a few times, its something he's been trying to get me to have for a couple of years, he understands where im coming from but its choosing the lesser evil i guess but something needs to be done quick cause im really about to lose my rag with the situation big style. the choice atm is- stay on the pill and bleed for 3weeks of the month, be demon woman most of the time, have the coil and have longer more painful periods when they are usually hell any way OR come off the pill and have another baby..........................wich i would love...........thats what makes this so bloody frustrating! i want another lil one!!! grrr rant rant rant xx

Hi - me again

I had a similar experience on a progesterone only pill - the problem wasn't the pill per se, it was that they design the dosage for an "average woman". I've no idea of yoour physique but my problem was that because I'm 5'8" and overweight for my height I simply weighed too much for it to work properly.

I don't mean to suggest you have a problem weight-wise - for all I know I could be nattering with Kate Moss (plus I understand there are similar problems for slim petite women because they weigh too little) - but the doctor suggested I gave it another 3 months & then try upping my dose.

By that time I'd well and trully lost the will to give it another chance because I was having to take iron supplements & was generally fed up so I came off the pill altogether but if it rings any bells with you it might be another thing to discuss with your GP

im about 5'9 a size 6-8 and weigh 8 1/2 stone, according to my doc just a tiny bit under weight for my height :/ i beg to differ but hey. have been on every type of pill available now bar one which im due to start a the end of the packet im taking atm, it is me thats the prob i just cant seem to get on with any thing with hormones in! theres a thread called "one for the girls" in which iv also discussed this and listed all the issues iv ahd if u wanna nosey, like i said, any advice is welcome!! xxxx

I had the copper coil a couple of years ago. I shouldn't really have hormones so I tried the coil. It was ok for 6 months but then I started to bleed non stop, turned out it was my body rejecting the coil.

The actual procedure wasn't bad, it left me with a slight ache but nothing major, in fact I went and worked a night shift straight after having it fitted. Paracetamol took the edge off.

The copper coil is great if you don't reject it as it lasts 10 years and you're not pumping your body full of extra hormones.

Disadvantage was I have irregular periods, so they became unpredictable again ( I had previously been on the pill).

It's up to you but I would say go for it. I'd still have mine if my body hadn't rejected it! x

sexynurse09 wrote:

I had the copper coil a couple of years ago. I shouldn't really have hormones so I tried the coil. It was ok for 6 months but then I started to bleed non stop, turned out it was my body rejecting the coil.

The actual procedure wasn't bad, it left me with a slight ache but nothing major, in fact I went and worked a night shift straight after having it fitted. Paracetamol took the edge off.

The copper coil is great if you don't reject it as it lasts 10 years and you're not pumping your body full of extra hormones.

Disadvantage was I have irregular periods, so they became unpredictable again ( I had previously been on the pill).

It's up to you but I would say go for it. I'd still have mine if my body hadn't rejected it! x

nice to hear something good on it thanks!! xx

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

I'm afraid not - I have the IUS though which is a very similar device but uses hormones as well.

I would recommend taking a couple of painkillers before you go to have it fitted.

I found fitting quite uncomfortable & I had a pain something like period pain afterward but don't let that put you off - for me one day of pain is nothing compared with the peace of mind you gain.

If it's the same as the IUS, once it's in, you should check every now and then that it's still there (you feel for the strings - they'll show you how to do it if you're not sure).

You should have a full STI test & check for any bacterial infections before having it fitted - I imagine the doc will already have told you this.

Good luck - I hope this proves to be the answer to your contraceptive problems.

x

In the UK...

The IUD is a copper based device, and can also be used as a method of emergency contraception.

The IUS is a hormonal based device (sometimes called the Mirena coil, I understand), but it can NOT be used as emergency contraception.

Iv had the copper coil......and other coils as well...they have frankly been a life saver....i cant have the pill or anything with hormones etc in as i have a severe alergic reaction........ie hallucinations, yawning spasms...basically its horrible......so was told early to avoid the pill at all cost.....so really and truely the coil was my only viable option and i have to say im glad i made the decision......iv used coils for years...........it does make your periods that bit more heavier...but its stopped my awful stomach cramps which i used to suffer with.....rarely get them now and its also made me more regular as my periods used to be all over the shop. Iv had the odd infection...which they say you are more susceptable to.......but iv had no more than any othe person......however all people are different.

The new one i have in now is in for 10 years....so i just get it checked at the clinic every year...and thats it....nothing to think about........nothing to fiddle with........confidence and protection.

It isnt for everyone...some peoples bodies can reject them......but i havent had any serious problems.

The insertion can be a bit uncomfortable...........you experience a dull period like pain........but it shouldnt last too long. I would give them a big thumbs up...and would say to you to definatly think about giving it a go.........!!

If you need any more advice just give me a shout!!!

I have the coil and I love it! I hate the idea of synthetic hormones, and would rather not put them in my body. I had the coil put in when I was 18 and the nurse was a tiny bit dubious, as I was so young and tried to persuade me to think about the pill, but I was adamant.

It has made my periods a tiny bit heavier, but I can deal with that. The insertion wasn't too bad, just a bit of cramping when she put the sound in.

Other than that, I can't recommend it enough.

I've had the copper coil for the last 3 years and have had no problems at all with it.

I found that hormone based contraceptives totally sapped my mojo.

Fitting was much quicker than i had imagined, when the doc said she'd finished i couldn't believe it was that quick and easy!

My periods have been very regular, and no heavier than normal, but instead of a 28 day cycle i now have a 23 day cycle. This may have nothing to do with the coil tho.

You are supposed to check that its still there by feeling for the threads every so often, but mine have disappeared. I had to go to the hospital for an ultra-sound to check that its still in place. It is, but i'm not sure how easy its going to be to get it back out after my 5 years are up!