Empowering Costumes

Hi guys!

I’m doing a bit of work on expanding our costumes range here at Lovehoney and would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

WHAT COSTUMES/CHARACTERS WOULD MAKE YOU (or your partner) FEEL EMPOWERED?

This can include characters but doesn’t just have to specific characters! It could also include any ‘genre’ of costume e.g. secretary.

I had started a similar thread in the past but I’m now looking into what would make you or your partner feel most EMPOWERED!

Any thoughts and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

13 Likes

Gosh @Lovehoney_Zora

I have over 50 different high end fancy dress costumes and they all make me feel differently…always confident. But empowered…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I’ll have a think

5 Likes

I think for me personally, im a big girl and very jiggly. I find that most costumes tend to lack in material. I know this is the point :rofl: the skirt that literally only covers the bum cheeks or the crop top that leaves the whole midriff exposed etc would just make me feel self concious although im trying to overcome this. I think my ideal costume would be something like a pirate/ medieval wench style outfit with a corseted top and skirt etc. Sexy but covers up the bits i dont like. I think this would make me feel empowered as well as confident and desirable.

16 Likes

Hi @Lovehoney_Zora

For both me and my OH the feeling of empowerment comes from the confidence of looking and feeling good in what you wearing.

So in many ways we feel this could be achieved with almost any good fitting high quality roll play costume.

Specific Empowering costume ides that spring to mind are:

Police officers
Army/Military
Gladiator
Wonder Woman
Dominatrix
Dr or Nurse
Any classic pin up style.

4 Likes

Hey @CurvyJilly !

Empowered and confident may come hand in hand! Empowerment means something different to everyone but if you feel confident and sexy in your high end fancy dress, I would love to know what styles or characters you go for!

1 Like

Hey @Kh1985 !

Thanks for your response. I love this idea of costumes that have a bit more material to them, especially if that’s what makes you feel more desirable! As someone with a bigger size would you like something with more support?

2 Likes

Hey @Wood_Wow !

Love this definition of empowerment! I agree that a good fit can make all the difference in looking and feeling good so I’ll definitely take this onboard. It seems from your ideas that empowering costumes seem to feed hand in hand with the idea of power in some form! Would you agree?

Speaking as a male, i think some kind of superhero costume would be good for males, i realise that due to licensing costs they would have to be generic!
The traditional cop, fireman, builder, military etc can be quite easy to home source. But superhero not so much.
Similarly female superhero costumes would be nice, with support in the relevant places.
I realise that empowerment and confidence go hand in hand, and a lot of us aren’t confident with our bodies, so anything in the design of a costume that flatters the body will boost confidence and empowerment. Hope that makes sense!

3 Likes

Hey @WillC !

Thank you for your response. Superheroes are a great idea, even if they would have to be generic! When you think about ‘flattering the body’, what does that mean to you? Would you like to see more mens costumes with a bit more coverage? Or just a more flattering fit?

I agree with @Kh1985, I’m not really very comfortable with costumes that are very skimpy although I know that’s the whole point! I feel most confident in my lingerie because I can cover up with a robe until i’m ready to reveal all.

I’d feel confident and sexy in something gothic styled. I’m not really sure what would come under that category though. Something with a short skirt, stockings and a corset would probably work I’m thinking gothic vampire or or a dominatrix outfit.

I also think that there would be a market for high end, luxury costumes although the current financial climate might not be the best time to launch expensive items!

5 Likes

Hey @Kitty-Cat01 !

Love this idea of a costume with different components and layers, maybe a cape that you could use to tease your partner before revealing all!

3 Likes

Well as we men tend to carry extra weight around the belly, maybe a wide belt with logo to hide it? Nice stretchty material to fit most body types, and dark colours like black or blue (Batman cough, Superman cough!) are quite flattering too.
As for revealing? I think less is more, so maybe bare arms, chest etc, but not too much, oh and maybe easy access to certain anatomical parts so that the costume could stay on?
Hope this helps?
It might help to look at various superhero designs online on comicbook sites and see what would be appealing and easy to make a generic version? You already have the Lovehoney logo as a starting point!

2 Likes

@WillC love these ideas, super helpful, thank you! Costumes that can stay on are a fantastic idea - will do some digging into some designs that could work with this, for sure!

1 Like

Yes definately more support. I like @Kitty-Cat01 gothic idea. That sounds fab and is very on trend with so many into alternative fashion and kink nowadays.
I love the thought of maybe a corseted top in black thats corseted around the midriff and long lined rather than stopping at the top of us larger ladies rolls :rofl: with like a gypsy type material over the breasts and shoulders. That way you can partner up with your fave lingerie if you wish. Or fully corsetted up over the breasts so you can really be pushed up, and then a black gothic/vampire style skirt with lots of lace frills etc that really flows nicely down to about mid thigh length. That could be partnered with a big petticoat to puff it out (sold with it or to be supplied by the customer)
The corset could be embroidered with another colour (maybe vintage gold) that could also be somewhere in the skirt.
It could also come with a really nice colour coordinated masquerade style eye mask.
Sorry… the brain juices just started flowing there and i couldnt stop lol!!!

4 Likes

You could do high quality themed sets aswell that could be partnered with stuff people have at home to cut on costs…
Zorro: hat, mask, whip and cape
Gladiator: leather arm cuffs and body straps with the little skirt thingy… not so much accesories but the helmet and sword would need to be sourced by the customer.

Its harder for what would be classed as a male costume without adding clothes but a gothic or steampunk idea might be nice.

Also (im going to try to be politically correct here as i dont want to offend anyone) but theres lots of penis owners on here that love to dress in more feminine clothes. Is it time to do a range for these people that are fitted for their body types to really let them feel empowered and fully in control of what theyre wearing. Not exactly a costume but a nice lingerie or babydoll set that hasnt got cups inbuilt as not all men want that, partnered with a nice pair of knickers that are designed to fit the male anatomy?

6 Likes

No problem, glad to help! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Honestly, I’d really like some more ‘strappy’ harness options, and items that are more adjustable. As someone who is between the regular and plus sizes due to my ridiculous bust-waist-hip ratio, I’m always finding that some pieces within sets fit, while others don’t, so I really don’t buy as much lingerie as I’d like. Full bodysuits/catsuits never fit right either, which is super disheartening.

So having strappy full-body harnesses that are completely adjustable would be my preference, because I know I’ll struggle with the sizing for everything else.

3 Likes

@Kh1985 I am LOVING all these ideas! Thank you so much! The idea of doing some themed sets to cut costs for the customer is also a fantastic idea.

The idea of more gender fluid lingerie is also amazing and is definitely something we are working on here at Lovehoney! We are all about being inclusive so working towards these gender fluid products is definitely on our radar

3 Likes

Hey @RacyRosalee !

I myself also sit between sizes so I understand how you feel, and fully adjustable costumes and harnesses are a great idea!

3 Likes

Helloooooooo hmmm not sure for us