First Saturday of the Month

Thanks Ian Chimp for your experiments! I'm following with interest. I know it's veering off course from the original thread a little but I'm also trying to get a definitive answer to whether coconut oil is ok to use with silicone toys ...the advice seems to be a bit conflicting.

wildflower wrote:

Thanks Ian Chimp for your experiments! I'm following with interest. I know it's veering off course from the original thread a little but I'm also trying to get a definitive answer to whether coconut oil is ok to use with silicone toys ...the advice seems to be a bit conflicting.

You're not veering off at all. I think this thread is the best place for all things sex toy maintenance. 👍🙂

We don't use it, but I am reasonably confident that coconut oil is fine to use with silicone sex toys. I think the only danger would be if the silicone wasn't pure silicone, then the oil could react with the other materials that have been mixed in with it. But most of the good toy brands seem to only use premium grade silicone in their toys, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll see if I can pick some up next time I'm out and about and I'll have a go with it. 👍🙂 Do you use a special one?

Ah thanks for that, you're going to be kept busy doing all this research ! ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

I tend to use raw virgin coconut oil as it has an actual coconut smell as opposed the refined types. I use it mainly for skin care but was reading up on the possibilty of using it as a lube , mainly because the price of water based lubricant is, in my opinion very high.I can buy a big jar of coconut oil for a fraction of the price that I'd pay for the same size of manufactured lube.

Most of my toys are good quality silicone but I also have a few favourite dildos that are PVC or TPE, it doesn't look like coconut oil is suitable for use on those either .

wildflower wrote:

VR wrote:

I love the Desire and Bliss balms that contain natural oils but aren't compatible with condoms. Does this mean they'll also damage silicone?

I have both of the above and have used them in conjunction with silicone toys with no damaging effects. And that's even with leaving the toys to be washed for hours....there's no way on earth I'm getting out of bed to wash toys at night! They get put on the bedside cabinet till morning!

I lay my toys out on a towel on my bedside table if I know I'm going to make a night of it. It looks like a surgical tray ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)

I can relax later knowing everything's back on the towel and can wait for clean up in the morning. I used to use wipes straight after but gave up in favour of just washing everything properly.

There's nothing worse than losing that lovely relaxed feeling after sex by having to get up and clean toys. It's bad enough having to get up to use the loo in order to ensure a bladder infection doesn't develop!

I bought some coconut oil this morning. 👍 It's 'organic virgin cold pressed', so not raw (a bit of an oversight on my part), but I'm hoping it's still in the same ball park. 🤞🙂 I'm going to rub it on the handle hand of the Mantric toy separately so I don't mix everything up and ruin the experiment.

I did do a bit of re-reading about it and several bloggers have done similar tests with coconut oil on their own toys. Here's one with pictures:

http://dangerouslilly.com/2018/03/coconut-oil-and-silicone-sex-toys/

Interestingly there's a bit in there that says using oil lube on Fun Factory toys voids the warranty (because it degrades the plastic handles rather than the silicone). However, this blog is from 2018, and I can't find the relevant warranty warning currently on the Fun Factory website. It does show up in the Google search, but when you click the link it takes you to a 404 dead page. So I don't know if that is up to date info or not.

Yes I think you're right it is pretty much the same ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif) Thanks for the above recommendation of reading material, I'm off to check that out now !

I did the first coconut oil application last night on the base of the toy. 30 minutes then fairy liquid wash off. No change as yet. 👍

As a small update, I've decided to do the same process on the Desire pebble too (both silicone lube and coconut oil). It's obviously a few days late to the party, but I'll just extend the 30 minute exposure phase on the Mantric so their schedules can marry up. 🙂👍

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33304

Ian Chimp wrote:

As it's the top of a new page I'll pop a little reminder of what this thread's about for anyone new. 🙂👍

The first Saturday of every month is 'Vibrator/Sex Toy Maintenance Day' where we drag all of our toys out and give them a once over. Any with rechargeable batteries need a regular charge every now and again to make sure they don't over-deplete and become useless bricks, and any with motors benefit from a little workout to ensure they don't seize up. It's also a great excuse to add a few neglected treasures into regular rotation (or even re-try some toys that didn't hit the spot first time round).

We've got quite a large collection so we have a few that are stashed in the bedside table for regular use and the rest are stored in big boxes under the bed. I charge the bedside ones pretty much after every use, but the ones under the bed can get a little neglected. For those toys I like to turn each on and run them for a few minutes on a few different settings to give their motors a workout. If any rechargeables are dead (or flash 'low battery', if they have that function) I give them a charge. If I'm adding them to the regular rotation I give them a full charge, if they're going back into storage I give them a partial charge (most toys are now Li-ion batteries, and they prefer a partial charge if they're not going to be used for a while). We tend to charge them for about 30 minutes, though if you want to be more specific look in the instructions for the charge time and halve that. Any that aren't dead I pop back in the storage box ready for the next month's check. 👍

Hopefully this will keep your toys running for longer. And if anyone has any more tips then please feel free to share. 🙂👍

It's been over a page since I last said it, so I'll quote it again just to give anyone new a summary of what this thread is about. 🙂👍

Ian Chimp wrote:

As a small update, I've decided to do the same process on the Desire pebble too (both silicone lube and coconut oil). It's obviously a few days late to the party, but I'll just extend the 30 minute exposure phase on the Mantric so their schedules can marry up. 🙂👍

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33304

As I also own a Mantric toy the results will be eagerly awaited! Been checking out the dangerouslily blog...it's a very good read, informative and with pics ...never a bad thing!![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

wildflower wrote:

As I also own a Mantric toy the results will be eagerly awaited! Been checking out the dangerouslily blog...it's a very good read, informative and with pics ...never a bad thing!

I quite like her blog. I don't always agree with her, but I like how she explains the details of why she thinks something. 🙂 I don't think she's put anything new on there for a couple of years though, but she still crops up in a lot of search results when I'm googling things. 🙂

And from the preliminary tests so far I can't spot any adverse effects of either of the lubes on either of the toys. 👍 There's still a long way to go, but I think it's a good sign that a small spillage on a favourite toy may not be the instant death of it. 🙂

I'm careful with my toys and look after them like they're my pets!

I'm very relieved that a little accident may not be the end of them.

Thanks for sacrificing your toys in this noble quest Mr Chimp.

UPDATE: It was Day 5 for the Desire last night. So both toys have now had at least 5 days worth of applications of both the Indulge Silicone Lube and the coconut oil (30 minutes a night, fairy liquid clean-up).

Happy to report there's no visible change to either toy. 🙂👍

Tonight they're getting an hour, and I'll keep that up for 5 more days. 👍

Hey it's all looking promising there Mr Chimp! ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)And at least we know that if there is an accidental spillage it won't be a complete disaster....I was a bit a paranoid about getting even the slightest drop of anything other than water based lube on my precious toys!

1 Like

I also meant to mention that the Desire pebble has a shiny plastic disc underneath, so I've been popping some coconut oil on that too to see if it has any effect. None so far. 👍

I think if they both survive the 5 day/1 hour treatment, and the 24 hour one after, then I'm going to store them both together in the silicone Happy Rabbit storage pouch and see if that causes any problems. 🙂

1 Like

I've been a bit awol for a few weeks but this thread has caught my interest... I'll be following.

I was quite shocked to read, earlier on, that some toys only last a couple of years despite good maintenance. But then I have had mobile phones behave in the same way...

Might be a way of keeping old customers returning... to renew old favourites.

We generally use the Sliquid natural gel, so not too worried about lubes, but occasionally we use a silicone one and avoid toys, so I'm watching!

I keep some toys in collections in the same box - desire, mantric etc. All seem happy so far.

1 Like

MsR wrote:

I was quite shocked to read, earlier on, that some toys only last a couple of years despite good maintenance. But then I have had mobile phones behave in the same way...

Out of all of our toys it's only been these two so far. The one year warranty is pretty reasonable, but I know of a few people whose toys died just afterward.

MsR wrote:

I keep some toys in collections in the same box - desire, mantric etc. All seem happy so far.

Yeah, I remembered after I posted that I'd already tried this experiment. 🙂 I put a load of Mantrics in the Happy Rabbit pouch a while ago after Brenna told me it'd be fine. They were in there for weeks with no ill effects. 👍 I didn't mix brands though, but it seems that's not an issue as long as they're genuine silicone.

1 Like

I'm one of those people that no matter what the item, it'll die days after the warranty runs out.

1 Like

UPDATE: They've had their 5 days at 1 hour exposure and both look fine. And the hard plastic on the Desire hasn't reacted to the coconut oil in any noticeable way either. 👍

Next up, a 24 hour test.

1 Like

Thanks for the update IanChimp ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif) They're all really positive results so far, so fingers crossed for the big one...24 hours

1 Like