Forum Feedback

Hello everyone. Thi isn't me complaining about the forums, just some helpful feedback

Would it be possible to get an edit option, I'm terrible at reading my posts before posting and they end up with all kinds of terrible typos in them.

Could it be set up to replace things like :) with rather than having to click the button?

Think they're my main 2 niggles at the moment. Just a thought.

EdTheForumCritique

Edit button has been requested by many but LH said it was not possible at current (can't find link)

Thanks for the info

I've always wondered why a standard forum can't be used like most of the others I frequent. I'm sure there are some very good reasons though, probably linking reviews etc.

Thanks for the info Ruth but as an 'IT Guy' myself I'm still a little confused.

It would seem this forum was critten from scratch as I don't see many forums in Coldfusion nowadays so surely you could keep edits also?

and in reply to sxe_couple21 I assume they don't just use a forum 'off the shelf' as this website is written in a different language to what most forums are written in.

Ed out!

Some forums allow members to edit their posts within 15 minutes of posting to correct typos and the like.

But there aren't (m)any that I know of that allow editing beyond that. If it was allowed, it would make a mockery of discussions because somebody could go back and change what they said rendering the rest of the discussion pointless.

And unscrupulous people might use it in an evil way.

And hopefully not being able to edit makes people think a bit more before they post.

Yes, LoveHoney and the forums run on Coldfusion. I'm not sure there's anything as a standard forum - all the others I use (Football365, AVForums and the like) are all different.

It's not an off-the-shelf package because we want to customise it and (eventually!) want to lots of bells and whistles.

Coldfusion isn't exactly niche - a little site called Myspace uses it

So in short (sorry for rambling!) there isn't an edit function right now because we're working on other more important and exciting things!

And even when we add one, it'll only allow you to edit your post for a short period. Until then, we're prepared to live witha few typos!

Thanks alot for the reply Richard, think that summed everything up nicely

A spell chec function would be nice cos my spillen is krap!

Hi, new to the forums and thought i would give my feedback on the site.

Great content and ease of use but the main issue i have at the moment is that it seems that the new posts go to the end not the start, it would be handy to either have a sort by button or reverse the order so the newest post is the first we see when we go on to that forum.

Other wise great at the moment keep up the great site

sexywelshman wrote:

Hi, new to the forums and thought i would give my feedback on the site.

Great content and ease of use but the main issue i have at the moment is that it seems that the new posts go to the end not the start, it would be handy to either have a sort by button or reverse the order so the newest post is the first we see when we go on to that forum.

Other wise great at the moment keep up the great site External Media

This could be the greatest suggestion ever! Well maybe not world changing but a pretty niffty idea, so obvious it's Genius (and not that black stuff in a glass either!!!).

All hail the sexywelshman! I second this motion!!

Got to say I think it'd be really hard to read from back to front. Maybe because I'm new, I tend to be reading most of the threads from beginning to end anyway, but even on the ones I've read, it's easy enough to go the latest page and scroll down when there's a new post. Having the option with the 'sort by' function would be good though - then everyone's happy.

Jimbobaluba wrote:

Got to say I think it'd be really hard to read from back to front. Maybe because I'm new, I tend to be reading most of the threads from beginning to end anyway, but even on the ones I've read, it's easy enough to go the latest page and scroll down when there's a new post. Having the option with the 'sort by' function would be good though - then everyone's happy.

Yup, I think it would be hugely confusing. For example, if someone came into this thread now, they'd read this post first, have to scroll to the end to look at the original post to figure out what this one was about, and then read from the bottom up!

Would make sense for reading the latest posts on a long-running thread though.

Just for me i like to keep an eye on posts and if i can select newist post first i can just read the latest ones, i understand what you are saying about people not knowing what the thread is about.

Just my little idea, small things please !!

Could be worth piloting the last post first on say the hello-goodbye thread !!

TB

WOW its like deja vu this thread lol sooo many times its been requested maybe a sticky on the main forum just to clear any questions up for the newbies xxxx if there is one im sorry people its been a long day and iv only just got my ass around to getting on here again! xxxxxx LOVE you all xxxxLKS

Hi lil known, don't you go overworking now, remember all work and no rest makes for a boring bunny!! By the way where is bunny!!!

TB

Pft- Christmas and Valentines. They're not as important as us surely?

The back to front thing would confuse me, but I suppose it could be useful as an optional profile setting for those people who do want it.

TB im more than over working myself but when i finally put my feet up and have a glass of jack daniels on the rocks christmas day i think ill finally feel its been worth it lol

valentines is the most important day of the year its sooooo sexy hehe kinda more excited for valentines than crimbo xx

Wowweeeee lil known spoke to me, TB goes to work off pent up frustration in time honoured way!! Must chat some time lil known, you have a fabbie 25th December!!!

TB

Would it be possible to provide an option for the search function to return individual posts rather than entire threads? Depending on what you are looking for it can be frustrating to have to trawl through a selection of long threads to find the relevant bits. This could be a user account option or a switch on the search results page.

Presumably once you opened a post you would be in the relevant thread and would be able to post there.