How do you go about getting toys made?

luckyfun wrote:

you can IP your work, which protects it to a certain degree, for no expense. its how we defend ourselves. we sign and date our work, copy it and post a copy in a sealed envelope to yourself. If anyone copies youre work then you have dated proof that you designed it first. Handy.

Forget about patents, never mind the legal costs but even getting one drawn up will cost around £4000. Nightmare.

Yeah that what i ment by the poor mans patent.

China presents a big problem for protecting your IPR. I have had a number of my designs ripped off in the far east and it is a nightmare. The ripoffs appear on the market under several different names (but probably from the same factory) but the far east dealers are usually operating behind some kind of PO box address or even just an email. Even if you found the source you would have no chance getting the Chinese legal system to do anything about them.

All you can do is threaten the importers into the UK, US and Europe and hope they get cold feet because actually taking them to court is a hell of an expensive game. As they say, the law is open to everyone - just like the Ritz.

well i've been searching through the internet and i've messaged the makers of the Rock Chick products! it just so happens that i live near the company so i've asked if i could visit them and have a chat to see how it's all done!

i really hope they respond (and positively)! This could be a real life changer! =D

Fingers crossed for you DD :)

cheers puppies

lets just hope they don't ignore me or tell me where to go lol

LoveHoney - Bonny wrote:

Hi DesignDude, I would say one of the first things you need to do is get out there and see who your competition is. Look at what they are doing and see if there is a gap you can fill. There is no point coming out with a product that is the same as someone elses. I would recommend finding toys you like, looking at the materials they are made of, the colours, the function, the shape etc. Then thinking about how you can use the best material, shape etc for your toys. How you can you take it to the new level.... I would maybe contact a manufacturer who works in the area you are interested in. They may want to talk to you about your designs and possibly work together. Sportsheets - for bondage. Tantus - for silicone. Fleshlight - for masturbators for example. If you want to go it alone you need to find a factory that can manufacture your toys. You will be able to find them in the UK with a bit of research. Best of luck with it. Bonny

thanks for the advice Bonny!

i've been looking around and managed to find a company called MotionTouch that seem to manufacture a whole range of stuff! they also seem to have a pretty good system with intellectual property rights etc! External Media

i'm pretty sure i can't patent my idea as it made of existing technology and could be replicated by anyone in about 5 minutes lol! External Media so it looks like if i was to make this product i'd have to whack it out as quickly as possible and hope for some success before other companies replicated it for less money!

i've not heard back from Rocks Off yet either! i have a feeling they won't want to get involved as it will all be wasted time/effort for them to talk to me lol! Bit of a shame but that's business i guess! External Media