How does your garden grow

@WillC well done mar mate green fingers :potted_plant:

2 Likes

The first strawberries of the year from my garden this morning. It looks like it is going to be a bumper crop. Raspberries are looking good too and there are cherries beginning to take shape on my little tree.
Roll on summer

6 Likes

Just been pottering around mine tied the beans up and across to get them to spread = more crop planted my dahlias , luppins and staked out the croscosmias cut the salad leaves for tea :+1:

2 Likes

I cut my semi wild blackberry bushes right back in the autumn . It seems to have done the trick. They have come on strongly and are covered in flowers (and bees)

Hey @Lovehoney_Brenna , donā€™t forget to water that tree :slight_smile:

Enjoy your weekend

1 Like

Itā€™s been getting plenty of water! Seems to have been a successful planting if the new leaves are anything to go by :smiley:

7 Likes

Picking and shelling peas in the afternoon sun for my evening meal. Eating as many as make it to the bowl
:grin:

6 Likes

Mine are still not ready yet @Melody1 enjoy them :+1:

1 Like

I bought these as plugs from the garden centre so got off to a head start. My crop so far is what i could have bought frozen from Tesco for 60p Ā£1.20
But thatā€™s not the point. Is it?

1 Like

First blackberries of the year.
The bush was starting to take over so I trimmed right back in the autumn. Look like itā€™s paid dividends and i could have a bumper crop
:black_heart:

Good job @ChloJakes

Strawberry plants in the garden not doing to well this year. My bumper crop have all wizened up and died in the heat. After returning from some time away, without regular watering. That will teach me. :sunny::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

@Wood_Wow itā€™s not just yours that has suffered all of my home grown plants have suffered and my shrubs are all scorched :hot_face: I am trying to save what I can but my beans, cut and grow lettuce have all gone , but I did plant succession seeds so have some to pot on so we get something fried lettuce ainā€™t a good lunch lol :+1:

1 Like

With silver bellsā€¦ :rofl:

Just kidding, mine is all artificial.

1 Like

I have managed to save most of the flowers and shrubs but the beans , lettuce have all gone over so hopefully the succession plants will produce for me :pray:

1 Like

After two extra months of cooler than normal tempatures and way too much rain we jumped right into hotter than normal and no rain . My lettuce has been doing great the whole time , been eating a lot of salads ! Until harvest time I have no idea about the potatoes . Beans are just getting into producing beans , both pole and bush . Tomatoes finally recovered and flowered for the second wave , but the high heat makes them wilt late in the day . Radishes have all been harvested , I need to plant the second batch . Carrots doing well . Cucumber , summer squash have wilted and dead now . Too late to replant them .

2 Likes

Same here, everything is going crunchy at the edges no matter how kuch we water it.
Think the peas may go over frustratingly as theyr going very yellow, but everything else looks ok.

3 Likes

Took my hanging basket of petunias down last week during the extreme heat, and placed it in an old meat tray filled with water, it kept it healthy, also watered my containers twice a day, everything doing ok. Some of the virtually dead ones i got free from work are not doing so well, think they were a bit too far gone, but i wonā€™t give up on them just yet! The rest are doing amazingly well!

3 Likes

How do you tell when they are ripe, apart from the squirrels lol? Iā€™ve had a hazelnut appear in my garden with nuts for the first time this year

2 Likes

No easy way to tell that I know of, the shells are a bit soft to begin with but harden up long before the nut inside grows (ooh er) the green leafy part does come away from the shell easier as they ripen but I still end up breaking them weeks before they are ready to check! Depends how you like them also, you can wait till the shells darken and the green drys out but I prefer them early and fresh, like green walnuts

1 Like