How does your garden grow

How do you tell when they are ripe, apart from the squirrels lol? I’ve had a hazelnut appear in my garden with nuts for the first time this year

2 Likes

No easy way to tell that I know of, the shells are a bit soft to begin with but harden up long before the nut inside grows (ooh er) the green leafy part does come away from the shell easier as they ripen but I still end up breaking them weeks before they are ready to check! Depends how you like them also, you can wait till the shells darken and the green drys out but I prefer them early and fresh, like green walnuts

1 Like

Thanks @AmyA

1 Like

As my gardening duties are strictly lawn mowing only (flowers/weeds how am i supposed to know the difference!!!) and my mower is petrol powered which I’m currently unable to start my lawns are looking a bit wild n ragged at the moment which is bloody annoying me as i think a garden looks so much better with grass the same length.

2 Likes

@pootle i haven’t needed to bother as much this year with the lawns I think I have only mowed them 3 times so far it’s not growing due to the weather and sunshine :+1:

1 Like

@Gazza_64 yeah I’d be needing a herd of goats if growing conditions had been right.
I’ve probably done mine 5 times max!!!

1 Like

Welp, its pretty much official. The heat has just about killed my scented pelargonium :sob:
Cant seem to get it to recover no matter what i do

1 Like

@Green_Eyed_Girl all that love and tender care not worked hun it’s a shame I have had the same with my baskets and going away for a holiday come back to wilted plants everywhere :cry:

1 Like

It was looking fab, then it just gave up the ghost. Nothing i do seems to make it want to put new leaves on

Couple of friends have had the same thing. The heat has been killing alot of plants down here

1 Like

:herb: I kept the herbs alive for a couple months and got to eat a lot from them, but they’ve withered up and died in the past month… The leaves just started getting white speckles on them and I didn’t know what I was supposed to do… :woman_shrugging:t2:

Soe bird (not sure if its the magpies or finches) have atw half of the apples on my tree…as in half an apple but all the apples lol

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have had several weeks of crazy hot weather after months of record rain and no sun . All the effort I put into the garden and about half of it is doing OK . Been eating a lot of lettuce and giving some to neighbors , can hardly harvest fast enough . One neighbor’s rabbit enjoys some too . Hopefully in a week or two we should be eating cherry tomatoes . I also planted three varieties of heirloom tomatoes , time will tell how they do . Bush beans produced enough for a meal , but pole beans seem to have been hit pretty hard by the heat . I have multiple mounds of potatoes and am dying to dig one up to see how they are doing .

3 Likes