I need help

Im having trouble with work and deciding if im better off this year then i was last year.

Im on a 40 hr contract at £10.50 but dont get anything extra after 40 hours. Depending on the events i could do 60+ hours some weeks and less then 40 others

1 Like

For me, I’d track the hours and ensure it balances out to ensure you average 40hrs a week. I think it’s got to average out over 6weeks to make sure your not breaking the working time rules… I could be wrong

2 Likes

Money isn’t everything the big question is are you happy ? :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have you made this clear to your employer? Sometimes they like to put their head in the sand unless they’re confronted with it.
You’re working 20hrs extra a week and getting nothing for it. Thats not cool. I would speak to your employer and start looking for a new job if you need to.

1 Like

In a way know just what your saying. Auto mechanic that spent a lot of time working for outer people. Set out on my own. Wife does in home care and makes some time in one day then I make in a week. If you are good at your job some one will pay you what you are worth. If you are unhappy working for other people maybe set out on your own path

2 Likes

I dont think so. Ive worked in this place for 16 years so i dont really know any other places etc

2 Likes

They arent bothered. When i was “offered” the position they said if i didnt accept it then they would offer it to someone else and i would go back to my standard job

Hmm I agree with @Craig1234

2 Likes

I understand that but i cant just finish when i hit 40 hours. Its not that kind of contract

Contracts a contract.
You’re contract is 40 hours a week, so plan it so you only do 40 hours a week or arrange it so there is an overtime rate for hours breached or something in return for the extra hoyrs worked.
Or Hours back so if you are quiet etc you can nip off a couple of days early without loosing money etc

Make it work for you

I dont have much of a say in it, its really frustrating

If you are on a 40-hour contract you should be doing 40 hours every week. Anything additional is overtime (usually paid at the same hourly rate).

Speak to HR. Kick up a fuss. No-one should be scared to speak to their employer or to go to work.

They made the contract.
No overtime, no double time. I get usual holidays and lieu days(but i havent received any since november, despite being 20+ hours over)

Start looking for an other job… im sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you are unsatisfied with your current position, it is your own responsibility to do something about it.
Get your CV brushed up and lodge it with employment websites
Speak to friends about where they work and if any openings.
If you do not take the initiative, you will be having the same conversation this time next year and the year after.
Believe in yourself and your own worth.
We look forward to hearing how you get on.
With a positive attitude you can make positive changes .
Wishing you every success.

2 Likes

Time off in lieu of overtime pay is pretty standard practice in many industries as far as I know. It’s pretty normal with many contracts to be required to negotiate when you can take this however.
Am I understanding correctly that you’ve requested time off and been denied? If so for what reason?

Basically, if im over my annual hours by the end of the month i dont get anything for them

If you’re being paid £10.50/hr for 40 hrs but regularly working 60 hrs+ then they could be breaking the law by paying you less than the uk minimum wage.

This sounds so wrong on a number of levels. Is this in writing in your actual contract?

It is unfair to you: if hours over the 40 hours allocated occur at the end of the month, then are you not left with little time to take off time in lieu? What if one month is busy, or several in a row?
Your rights to plan your free time is severely restricted.

I’m no employment lawyer but I’m not sure how these terms could be allowed to stand.

1 Like

This seems a very shitty contract, did you sign to say you accepted those terms?
In my jobs, we got/get time and a half after 39 hours, either in pay or time in lieu, our choice. The time in lieu could be accrued and used for extra holiday. We also got/get shift allowance for afternoon shifts, and extra pay for unsociable hours.
You either need to get legal advice and challenge the contract, or get another job as you definitely seem to be being exploited.

1 Like

Are you in a union? Can you get legal advice from somewhere without paying for it - CAB? Your MP? Not sure which country you are in. Wishing you all the best xx