gggr kids/exams mini rant

argh, my lovely daughter just isn't putting in the effort with her exams. she has had a rough year with one thing or another but seems to have lost interest, can't see those grades being achieved and therefore uni will be out of the window this year at least

arghhhhhhhhh!

I'm in uni and I feel the same way. I have honestly lost all interest and just feel like dropping out. Everyone I know has tried so hard to pull me out of the slump but nothing is working.

I don't have any advice unfortunately but hopefully a summer break will do her wonders, fingers crossed for me too.

Uni is hard enough as it is without having troubles in other parts of your life (I know this as I'm nearly always ill).

Just show her you're always there to support her no matter what happens and that will at least be some comfort.

Bombing your A-levels is a bad idea....

Its a decade since mine, and I've never really recovered.

Fizz and Sparkle wrote:

argh, my lovely daughter just isn't putting in the effort with her exams. she has had a rough year with one thing or another but seems to have lost interest, can't see those grades being achieved and therefore uni will be out of the window this year at least

arghhhhhhhhh!

I feel for you, I am going through a similar thing with my son, so much so I will be driving him to college in the morning to make sure he gets to take his History exam.

This is already his second chance and there are not more left!

Make her see sense, maybe show her people living it ruff in africa or goto a homeless centre Iin london, where people are desperate to have a good education and get a good job. But don't have the opportunity, maybe then she will apreciate what she has

SBB, really sorry you are feeling so down about life at the moment x summer break will do you good too, give you chance to take stock. Do you have a counciller at Uni you could talk to or could you have a good natter with you rmum?

HH- i will also be doing the college run for the history exam, the things we do eh? I live in the hope that we are on the earth a long time, and if college/uni arent the way to go,they will find a path that makes them happy (keep telling myself, keep repeating !!)

Lippy - I can see how you are thinking but I also know when your head is in the wrong place, seeing other ppls misfortunes doesnt always bring you to sense? she is a good kid, who has had some bad crap happening this year, sure all we be well eventually

thanks for all your replies, i do love this forum!!!

lippylola wrote:

Make her see sense, maybe show her people living it ruff in africa or goto a homeless centre Iin london, where people are desperate to have a good education and get a good job. But don't have the opportunity, maybe then she will apreciate what she has

The hard fact is that in life it is difficult to learn from other people's mistakes, sometimes despite all the advice and encouragement you can give, you have to let them make their own mistakes and be prepared to be there for them to help pick up the pieces and hope they learn from the experience.

I didn't go to university and I did ok, but I also appreciate that times are different now

its so hard doing exam the pressure that is placed on the kids x

Fizz and Sparkle wrote:

arghhhhhhhhh!

I'm in the same boat as your daughter except I'm adding to my A-levels rather than taking them for the first time. I've had a really bad year and sometimes it's just a matter of so much crap has gone on the mind cannot concentrate on revising for extended periods of time. Maybe suggest to her to alternate small stints of revision with small stints of something else, it might help. I will do an hour or so of revision and then spend say fifteen mins on the web or play a round of a beat 'em up on the PS3.

I've taken three of the papers I need to sit and I still have five to go (all maths and physics papers so that's already a headache) and the stress levels keep escalating as the harder papers come last.

If things have been really bad, then sometimes if the school writes to the universities she's applied too they can lower the the grades they require her to acheive to get in or just take the situation into account,

Hope she passes and goes to Uni

I dropped out of sixth form after three months, ive made my way on in life but regret not having a degree. Also I left school in 1976....it was much easier finding a job then.

I hope she dosen't flump her exams but we all know the pressure on kids these days to do well is enormous. Good luck to her.

it's not the end I'd the world if she doesn't get the grades. but obviously it's better if she does. two tips would be to encourage realistic and productive sessions. I've never been able to revise anything for hours at a time and most people I know who do don't really hey much done. I instead do short stints interspersed with sorry fun like gaming or whatever. I can then do that all day happily.

second one is try to get involved, discuss what she's studying and find out the details. see if you can encourage her by breaking it down a bit. sometimes structuring revision doesn't come naturally and you can bee looking at one huge mess rather than a haf ldozen points.

ooh and underlining and highlighting is pointless! get her making notes, describing things in sorry essays our whatever. it's a but like how it's easier to learn some things by trying it rather than going over and over it with someone

thanks for all your replies, what ever the outcome, we will get through it

and thanks scarab, I have been helping her with her revision, (when she does it!) and she felt yesterdays exams went okay,, only few more to go

more stressful than when i flunked all mine!!!

Hi, well i went to uni in 1996 and i did an engineering degree with a lecel biology and an AS in chemistry and a fail in maths. (too busy with BF)

i got a 2:1 and i have never really used it. in hindsight i really wish i'd never gone. the only good thing that came of it i grew up.

so its not the be all and end all of someones career. it all depends on if you really need a degree for your career dreams ie.doctor lawyer etc.

i think there is too much emphasis on going to uni these days and its and easy option for the careers advisors. i know its really hard to find an alternative. but chin up. hope your teenager works through it.

saucey21 wrote:

i think there is too much emphasis on going to uni these days and its and easy option for the careers advisors. i know its really hard to find an alternative. but chin up. hope your teenager works through it.

Agreed uni isnt for everyone...I have travelled the world and at present have a great salary...still wish I had a degree though