Moving!

Of course it doesn’t make you a bad person, it shows you’re a good person cos you can’t bear see hi him suffering. Thinking of you bab :kissing_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

It’s a good example of how animals can show grief too, maybe he needs another cat around to cheer up…

1 Like

Possibly. I’d thought that when his sister passed but I knew he wouldn’t have tolerated another cat, regardless of the age. He had a tiny bit of food this morning (half a teaspoon) then went back up to the cupboard. Usually he’s shouting for food, even when he’s just finished he wants more. I asked if he wanted supper (the magic word: it usually gets him meowing like mad) but he didn’t even lift his head. He just seems to have deteriorated really fast

I hope he perks up soon @VeryCurious6, sadly we lost three cats in the last four years.

1 Like

Fks sake, laal git. What had happened was he’d had furballs which had irritated his stomach & pancreas then he was sick. Because he felt so crap he wouldn’t go to the toilet etc etc. He had a pee at the vet, came home, had a pee in one tray, went to another & had a scratch about. Then he had some food… Back in the cupboard but he seems brighter …xx

4 Likes

He’s cuddled up with me for the last hour or so, something he’s not done for a week. He’s not overly keen on being picked up or having his fur stroked, he’s drinking water like it’s going out of fashion yet hasn’t been to the toilet since we got back from the vets last night. I’m still not convinced I’m doing the right thing for him but we’ll have to wait and see.

Hmm what has the vets said?
Weirdly this can all be part of grief for animals and that’s usually when you need to give them extra attention and help them to move on from it

1 Like

Thanks. I just got a message from her (didn’t even hear the phone ring) and she said as long as he’s eating and drinking (albeit a lot more than he usually does - this is the cat who won’t drink any water unless you give him wet food or put water in his dry food (which he won’t eat now)) not to be too worried. She’ll ring me tomorrow & see how he is.
Yeah, a few folk have said about the grief but he’s only been like this for a couple weeks and his sister was put to sleep in February (7? months ago)

1 Like

We’re rooting for him @VeryCurious6 :slightly_smiling_face::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Yeah must keep encouraging him to eat little and often to keep strength up.

Hmmm that is kinda worrying if only now he’s being like this. What was wrong with his sister again?

1 Like

See that’s the thing: we don’t know. The vet said it was likely to be cancer but the only way to be sure was to do scans and xrays etc. She was nearly 16 and had epilepsy. No way was I putting her through that. The day she was put to sleep, a different vet said she was more sure than not that it was cancer.
He has stomach issues (like me): gastritis etc. Sometimes when he has lots of furballs or he’s stressed (also like me) say, because there’s a strong smell of (gloss) paint, that can set it off, so because his stomach is in spasm, his pancreas comes out in sympathy & he just plain doesn’t want to pee.

1 Like

I can’t believe how excited I am to tell you this:

HE PE*D LAST NIGHT. TWICE! AAAAAND ATE ALL HIS KIBBLE & WATER (only wet food we have isn’t good for his kidneys - recent blood tests showed slightly high kidney function). He cuddled up on my knee, slept in the cupboard & is now on my knee again. He’s still getting there but I said to OH last night that if he flares up again, I’m not going to put him through all of this again, just for it to flare up again. I just can’t. Fks sake, I was in tears talking to the window washer about him

4 Likes

Hmm yes I’ve heard cats can have things like an overactive gag reflex and stomach stuff that makes them be sick more than often… have you tried any of the hormone diffusers that plug in and help calm cats?
Should think if he’s stressed and got stomach flaring up he’s not gonna want to eat and drink much :confused:

1 Like

Aww yay!! This is great news to hear and possibly if you can pinpoint what caused his flare up then you can work on ways to help him keep happy and healthy :smiley:

1 Like

Oh I’ve got the Feliway plug ins, he’s taking stuff to keep him calm. Occasionally have to increase it to 2x daily
He’s also on stuff to help his bladder…
Mind,he seems to have similar issues to me: I have gastritis, acid reflux, hiatus hernia & diverticulitis, as well as anxiety (there’s also depression & bpd but that’s another tale)…
Still, I’m enjoying each day I have with him before he goes over the Rainbow Bridge to be with his sister.

1 Like

What caused the flare up? Stress. What made him stressed? Me packing boxes, painting doors ie gloss paint - strong smelling…
I’m still not convinced he’s his usual self but I’m keeping an eye on him.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your thoughts & comments. Much appreciated. :green_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

Aye sounds like your doing everything you can to help and are giving him the best of every day he can have :slightly_smiling_face:

If he’s sensing the change of environment then I can see it’s what has triggered him off and gloss paint if it’s the toxic smelling version can be pretty potent to smaller creatures as their noses are way more sensitive than ours and they’ve smaller lungs too so have to make sure there’s plenty of ventilation to keep the smell out :grimacing:

1 Like

I cried today. Proper cried. Got a letter from the DWP & I was so sure it was going to tell me they weren’t reinstating the enhanced rate so when I read that they were reinstating it, I cried. I was so flipping relieved.

5 Likes

I’m so pleased for you @VeryCurious6 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like