Myers Briggs

I just wondered if anyone has taken a Myers Briggs Personality Type Indicator test?
If so, was it revealing / interesting / bonkers?

I’ve had a crap week and going back to the Type descriptions of my OH and I has been very insightful - reactions to stress etc but also how people respond in personal relationships… (I should add as a caveat that I approach everything with an equal degree of openness and scepticism).

Anyone want to chat about Myers Briggs?

I’ve taken it many times. I found it really helpful when I started work, as it hadn’t occured to me that people can perceive my introversion as a negative thing until that point.

I normally get INFJ but when my depression is severe I often get INFP. I like to take the test often as I like seeing how I change over time.

2 Likes

Taken it a few times, obtained different results depending on mood.

1 Like

Your story is so interesting.
I first did the test as part of my job. I scored a high ‘T’ but it didn’t feel right.
I’ve left paid work to bring up kiddies and to do voluntary community work. I now score INfJ which I feel is a much better fit for me.
I should add that there are no rights and wrongs with this - everyone is unique and each profile is positive and offers ways of being best self.

1 Like

@DLJL yes that happens. Did you ever feel there was a ‘best fit’?
I think sometimes companies do it as a training exercise then forget about it, but there is more to it and it has a sound psychological grounding.
Not sure if I can post a link on this device but can try later…

1 Like

Aaaah yes I love all things personality descriptors and psychological insights. I first did it years and years ago, and like you I always maintain a balance of openness and scepticism, however I really like the myers briggs types. I feel like it acknowledges that different parts of your personality has an affect on the other parts, which is sometimes lacking in other models.

I ran it at a team building day for work (like I think most people do :joy:), and we used it as a practical tool to improve things. Considering which types would work best together, what was needed for specific areas of our work etc. It actually worked really well and I think overall helped people to understand one another more! It was also really interesting to see what people predicted they would be before taking the test, in comparison to what they were afterwards.

I’m an ENFJ and most of it is so accurate to be honest. I’ve taken it quite a few times and always end up with the same thing. Initially, I was a bit taken aback by the E though - I always viewed an extrovert as purely someone who wanted the limelight all the time (which definitely isn’t me) but reading up on it more gives some better understanding. I think the newer add ons (-T or -A) help to explain the nuances a bit more too.

It has definitely helped me to reflect on what makes me act in the way I do and how others may perceive me etc. I think as long as you don’t rely on it, it gives you a really healthy awareness of both yourself and other people in general. I love knowing what other people are, I find it so fascinating.

1 Like
  • types in Myers Briggs into Google*
3 Likes

I took it a couple years ago and got INFP, seemed pretty accurate but my personality has changed quite a bit since then, I’m definitely way more extroverted than I used to be

@MsR thank you for introducing me to this website I am ESFP-T

I apparently have an entertainer type personality… who’da thought :joy:

So I’m 63% extrovert 37% introvert
66% observant 34% intuative
88% feelings 12% thinking - figures
68% prospecting 32% judging
71% turbulent 29% assertive

I would say it’s probably around 85% correct the only thing I would say that is incorrect is that it says I don’t have routine with my child but I do

Signed up to emails may actually take the course

1 Like

@Orgasm_Chaser I’m glad you found it helpful!
I think ESFP is a good match, from what I know of you, but each category is a sliding scale and people move around depending on where life takes them.
Like, I first tested - at work - as INTJ. But in my role now I’m INFJ, which feels likes a good match.
I find it to be very encouraging about the skills of all types.

I haven’t looked at it for a while, so I need to find out about add-ons like your ‘-T’ .
Someone else mentioned that too - I need to find ou more.

1 Like

Yes! I be doing it again definitely! Maybe in 6 months.
I’m going to sit n complete the ‘mastery’ part which is also free

1 Like

Oo found this in The Forum: Digested thanks @Orgasm_Chaser for recommending.

I’m ESFJ-T, the consul, which is pretty spot on I think :grin:

2 Likes

Each to their own. I’d sooner chew my own nuts off than take any kind of “personality test”. IMO half the trouble with the systems we have to deal with in order to get through life is the (largely corporate-driven) obsession with pigeonholing people, categorising them as “types” and determining/limiting their life chances according to such false metrics. Humans are complex and multi-layered individuals, but it’s far too much effort for the governmental/commercial machine to bother with that reality. They need boxes to stuff us in and easy labels to keep us in check - hence: personality tests!

Mutter, mutter, grumble humph. As you were… :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this before. I’ve just done it and come out as ISFP. But only really low percentages, for example only 1% introverted. So I’m not hugely sure what to make of it.

I might do it again when the Mr is home so he can give me his opinion on some of the questions.

Great Post @MsR I found it really interesting!

1 Like

@Forever_his I think each category is like a sliding scale of preferences - so if you are just tipping over to one preference then you might still enjoy using the other preference from time to time.

So if you are Introvert with a strong E side, you might enjoy a good party but need some time to yourself to recover your energy afterwards.

SP types can be very creative, and good with people.

I find the T/F questions tricky - the results are always close but tip over towards F.

On N/S I’m off the scale N - hardly any S in me at all. Explains my aversion to all things practical… :joy:

Also, as we approach our middle years we often start to explore our ‘shadow side’ - the opposite of what we might normally score.

It is all based on the ideas of psychologist Carl Jung, so it has a solid grounding.

@PleasureDrone while I might agree about the tests used corporately to pigeonhole people, that isn’t what Myers Briggs is.

It is based on Carl Jung’s observations and ideas about psychological preferences on how individuals recharge their batteries, take in information, reach decisions and apply them to their lives.
It has a good psychological grounding and allows for all those myriad of complexities which personality presents.

I’m not suggesting it is perfect, but it can be revealing and helpful on people’s journeys through life, and in terms of interpersonal relationships.

At least, that is my experience of it. I have used it in teaching sessions, but it is mostly a personal tool. Both my teens have done it in school and found it helpful and interesting.

https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

2 Likes

Interesting! I found the How do others perceive you questions tricky. As you tend to want to paint yourself in a good light dont you? So I’m going to ask Mr and take his answers on those questions and see if it changes the score.

I think I’m a mix of I/E so I’m totally understanding that one.

I’m going to have a little look into Carl Jung!

1 Like

I really liked the extension of this idea from Lumina Splash. It uses similar dimensions but with more variations and the cool bit is the mat flip where you see what happens when those preferences are overplayed.

In MB terms I have been an INTJ, now more of an IFSP.

I’m not sure that’s true. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s a good bit of fun though. :+1:

OK - I’ll bite.
Which parts of C.G. Jung’s theory of psychological types would you disagree with / like to discuss?

Myers Briggs makes Jung’s theory more ‘user friendly’ and in my view their description of romantic relationships (for the sake of this forum) between types seems pretty accurate in Jungian terms - it is a given that there is scope for variety with in each type.

I also agree that it can just be fun.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like