OA Beauty Tips

Thanks Ad!!!!

Much appreciated! i'm sat here beaming that you thought of me! :]

x X x i only wear eyeliner myself and i'm 19 so i am a bit of a late starter!

SLM that sounds like a plan. i'm going to a wedding reception next month and bought a new dress today and then i realised, i'm 19 now i am going to be expected to wear some make-up!

i have a nice red lipstick i wear in the bedroom sometimes, but it looks nice if i put it on lightly with vaseline over it so i may try that as my dress has some red tones!

i realise to most people make-up and nice dresses are an everyday thing but its so alien to me!

i'm making such a fuss about this dress but its just a floaty thing from peacocks

i got out of the habit of wearing mascara so i may start to wear that again and i will try blusher out and see what i think, i've never worn it before so i'm best practicing before the party!

oh how i wish i'd payed attention when my friends were wearing make-up when we were younger!

going to have a read through all the tips from the rest of the thread now too

VW x

:)

I'd suggest getting some cheap brown mascara, brown eyeliner and some pale, shimmery eye shadows, if you get dark rings under your eyes you can pick up a "concealer pen" from Aldi (for like £3.50 - get it in a shade slightly lighter than your natural colour and put a touch under your eyes), some blush (can't advise colour, would need to know your skin town) and just practise. Brown eyeliner and mascara are great for subtle emphasising rather than all out glam you get with black and some shimmery pinks and browns on the eye are subtle.

The key to eyeshadow is...

very pale (almost white) shimmery shade on the brow bone just below your eyebrow, a medium tone on the full lid and a darker tone on the outer part of the crease (it's called the "outer V" apparently)

Tweased eyebrows make a huge difference and try a little brown eyeliner - I use a khol pencil and just sort of stick it in my eye and run from side to side (you have to be *very* careful not to touch the eyeball though) and brown mascara to finish.

I use some under eye concealer, translucent powder and a little blush too. Rarely wear lip colour - can't be bothered with the feel on my lips and WandA won't kiss me.

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

:)

I'd suggest getting some cheap brown mascara, brown eyeliner and some pale, shimmery eye shadows, if you get dark rings under your eyes you can pick up a "concealer pen" from Aldi (for like £3.50 - get it in a shade slightly lighter than your natural colour and put a touch under your eyes), some blush (can't advise colour, would need to know your skin town) and just practise. Brown eyeliner and mascara are great for subtle emphasising rather than all out glam you get with black and some shimmery pinks and browns on the eye are subtle.

The key to eyeshadow is...

very pale (almost white) shimmery shade on the brow bone just below your eyebrow, a medium tone on the full lid and a darker tone on the outer part of the crease (it's called the "outer V" apparently)

Tweased eyebrows make a huge difference and try a little brown eyeliner - I use a khol pencil and just sort of stick it in my eye and run from side to side (you have to be *very* careful not to touch the eyeball though) and brown mascara to finish.

I use some under eye concealer, translucent powder and a little blush too. Rarely wear lip colour - can't be bothered with the feel on my lips and WandA won't kiss me.

Adx

I've always worn black eyeliner and mascara as i had dyed black hair, but now i have reddy brown black ish hair so i might try the brown thing as it might look a bit better. not so harsh.

my problem with the whole eye thing is i have big black thick rimmed glasses, so i always figure, whats the point in making my eyes look pretty when i have to hide them! (i wont wear contacts though.eeeew eyes make me ill)

Oooh i have a concealer! got it when i was about 15 though... hmmm

i'm kind of olive skinned slightly, i guess i'll have to take my friend with me for the blusher thing because i wouldn't have a clue! its not like i can borrow a friends either because my two best friends are really pale!

Awwh, my boyfriend doesn't like it when my lip;s are sore and i have lots of vaseline on, he makes me wipe it off to kiss him them i can put it back on haha

VW x

Hey VW, don't feel bad about not knowing much about make up, I'm an awful lot older that you and I'm the same, I hardly ever wear anything, mascara and eyeshadow if am going out, but day to day nothing at all, so you're not alone. I kind of missed all that growing up and never really knew where to start and now it just feels so alien to me.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll look great, you could always go get a free makeover at Boots or similar to get some tips of what to do, and as far as I know, whilst they would prefer you to, you don't have to buy anything.

My delicious OH treated me to a facial (no not THAT sort) for Christmas and I went along gto a spa last weekend whilst at Centre Parcs.

WOW! I'm a convert. Even now, 4 days later my skin feels great. I will be booking myself in at least once a month now as soon as I've found a local company that offers such male services.

I'd highly recommend that any guys who are curious take the plunge. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

Hey VW, don't feel bad about not knowing much about make up, I'm an awful lot older that you and I'm the same, I hardly ever wear anything, mascara and eyeshadow if am going out, but day to day nothing at all, so you're not alone. I kind of missed all that growing up and never really knew where to start and now it just feels so alien to me.

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll look great, you could always go get a free makeover at Boots or similar to get some tips of what to do, and as far as I know, whilst they would prefer you to, you don't have to buy anything.

i feel the same as you, like i've missed it and now i feel too silly to say hey i need help!

i am considering going to boots because if it looked good and they told me how to do it i would buy it!

i think i might do that, i could take my friend and make her get one too!

VW x

Vampyrewillow wrote:

i feel the same as you, like i've missed it and now i feel too silly to say hey i need help!

i am considering going to boots because if it looked good and they told me how to do it i would buy it!

VW x

It's definitely worth doing it, I think Body Shop and Debenhams do them too, I have had one at Benefit in Boots for free, and Bobbi Brown in House of Fraser for free but BB stuff is mega expensive, lovely but pricey, so it's worth going along and asking, what have you got to lose?

As you say if you take a friend it will be something good to do together and have lunch after looking all glam :-) That's what I did after my BB one, I went to my old workplace to see friends and some of them didn't even recognise me, cos they had never seen me in make up, haha!

Go for it, it'l be fun :-)

I was a bit of a late starter to the whole girly/make-up thang too, but now I'm a complete product junkie!

If you don't have much experience then personally I'd avoid eyeshadow- at least until you've got some practice at home. I used to look carefully at pictures in magazines etc to see how they used different colours together and the ways they applied it & have gotten loads better. When I first started wearing makeup I'd just pick a colour I thought was pretty and basically colour my eyelid with it- did me no favours! Just wear stuff that accentuates your natural beauty, rather than paints your face.

A sweep of blusher that isn't too dark (I like peachy colours but unlike you I'm v.pale), a little concealer under your eyes/on blemishes and black mascara would be a good start. Buy some eyelash curlers to use before you put mascara on- it makes so much difference, even if I'm not wearing mascara (I don't like to every day as I wear contact lenses) I always curl my eyelashes. Pluck your eyebrows into a nice shape, or just neaten them up and then brush into place using a clear mascara- groomed eyelashes make a lot of difference to your face and make you look 'made up'. I can't really advise about lips because I'm still trying to figure that one our myself lol. I prefer a tinted lipgloss or to dab on a little lipstain rather than lipstick when I'm going out, because I honestly don't have a clue what would suit me :S.

I don't wear much make-up everyday because I like the natural look (even if it doesn't like me lol) and I love getting dressed up to go out and feeling like I look noticably better than usual. Plus, like most women, I just don't have time to spend an hour on my make-up every day! My morning essentials= a light reflective SPF moisturiser (£4 avon), concealer and maybe a smudge of eyeliner to define my eyes a little.

I could jabber on for ages about beauty stuff :/

Vampyrewillow wrote:

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

VW x

Pick where you go very carefully - try looking at the women doing the makeup and see how much they're wearing. It's very easy for them to completely over do it and you feel really uncomfortable because it's just not you!

Adxx

I once used a moisturiser when my skin went itchy... Errr... I also use those little Clearasil spot things sometimes. Maybe I'm just so naturally beautiful!

Actually useful tip:

Youtube.com

(Ad is always looking on there before a big night out!)

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Vampyrewillow wrote:

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

VW x

Pick where you go very carefully - try looking at the women doing the makeup and see how much they're wearing. It's very easy for them to completely over do it and you feel really uncomfortable because it's just not you!

Adxx

Good point Ad, should have said this, a friend went to Mac once and asked for a daytime look & when she came out I thought she looked like a cheap hooker she had that much slap on, I'm sure her face had grown it was that thick so yes check out where to go carefully.

Have to say Bobbi Brown were great & gave you a little booklet with how to do it , plus a breakdown of the products used & they didn't pressure sell at all which was a good tactic cos I spent £60.... lol and they listened when I said I wasn't a make up wearer so wanted a natural look.

If you don't get enough sleep, people keep asking you if you're wearing eye shadow.

Really, they do.

Vampyrewillow wrote:

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

VW x

I really suggest checking out that site I linked. It has really cheap but good made products. You could mess around with a bunch of colours as well as mix things up. They also have a FB page with loads of samples (colours/swabs) and free shipping codes often.

They link you to tutorials and help videos in how to apply the makeup stuff. =]

I agree with the advice on eyeshadow.. I love the dark eye look but I can never do it myself. I look like a panda.. Grr. So you should probably avoid that until you have practiced or just avoid, like me. Although subtle colours can add a nice effect.

Iv always been in to make up, iv finally mastered the heavy black eyemake up without looking like a panda or an emo hehe, perfect red lipstick but my best find is the pink vasaline.

If your in a rush or going to a festival or something, the pink gives a natural shine and colour to your lips and also cheeks, its tranparent enough to use a smidge on your eyebrows and lashes to define them with out using mascara and if you rub a tiny amount in your hands and run it through frizzy hair itl tame it its also fab for touching up make up thats already there and may have run, it works a dream on mascara if theres been tears

xx

LoveHoney - Hella Rouge wrote:

My recommendation is to make an appointment with a make-up counter right at the end of the day, buy some concealer from them and then don't touch your face. Job done for you and most likely to perfection ^_^ xx

I used to always feel like it'd be too cheeky to just prod those folk at make-up counters, but especially when you have brand-specific displays set out, their entire job is to try and make you see how amazing you'd look with their product(s) on. Places like Debenhams are great for having booths like that up, but basically whenever you see one, attack them and tell them you're clueless. Can't tell you how many free make-overs I got, and when I eventually did find stuff I liked, I knew right away which bits and what shades suited me, and was able to get the chick there to talk me through all the little tricks she'd used in applying it. They often work on commission, so they will fall all over themselves to help if there's even the slimmest chance of you buying anything.

Vampyrewillow wrote:

SLM that sounds like a plan. i'm going to a wedding reception next month and bought a new dress today and then i realised, i'm 19 now i am going to be expected to wear some make-up!

why are you expected to? surley wearing make up is a choice?

Actually, that's a good point! At 19, you can usually get away without, or with maybe a touch of mascara and some light lipgloss, nothing else. Your skin isn't old enough to need plastering over, and the natural look is all in: going nudie-face will just have all the middle-aged relatives envious of your fresh youthfulness!

BashfulBabe wrote:

Actually, that's a good point! At 19, you can usually get away without, or with maybe a touch of mascara and some light lipgloss, nothing else. Your skin isn't old enough to need plastering over, and the natural look is all in: going nudie-face will just have all the middle-aged relatives envious of your fresh youthfulness!

sorry but i can't really see why its an obligation for any woman to have to wear make up, regardless of age?

I only trust the people on the Benefit counter to do make up on me in shops. Everyone else is orange.