OA Beauty Tips

Oh of course, no one ever HAS to wear it. I just meant that often women of a certain age can make themselves look younger with make-up and they like that and find it boosts their confidence, whereas at 19 there's nothing to be gained in that sense. Like, there's never an obligation, but there is a reason when you're older (if you are so inclined) that doesn't exist for us lucky young ones (yes I'm still young!). :)

And Benefit are awesome, they're the ones who finally swayed me into buying stuff! They completely get how make-up works. Love them to bits.

sweetlove666 wrote:

Vampyrewillow wrote:

SLM that sounds like a plan. i'm going to a wedding reception next month and bought a new dress today and then i realised, i'm 19 now i am going to be expected to wear some make-up!

why are you expected to? surley wearing make up is a choice?

Of course it is a choice, but i'm not very pretty, so if i am wearing a nice dress but don't make an effort with my face or my hair its a waste of a nice dress because i won't look nice.

i'm not really looking to wear make=up everyday but if i am going out to somewhere nice, at 19 by the majority of people it is expected you wear make-up.

i just feel like i will look better and more grown up if i have some form of make up on, i'm not going to lather my face in foundation, because have a nice complexion anyway so i know i don't need it, but i feel i should make a small effort for my cousins wedding reception!

the tips here are all fab and i shall be trying pretty much all of them! (not at the same time i don't want to be a clown!)

VW x

I used to wear sooo much make up when i was younger, im suprised my face hitting the floor! I honestly looked like an oompa lompa. But now i only wear a powder on my face and the rose vasaline on my lips, thats it, no mascara or anything, i dont need too, and i like the natural look, plus im blessed with very good skin.

If we are going out of an evening i will wear concealer under my eyes, foundation, mascara, liquid eyeliner and a pale shimmer eyeshadow on my brow bone so even then i guess its quite tame.

The 1 thing i think is essential is moisturise, my favourite for this is the body shop coconut body butter, its thick and creamy and really does just melt into the skin leaving it soft and smelling 'ansome!

Oh and the tips on this thread are fabulous! Learnt a few tricks i think im going to try out =]

violeteyes wrote:

i never wear foundation- anything makes me look orange. i use spot conceiler by collection 2000 from boots as foundation on my face, as it is much more pale.

I buy a bottle Stargazer pure white foundation from ebay and mix a little up with regular foundation (in the palest shade) in one of those little travel pots you can get, and voila- the perfect shade with no orange. Yes, I really am that pale. Loreal foundations are the best for pale skins shade-wise, their lightest is almost perfect for me. 17 skin perfecting foundation in soft ivory is also pretty good.

I only wear it foundation on special occasions though.

As for concealer I use one by '2true' from superdrug (http://www.superdrug.com/concealer/2true-3-in-1-concealer-no-1-light/invt/312487/) It's cheap and not the best quality, but the best colour match I've found so far, so I still use it. I used to use the collection 2000 one too but found it much too thick.

Max Factor do some brill foundations, esp if you suffer from oily skin.

Nowhere else has helped me like they have. The women on the counter were lovely and nothing was too much trouble.

I always think if you go to an orange make-up lady you kinda have to wonder what she's going to do to you. I alwyas head for the person who's make-up resembles the sort of thing I want!

My complete minimal make up is a dust of Rimmel transluscent powder (it's called "clarifying powder" - I've no idea what that means but it just soaks up any oil without adding any colour) and some dark grey eyeliner (because I ran out of black) but because I wear kohl and it runs like mad if I'm not wearing mascara with it that's only if I'm popping out for half an hour max.

Otherwise the minimal is eyeliner, powder, mascara and dust of blusher because the powder pales me out a bit. Usually wear under eye illuminator but I can live without it. Like to wear bright or dark eyeshadows for a bit of something different but again non-essential and I have to use a brow pencil because my eyebrows are almost invisible due to the blondeness.

If I wear anything on my lips I'm constantly pressing them together so I avoid it unless they're chapped in the winter.

I almost always have perfectly painted nails - it's a bore the upkeep but I can't stand to see chipped polish and I love having long nails (they won't stay long without protection). I got so used to wearing darks that I have to paint 'em now anyway because they're stained.

I dye my hair my natural summer colour because in the winter it's nearly brown, but not a nice brown, a dull winter blonde kind of brown.

I drink loads of water because the tablets I'm on give you a dry mouth so that's good but other than that I don't take great care of my skin - Simple baby wipes to remove make up and a wash. Can't use moisturiser as my skin's a bit oily and otherwise I've good skin so it doesn't need it!

I like to put some effort into my appearance because most days I feel like I've been hit by a bus and I when I was suffering with a little bout of depression a few years ago I stopped with the make up/hair completely and really, caring about your appearance is a big part of feeling good about yourself so I put the effort in. Looking "normal" makes me feel better too!

My biggest advice to anyone though - anyone can look 100 times better just by....plucking their eyebrows! Not too much, just tidy, makes a huge difference I find (and mine are nearly invisible!).

Adx

Oh and my "treat" is Lancome! I love their make up - fab mascaras, great lipsticks that are so sheer and comfy to wear and subtle and glittery!

Mac for eyeshadows and gel eyeliner too. Though my all time favourite eyeshadows are the ones I pinch of my mum - Virgin Vie shimmery sets - beautiful!

I'm desperately after this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-120-Color-Eyeshadow-Palette-eye-shadow-MAKEUP-KING-/320542916947?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Eye_Shadow_PP&hash=item4aa1d8c153 they look great quality and really cheap!

Day to day I'll just wear whatever cheapo eyeshadow I have but I like posh 'uns as a treat!

Adxx

I dont wear any makeup at all normally.

I never really know how or what to put on, but I've never felt like I've needed to.

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I'm desperately after this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-120-Color-Eyeshadow-Palette-eye-shadow-MAKEUP-KING-/320542916947?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Eye_Shadow_PP&hash=item4aa1d8c153 they look great quality and really cheap!

I have one of those! The colours are really pigmented and it's perfect for playing around with new looks. Has a nice mixture of shimmery/matt colours & It's great for dressing up too- this Halloween I was a devil and the red came in v.handy (not a colour I would buy otherwise!). Have to be careful not to drop it though or the eyeshadows break :(

Also love the Sleek (superdrug again) palettes right now- £5.99, lovely colours and great quality :)

chipNroll wrote:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I have one of those! The colours are really pigmented and it's perfect for playing around with new looks. Has a nice mixture of shimmery/matt colours & It's great for dressing up too- this Halloween I was a devil and the red came in v.handy (not a colour I would buy otherwise!). Have to be careful not to drop it though or the eyeshadows break :(

Also love the Sleek (superdrug again) palettes right now- £5.99, lovely colours and great quality :)

I have heard great things about it! It just looks ideal for me - loads of different bright colours, really pigmented which means they'll last longer and sure I might not ever use some of the colours - but if they're included, there's no harm and like you say, good for fancy dress!

Adx

Wow!

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/01/13/pikachu-lips/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-free-beauty-deals

Great tip - I haven't paid full prize for a mascara in 2 years now and I wear it every day! Get tips on *cheaper* versions or free ones for lots of things!

Also - magicfreebiesuk.co.uk sometimes have make up freebies

Adxx

http://www.halfpriceperfumes.co.uk/

This is an alright site too though if they run out of an offer they'll send you something different instead (though you can refuse it and send it back and they'll reimburse the P&P both ways)

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-free-beauty-deals

Great tip - I haven't paid full prize for a mascara in 2 years now and I wear it every day! Get tips on *cheaper* versions or free ones for lots of things!

Also - magicfreebiesuk.co.uk sometimes have make up freebies

Adxx

Price!

Gosh I need to sleep for like a week!

Adx

I dont wear much make up but i do have quite expensive taste (well i think its a tad expensive) i use boots number 7 the girls on the make up counter always apply it well and listen to what you want.

Ladies

I wonder if any of you have advice on a really intensive hair conditioner I can try. At the moment I am having chemo and radio therapy. Luckily I keep my hair on the drugs I am on (other side effects horrendous lol) but it is very very dry.

For someone who is super proud of her dark locks, it abit of a blow. My hair isn't coloured but I have tried loads and loads of off the shelf treatments, just just wondering if one stood out to someone as being amazing?

I need something that will sort out the dryness, or at least just a little bit. Am prepared to pay abit more or even try some natural homemade stuff

violeteyes wrote:

LittleMiss1981UK wrote:

Ladies

I wonder if any of you have advice on a really intensive hair conditioner I can try. At the moment I am having chemo and radio therapy. Luckily I keep my hair on the drugs I am on (other side effects horrendous lol) but it is very very dry.

For someone who is super proud of her dark locks, it abit of a blow. My hair isn't coloured but I have tried loads and loads of off the shelf treatments, just just wondering if one stood out to someone as being amazing?

I need something that will sort out the dryness, or at least just a little bit. Am prepared to pay abit more or even try some natural homemade stuff

i heard avocado is very good for moisturising hair? im sorry i cant be much help, i myself have ver dry hair. but yeah, avocado oil might be good

Ohhhhhhh maybe we should both try some ?

LittleMiss1981UK wrote:

Ladies

You're having both at the same time? Thats interesting I didnt think they could do that. My mother has just finished her chemo and is on radiotherapy now, so I understand its not easy.

Hair masks may be a good way to go with this kind of thing, ive found that ive used them in the middle of summer (when my hair gets dry) once a week, and it really helps. I think the hard one is trying to find the right one that suits your hair.

Quick search showed this list LM81:

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p_best_conditioners/p17952/page2

Here is general haircare from the Indy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/the-ten-best-hair-care-products-1634083.html?action=Gallery