Pigeon in the chimney

I know this sounds absurd here at Lovehoney, but I havent been sorting something like this before. We have pigeon trapped in the chimney in rather narrow place. We are seeking professional help, so far googling did not produce succesful results, as the one organisation my housemate called told us they have noone on emergencies and that we have to wait till tomorrow and there MAY be someone available, but they dont know. Any suggestions/previous experience, who to ask for help?

Im not sure that there is very much that anyone can do they just kinda get trapped there. We have had it at work before but luckily not at home.

Maybe call the RSPCA and ask if they can recommend anyone or anything you can do.

I am just not amused the organisation she called said they dont have emergency service. I was working for similar organisation as volunteer in my home country and we had 24 hours emergency, I remember having an emergency at 11pm in a small town 50km away, but in our responsibility zone and yes we reacted.

I am hoping someone may be able to do something, its really down and can be reached if someone is careful, but I dont dare to remove it, I as I lack the skills professionals doing this have. And I am really worried I would injure us both.

I would call the RSPCA if you havent already and ask them for advice, if anyone is gonna come out and help you would think that they would. Waiting another day might just mean that it hurts itself, and it might be to late by then, plus I am sure that it is noisey in there so waiting all night might mean very little sleep for everyone.

Theres the RSPCA version for birds I'm sure, but they've not be doing their job if they told you to leave it!!!

funnily a nasty mouse just ran across my kitchen *shudder*

boobaloo wrote:

I would call the RSPCA if you havent already and ask them for advice, if anyone is gonna come out and help you would think that they would. Waiting another day might just mean that it hurts itself, and it might be to late by then, plus I am sure that it is noisey in there so waiting all night might mean very little sleep for everyone.

Thats the one which we tried. they told us they dont have anyone on emergencies and that they will try to get to us tomorrow, but no promise on when and if.

I am fine. My room is at the oposite side of the house, but my housemate has his bed next to the chimney, so he may end up sleeping downstairs. Because it is very noisy.

Try and call them again, hopefully a different opperator will answer and be more helpful. I've done this in the past.

(A horrible story)

One time my waterheater wasn't working, so we got the plumbers over. He said there was a blockage, he took the waterheater apart and there was a bat wedged inside the pipe.

green eyes, RSPB is for birds, not sure if they act the same way as the RSPCA though, but always worth a try.

boobaloo wrote:

green eyes, RSPB is for birds, not sure if they act the same way as the RSPCA though, but always worth a try.

They only have contact for office hours plus

The RSPB does not run bird hospitals or a rescue service. We do not have any facilities to accommodate domestic fowl.

*sigh* Not going to tell this to my friend who works for similar organisation in my home country, dont want to cause her distress. She would be not pleased - I am not pleased because I did some work with her and I was on 24 hours emergency with her. So I guess its trapped there until the morning. And someone will have to be at home all day tomorrow. And really hope RSPCA decides to turn up. If it cannot be rescued I would rather have it someone to put it to its death, as it would be faster and painless, otherwise the poor creature may suffer for some time. I know that work is hard, been there, even helping to put some animals which could not be saved, to sleep. But this attitute is just ridiculous for me. Especially asking for helping them after they tell us they dont do emergencies after hours. Bleh. Wondering what they do if they have a baby animal, who needs feeding at night?! Not sure I want to know.

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

Try and call them again, hopefully a different opperator will answer and be more helpful. I've done this in the past.

(A horrible story)

One time my waterheater wasn't working, so we got the plumbers over. He said there was a blockage, he took the waterheater apart and there was a bat wedged inside the pipe.

Oh dear. That sounds terrible as well.

I find it rather discusting that they only have emergency calls in office hours and also, that the organization didn't respond to your call immediatly..

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

I find it rather discusting that they only have emergency calls in office hours and also, that the organization didn't respond to your call immediatly.. External Media

We called them at round 7pm, and someone answered it, but we were told they have noone on emergencies to send to us. So we would have to wait till their normal hours and call them again (no, they did not even take any details from us). I know its a pigeon, but thats also an animal. I am really really unhappy. Wondering if they would react differently if it was some extremely rare animal?

I have to admit I suffer badly inside, without even hearing the pigeon there. Even should be working on essay, but my thoughts are still with the frightened animal. It may be long night for me without it waking me up.

And the one for birds does not rescue them, they only give you information. for rescue help you need RSPCA.

Laveila wrote:

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

I find it rather discusting that they only have emergency calls in office hours and also, that the organization didn't respond to your call immediatly.. External Media

We called them at round 7pm, and someone answered it, but we were told they have noone on emergencies to send to us. So we would have to wait till their normal hours and call them again (no, they did not even take any details from us). I know its a pigeon, but thats also an animal. I am really really unhappy. Wondering if they would react differently if it was some extremely rare animal?

I have to admit I suffer badly inside, without even hearing the pigeon there. Even should be working on essay, but my thoughts are still with the frightened animal. It may be long night for me without it waking me up.

And the one for birds does not rescue them, they only give you information. for rescue help you need RSPCA.

A pigeon or not, an animal is an animal and it should be out of there by now.

*hugs* just try not to think about it until tomorrow.

Thanks for the hug. I really love animals, even wanted to study biology until my current field came by and stole my heart. But one reason why I volunteered with animals was that I still love them. Plus my moms cat was found starving, missing teeth and with broken jaw and 3 kittens, without the help of the organisation who took her in immediately after being found, she might not have been here today. I am glad she is, although she is handicapped (the jaw melted together badly and is moved plus the missing teeth).

Oh well, I will hope for the best.

If you can reach the bird, a pair of thick gloves or a towel wrapped round your hands will help protect you and the bird. If it's possible to remove the fireplace or whatever grating is trapping the pigeon, it may fall out on its own. Make sure you have either a towel to catch it with or a really obvious open window for it to escape from!

Good luck,

Mr Mr

Mr Monster wrote:

If you can reach the bird, a pair of thick gloves or a towel wrapped round your hands will help protect you and the bird. If it's possible to remove the fireplace or whatever grating is trapping the pigeon, it may fall out on its own. Make sure you have either a towel to catch it with or a really obvious open window for it to escape from!

Good luck,

Mr Mr

External Media this.

One of our cats constantly brings birds in & they're not always completely dead.

We have a bucket we use to trap them in with a towel over it or we kind of herd them towards the open window/door x

I have talked to a friend who works for similar oriented company in my home country and she was actually rescueing a pigeon from a chimney last very evening while we tried to sort this after being called by the house owner . She gave me some tips. I am mainly worried about the wing which is open, as I will have to put it back to the body and that will be the tricky part. But if they are not here by the time I get back from library in 3 hours I will give it a try. I will use some gloves. I am less worried about it hurting me, more about me, hurting it - especially the wing can be damaged. Plus the ventilation to the room from the chimney for heat is not that big, but rather smallish. Also my worry is what I will do if the bird is badly injured. I did put animals to sleep before obviosly, but by injection and now I would be on my own.

how did it go??? free yet?

No, they told us its not their priority, as there is a beaten dog elsewhere (was apparently 4 hours ago), so they have no clue when/if they will come. I am pretty irritated and just getting my courage up to do it myself. And trust me, I will never ever donate them a single penny. Not after this. Nor will I volunteer for them, although I was considering volunteering for similar organisation, I really liked it back with my friend.

its FREE! When I started to do it, a woman arrived. took about 1-2 min to actually got it out, if you know what to do - you need to get the wings to be body and dont let it open them, and then get it out. The only problem was the open wing, but she managed to close it and it was really fast. And it was unharmed and had no problems with flying.

yayayaya... shame they werent so quick to come even though it is ok.