Players of the game threads - lets chat

Hey All! So there is a swanky setting that lets me automatically delete replies after a certain time, on certain threads. This would be brilliant for the games as it means in theory you’ll never have to start a new thread because the old one is auto-closed. We can also removed the eg. part 5 's from the titles.

My question to you is, how many days worth of replies would you like to keep? They seem to fill up in 1 month (at least the change a letter one does) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Morning Brenna,
I think a maximum of 7 days worth of replies is more than enough. If I do skip back to see if I’m duplicating a post, I don’t go back more than a day or two.

4 Likes
How many days worth of replies?
  • 2-3
  • A week
  • 2 weeks
  • 1 month

0 voters

4 Likes

Hey @Lovehoney_Brenna great idea! I reckon about a week would be enough :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would think a week was enough for the fast moving ones, but even then sometimes things sit inactive for a bit before picking up again?

1 Like

The fast moving ones, maybe a week, the ones that can go a week without play, a month?

4 Likes

Good point. If this new auto-delete function was switched on, is there any risk of it making a whole thread vanish just because nobody had posted there within a given period?

Mind you, there are a LOT of game threads on here. I do sometimes wonder whether it should be called “The best place on the internet to play daft word games …and occasionally talk about sex” :wink:

I’ve had a google and it seems to leave the topic standing, but I think you’d have to start again from post 1. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Hmmm… it would be good if it could leave the last…say…half dozen posts there. But if it can’t, it can’t, I guess.

A rolling 1000 posts would be ideal, but I don’t think they’ve built it with Games in mind.

I’m going to try and set it up with how popular the thread is, as @WillC and @Cassii mentioned, some aren’t as popular. Some could probably get away with 2 months and still never reach their 10,000 limit

4 Likes

The Pub Quiz one has about 800 posts after 2 months (~400/month = 25 months to 10k), so maybe that one gets a 700 day timer. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think the only problem you might have is that some of the slightly more complicated ones have instructions on post 1 which would also be lost so you lose the sort of introduction to the game.

The complicated ones aren’t that busy, so maybe no timer for those? Did you have one in mind? (or Brenna could edit the instruction blurb into the OP if it needed it?)

And the Emoji Charades only has ~250 posts, so that one probably doesn’t need a timer either. And it’s a great one to scroll through if you’re new as they’re all self-contained. I’d say they’re just as much fun if you’re new to them as they were when I first saw them. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

This is true… realistically I was thinking about the Pub Quiz and maybe Blind Date.

As you say though, they don’t have the same rate of turnover as the word games so can maybe be exempt?

1 Like

The OP always remains, it isn’t included in the cull :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I normally just do ‘Between the Two’ and ‘Rhyming Rounds’ - I try to enter words that haven’t been used before (through ‘search this topic’) so I like it that the replies go back a long way, it makes it more of a challenge