POLL - Are you a talker or a typer?

Hi all,

This is just me musing idly about something of no real importance. It’s just a thing on the Forum that I’ve observed and find intriguing. I’m not judging anyone here! :grin:

Quite frequently I see posts in which it seems obvious to me that the poster is using a speech-to-text thing on their phone or other device, instead of typing. You can tell, because the resulting text contains the kind of soundalike/homophone errors you see in on-the-fly subtitles on the TV news. Sometimes the result is unintentionally funny; sometimes you can even tell a person’s regional accent, because the “wrong” word chosen by the app gives you a hint as to how they say their vowel sounds etc.

As someone who’s never used a speech-to-text service to post on a forum, it interests me. I have this vision of people speaking their responses into their phone (or smart speaker?? I dunno…) because life’s busy and their hands are full doing something else - or maybe they always use it cos of disability.

So I just wondered if my hunch is right. How many of us here do make use of this functionality to make forum posts, simply because (I imagine) it’s a lot easier than typing on a little screen?

Ooooo! This means I get the chance to make my very first POLL - how exciting! :star_struck:

• YES - I use speech-to-text a lot on the forum
  • NO - I never do (or hardly ever)
  • DEPENDS - I use both methods, as needed

0 voters

3 Likes

I’m a typer. I’ve tried the speech to text converters before, and I end up spending more time correcting their output than if I were to type. However, for those with challenges whilst typing, they are invaluable and pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Oh dear - I think there’s something wrong with my poll. It’s currently showing a total of more than 100% of voters, and I’m sure I set it so people could only choose one option. Never mind - it’s only a bit of fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

No only ever type, too old for all this techno stuff! Plus it probably wouldn’t understand my accent!

4 Likes

Definitely a typer. I don’t think I’d want to speak my posts out loud, I’d be worried who was listening!

2 Likes

Oh blimey yes - good point! :laughing:

2 Likes

You could copy and paste this one in instead? It’ll reset the votes, but if you ask kindly enough people generally don’t mind voting again. :slightly_smiling_face:

[poll name=redo type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar]
* YES - I use speech-to-text a lot on the forum
* NO - I never do (or hardly ever)
* DEPENDS - I use both methods, as needed
[/poll]

Thanks, Ian, but it’s alright - I’ll leave it. Slightly baffled as to how it went awry, but no harm done. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s because people can vote more than once. It looks like someone has voted for 3 options or a couple of people have picked 2 options probably by mistake?

Yeah, I wondered about that, but I deffo set the maximum number of choices to one per person. Go figure…

1 Like

I have never used the speech to text thing in my life! I’m definitely more of a typer.

I too would be a bit worried about being overheard :hushed:

1 Like

Didnt even know speech to text was an option. Might reduce my spelling gaffs if anything :laughing: but im in the “do I really want to say it out loud where people might overhear” camp

2 Likes

No worries. :slightly_smiling_face: If you fancy a practice don’t forget about The Sandbox :+1:

1 Like

I am 100% a typer, however… I still end up with lots of random word changes due to a mispressed key and predictive text changing it to something it thinks I’m sure to have meant! :joy:

P.S. Congratulations on your first poll :clap::clap:

2 Likes

I’m a typer. But I can tell when I’ve posted something via my laptop or phone as when using the mobile there’ll quite often be autocarrot errors I’ve not noticed. :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Yep the auto correct things slips me up often too. I haven’t visited the website or forum on anything other than mobile.

This is what always happens to me when I use it :roll_eyes: :expressionless:

And then this is what happens when I type :joy:

3 Likes

I’m a type person, not one for shouting at my phone. Perhaps it reminds me too much of Dom Jolly :rofl:

3 Likes

Hmmm… so according to the poll results so far, basically everyone is a typer, not a talker. Looks like I’ve been misinterpreting instances like this one I’ve just seen:

It’s obvious that what @Mrs.John intended was “reposition”, and it seems an odd word for auto-complete/predictive text to choose instead - looks exactly like a speech-to-text error! Go figure… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@PleasureDrone I adore you!
It was an auto correct (typo). But after my Son was diagnosed with dyslexia I think I maybe too.

1 Like