Positive experiences of IUD/IUS/contraceptive coil

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

kitty29 wrote:

Thank you everyone! It is reassuring to hear some positive stories. I think the whole concept kinda scares me!

Is there a particular thing about the concept, IUD or procedure you're particularly concerned or scared by? Maybe we can help alleviate some worries.

I think it is mostly the concept of something hiding away up there where I get just take it straight out whenever I want. My cervix has also always been pretty sensitive so I am worried about the pain of insertion as well as pain afterwards. I have also had issues in the past with partners bumping my cervix during sex and it being painful (I guess mine just sits a bit low sometimes) so i worry that this could be more of an issue with the IUD being in.

I too have the Mirena coil, I'm on my second as well. I don't have it for contraception (I'm sterilised) but to manage my very heavy periods and severe cramping due to perimenopause - it had got so bad that I would flood through tampons, towels and clothes, and I felt awful - they got to be almost continous too. I love the Mirena; as everyone else who has one says, they reduce periods to nothing or nearly so, and don't interfere with your life.

A couple of partners have found the strings but it's not been a problem. I would recommend it too, even though it does hurt when they're put in - it's pretty quick though and so worth it. In the past I've had the hormone implant (body wasn't too keen) and both the pill and mini pill (didn't much like either), as well as a diaphragm, which was okay.

About diaphragms, don't put them in when drunk. I did, and I lost my grip when it was halfway in - it shot out hitting the bathroom door, and gave my poor pussy a rather painful twang!

I've had the Mirena but my experience was overall not positive. The only good thing was that I didn't have 7-10 days long periods, nor heavy bleeding. I did have spotting all the time, though. Very annoying if you want to get the full sex experience, but practically easier to handle than my normally heavy flow. (there's lots of other negative things I won't mention as this is about positive experiences - sorry, did my best!)

Hiya, I’ve had the pill for almost 2 years, in that time I switched between two pills (can’t remember the names as this was back in 2010-11), I changed from one to the other due to a massive weight gain & worry of future bloodclots! I then decided against the pill, and had the implant put in my arm for 3 years, worked like a dream as I am incredibly forgetful! But continued to gain weight despite completely changing diet and incorporating more exercise. But in the 3rd year, as the hormones started wearing off my skin became horrible and I lost a lot of hair! I then decided to go down the IUD route - which lead me to the same dilemma I believe you’re currently in... I personally went with the copper coil, I love the idea of having no “extra” hormones floating around my whole body, or even contained within my womb. Everyone is different so try not to let horrror stories put you off as every contraceptive has it’s horror stories, just because it simply didn’t work with that woman’s body. I was initially put off by the idea of having heavier periods given that due to my weight (I rock my winter body all year round haha!) I already had heavy periods, but I guess I just chose the right contraceptive for my body as my periods became lighter, more predicatable. They went from about 7-9 days heavy, to 6 days light-medium. I use “Clue” to track my period (I have an awful memory!) it really helps me! I had the copper coil in since early 2016, till July this year - I had the longer 10 year copper coil, but decided to have it removed this year due to personal reasons. If I was to decide to use contraceptives again, I would definitely choose the copper coil, without a second thought. For me, it is the only contraceptive I haven’t had negative side affects with. I hope this helps in some way! Honestly, you just have to find what works best for you, mentally and physically, whatever you’re comfortable with is the right one for you! Luckily if you try a contraceptive and it doesn’t work for you or feel right, you can stop & try another. Good luck! (Sorry for the length - my OH never apologises for this reason, just me haha!)