Pregnancy and vibrators

Hi all, Iโ€™ve just found iโ€™m pregnant; i wasnt in the great world of toys and vibrators with my first child. Can anyone advise if its safe? I love my rabbit and lelo sona! ๐Ÿ˜€ Thank you x

There is no hard evidence with respect to this, as testing of effects of anything on pregnant women is an ethically dubious area.

The likelihood is that you will be asbolutely fine to continue with toys. However, there will be a small percentage of women for whom the toys will cause problems. I think therefore that the truely sensible thing to do is to not use them during the first trimester, which is when things are at most risk of going wrong, and then perhaps play easy during second trimester too.

Congrats on your expectationising

Hey Blueprincess

So long as you, your baby and your pregnancy are healthy, there's no reason a pregnant person should avoid any sexual acitivity, including using their favourite vibrator.

However, it's always best to check these things with your midwife as they'll be aware of your entire medical history, how far along you are in your pregnancy and specifically your situation. Everybody's body is different, so you can never be too safe.

And don't worry - midwives get asked this all the time so it won't be an unusual question for them.

Many congratulations!

My sex drive went through the roof in the second trimester and I used toys daily as rather frustratingly actual sex was quite uncomfortable. I was never told it was an issue, but yes check with your midwife. Personally I always assumed that the rhythmic contractions from orgasms might actually help tone up those muscles for the the fun and games yet to come when preggers.

Congratulations Blueprincess, thatโ€™s great ๐Ÿ˜€

Congratulations to you 'Blueprincess', fab news!! ๐Ÿ’Œ

Hi, firstly congratulations! We hadn't delved into the world of sex toys when I was pregnant the first time, but we had by the time I was pregnant a second time and I had these concerns myself. I was too embarrassed to ask my midwife, she was very clinical about the whole pregnancy and not very chatty. I looked into it quite a bit and from everything I read, it's absolutely fine to continue as you were before you were pregnant so long as you haven't had any bleeding or have been told by your midwife to avoid sex, obviously that would include vibrators/dildos. We had no problems but if you feel at all concerned I would check with a health care professional

Yay congratulations! I only really used my rabbit during pregnancy. I am not really one for self love but boy did I need it! I had no issues but it was small, nothing massive. I needed to take a few pessaries during that pregnancy as I had several antibiotics and that caused mega thrush. My gp told me not to use the applicator as it risked popping my waters. I would avoid anything gianormous.

Firstly huge congratulations:) Re vibrators. Personally Iโ€™d avoid penetration in the first trimester but I am a worry head xx