Pregnancy massage

I know it's early days, but I am after some ideas for giving my good lady wife a massage.
She is 6 weeks pregnant (as I say early days), I am getting prepared for when the bump arrives and it's becoming hard work for her. I would like to help her relax and feel more comfortable, with a calming and sensual massage. Any ideas?

well, if her bump isn't too... bumpy, she can lie on her front for you to massage her back- especially her lower back as she will be putting extra strain on this area. as her bump grows she will need to lie on her side for you to massage her.

obviously do not massage her stomach area and never massage the spine. but other places she might like to have massaged are her legs and feet, her hands and arms which can all be done with her lying on her front.

as for techniques- start by using stroking motions over the area you are working on- for example her lower back. as she starts to relax gradually use a firmer pressure. when she is fully relaxed you can work in small circles up each side of her spine using your thumbs or fingertips- do this a few times. then try working on her sides- a more fleshy area- using your whole hand and work it almost like kneading dough. ask her if the pressure is ok and if she wants more or less.

as for a massage oil- you must use something other the massage will be painful. as long as she doesn't have a nut allergy, sweet almond oil is a fantastic base oil. there are alot of essential oils out there but there are also alot which you shouldn't use during the first 3 months of pregnancy and some which you shouldn't use at all. i am not an expert on this and if you aren't either i would recommend simply sticking with a base oil so always read labels when buying the oil.

if you do want to try essential oils- wait until she is at least 3 months gone then do plenty or research and only use it very very diluted.

this lovehoney oil looks like it might be very nice- http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18192

but it might be wise getting in touch with customer services for a full ingredients list just to be on the safe side.

Thank you katmiaow, you have been a fantastic help. I'll look into some oil, which ones can/cannot be used and list them on here. As it is early days I'll use the basic body moisteiriser, cocoa butter, we have while I do some research.
Thank you again. Xxxx

no probs- let us know how it goes down with your wife!

if you need any other help or tips just ask- i am trained in massage so should be able to help a bit..!

Hi firemonkey

Congrates

when I was heavily pregnant I found having my back massaged while I was stood leaning against a table helped. Her midwife should be able to give you more advice when she has one, bit early for that yet

Massage also helps during labour so I am sure she will appreciate the effort

xGGx

Great advice! One thing to add: during the later stages of pregancy the connective tissue in the pelvis and lower back actually begins to soften, which can make the backache worse, but which means you need to be careful when pressing hard on that area.

It's fantastic that you're thinking about these things this early on.

All the best

MrMr

EDIT - Double post.

Thank you for your support and advice. I am trying to do as much as I can to help with all the issues that comes with being pregnant. I may not be the one that is pregnant but it's my family. So thank you all your advice is much needed and appreciated.
Lots of love. X

ghostgirl wrote:

Hi firemonkey

Congrates

when I was heavily pregnant I found having my back massaged while I was stood leaning against a table helped. Her midwife should be able to give you more advice when she has one, bit early for that yet

Massage also helps during labour so I am sure she will appreciate the effort

xGGx

Or sat back-to-front on a chair.

Congratulations FireMonkey!

i foud havign my feet massaged was the best thing Icould have done to me when I was pregnant as I foubd it hard to get comfortable for a body massage.

But feet massages were bliss and much needed.

Wishing you both a very happy and stress free pregnancy and easy birth xx