Rant Thread - Get it all out here

I feel for you @teacake, finding the jobs only temp when you believed it to be permanent really sucks. I think I would keep well away from them if I was you. Good luck on finding something else

@steve19 Yeah I’m keeping away from them now, Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: I still feel angry about it mainly about how i was treated when they paired me up with the guy with a attitude.

1 Like

Cheers fingers crossed @teacake :crossed_fingers:

You know I’m glad i told the agency about him smoking they said they will talk to the manager about it. I use to be a smoker but quit 21 years ago, i must say it was making me feel really sick. Wish i had known about the no smoking rule.

1 Like

Yeah it came in a fair few years ago, i was working in a steel mill at the time and it created a lot of aggro with some of the smokers cos they argued that with all the smoke and fumes from rolling oil, slurry, furnaces etc they were still breathing in shit. The company then allowed them to have 5 minute cigarette breaks on the car park as a compromise, which lead us non-smokers to ask for 5 minute fresh air breaks!
The van rule even applies to the self employed, but how that’s enforcable i have no idea!

I can now say I can understand why they brought that rule in. At the end of the day i felt the effects of the smoke.

1 Like

Exactly it’s for the health and safety of those who don’t smoke.

I had a phonecall from the agency offering another job i declined because they can’t say if it would lead to a permanent job, the person did say thank you about telling them about the smoking and apparently the business i worked for knew about the smoking and was trying to sort it out. If they knew about it then why are those people still working there.

3 Likes

Cos they’re probably turning a blind eye to it, and just fobbing the agency off?

1 Like

Probably don’t want the hassle of it or they aren’t bothered. There’s a lot of nepotism that goes on in work places and some people get away with murder :confused:

3 Likes

@WillC @Mint-Monster Exactly what i thought management doesn’t seem to care once you are out of their grounds, the guy i was with took off his hi vis jacket as soon as we were away.

I’m not going back to work for that business again and i probably won’t use the agency again unless a job comes up that’s really good.

3 Likes

Mentioned this before I will say it again. If you want to look at your phone fine do so, stop walking and look at it that is all you have to do, stop and look.

:rage:

2 Likes

That annoys me too, wether i’m on foot or driving. Another bugbear is people shopping and talking on their phone at the same time, oblivious to where they’re pushing their trolley.

1 Like

I’ve had it recently where I am always the one doing messages to friends to arrange things or just to check in.

I completely understand people have super busy lives but a quick ‘you ok?’ really goes a long way.

I’m always one to go out of my way for anyway just want it to be returned.

Sorry for the rant :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Yeah that is shit I hate being the one having to chase to be in someones life. I tend to pull back and see if they step up and if they don’t then I know where I stand :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m doing exactly that as we speak. Just waiting to see if anyone reaches out first. It’s upsetting but you’re right, you then know where you stand with people.

I hope they do.

Got a fair few long term friends that if i didn’t make the effort to contact them, i’d never hear from them again. I just think some people are like that. Don’t take it personally, yes it’s disappointing but that’s life. I will admit that i have purposely stopped making the effort with some just to see if they’d contact me, but no, and they faded away.

1 Like

No need to reply but I won’t be mad if anyone does. I just need to get this off my chest. And TW - this post deals with cancer and death. I’ve hidden the text for anyone that may not wish to read the content.

Click to read

Back in June, my grandfather was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. I had seen him a few days prior to his diagnosis. I then got very busy with work, and other things and I got a call from my mother towards the end of august to say that if I haven’t been to see him, I needed to go and see him as they didn’t think he had long. As soon as I could, I was down to see him. This was on the 26th August.

He was confined to his bed, and was incredibly frail. He wasn’t able to breathe properly, and would often try to speak, but it wouldn’t make any sense. I sat with him for a little while until he went to sleep and then I went back downstairs and cried. My nan was struggling and my aunt had quit her job in order to move in and help take care of them both. She was exhausted and I said that whatever help she needed, she just needed to ask. I didn’t know what to do but I let her know that I was available for anything. I had arranged to come and visit again a few days later; on the 29th. By this time, his condition had deteriorated further and he was now on oxygen and was having pain medication administered intravenously.

It was gut-wrenching to see my once strong granddad, who was stubborn, argumentative but always game for a laugh; reduced to this. I went a did some food shopping for my nan and my aunt (who had now been joined by my other aunt who was a retired nurse). I again offered my help in any other way and was told that they were OK but if there was anything, they’d let me know.

I had then planned to come down on the Wednesday; but that morning I was called by my mother to warn me not to go; as there were now 4 nurses in the house, along side my nan, 2 aunts and her - so It wouldn’t be a good idea to have 2 more people in the house, but that she would keep me updated throughout the day. at 6pm that evening, she called to say that she had just gotten home, and that he was stable and resting, and that she was going over again tomorrow and will let me know more then. At 11:47pm, she called again to say she had been told to get over ASAP and at 12:01am on the Thursday, my Aunt called to say that he had passed.

The funeral was held this past Wednesday and I’m struggling with these intense feelings of guilt. Guilt that I didn’t get over to see him sooner. Guilt over not helping out more. It’s hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. I’m keeping in touch with my aunt and I’m arranging to visit my nan soon, and often. But right now, I’m feeling like the worse grandson in the world; and my husband has told me that there was nothing more I could have done, and that I shouldn’t feel guilty for living my own life. But I just… I don’t know. I just feel terrible.

That was a bit of a long one. I’m sorry. x

2 Likes

It’s only human to feel like you could have done more, and because we never know when we are going to lose a loved one, even a terminal one, there are often things we feel we could/should have done or said.
I once missed a visit to a relative who was in hospital, intending to go a couple of days later, but they died unexpectedly, and i had the guilt hanging over me for ages.
Life is full of if’s and buts and if only’s and the fact you feel so guilty, is because you have a heart and care. I’m sure your grandad knew how much you loved him.

2 Likes