Scottish Independence

Hey everyone!
Completely unrelated but I was wondering what all your views are on the topic of whether Scotland should become independent or not.
I'm writing an essay on it for one for my modules at university and I'm needing different views and arguments for or against it.

Thank you (:

hey am totally against it, everything they have based their Yes vote campaine is based on assuptions, my OH and myself are both Farmers and i have a degree in Agriculture and we are worried at the fact that if we go independant and the EU say your not getting to join and we dont keep the pound then out industry is in deep trouble as we will loose all our funding we get from the EU, plus SNP havnt told us what they plan if the EU dont let us in and we loose the pound, hope my little rant helps you

It seems based more on prejudice and old hatred rather than any sound economic terms.

completely offtopic i love the green dress in your gallery pics shannon :)

totally agree with you perkalite, and i bet Braveheart is on the week of the vote. and the fact they have dropped the vote to 16 shows they are hopping for the imature vote yes but alot of people that have been asked in tv etc have actually said no as i know that out of all my friends very few want indapendance

I'm Scottish and have lived in SE England since 1987. Therefore, like everyone else on this small island somewhere of the coast of Europe, I'm more accurately British. There are a sufficient number of imaginary red lines on the map already: subdivision of an island to say "we're different to you" (read "we're better than you") makes me angry. Complete waste of time. Horrendous waste of money. There are 800,000 Scots living in England, and we don't get a say on vote on this, despite having recognised that this is a really small island. Luckily, I beleive that there are a majority of the five million Scots and other nationalities that reside in Scotland that can see through this "Braveheart" inspired nonsense too, and will, I dearly hope, vote this down. This even of the 16 year olds that have been given the vote!! A cynic would say this was a rather obvious ploy to get 'the kids' to vote for separation. Many freely admit they do not have the life experience to be asked such an important question. Sensible folk.

I've said that too Northern Lass. I figure Braveheart will be on every night for a fortnight before the vote. Good grief.

if we get indapendance then my partner and i have talked about moving outwith scotland either abroad or to other parts of GB

Surely you have to mention...
North Sea oil
Trident nuclear deterrent
Currency & Taxation
Unemployment
Team GB

I don't understand why scottish people feel they can only achieve national pride by trying to gain independance. Their pride is probaly far in excess of most other places on this island already :P

Life will go on but i really don't think it will be a yes vote. Whats worse is they still want to have things like the pound and all the other benefits that they used to have. If you want to go it alone, then go it alone

It's all based on uncertainty, the yes and no side.
Nobody knows what would happen for sure.
As a young Scot, I love the idea but I think it's too idealistic - thinking about a perfect, independent Scotland.
We must look at what we need rather than what we want.

Haha, thank you Perkalite!

Totally against it for the Scots (I am English).

Old prejudices are being used for political gain. Reality is the pro-manifesto is full of holes, incorrect assumptions and fundamentally skewed economic analysis. I think it would be a disaster for Scotland even with the North Sea oil. Biggest risk is the assumption they will just walk straight into the EU which is not even close to being agreed.

What a total waste of both north of the border and south's tax payers money. Get it over and done with move on. Times are tough enough without trying to divide the kingdom.

Gentle giant wrote:

What a total waste of both north of the border and south's tax payers money. Get it over and done with move on. Times are tough enough without trying to divide the kingdom.

+1 to that.