Moving away

Sorry I know I’m a pain :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::slightly_smiling_face: but Kyle really really wants to move away from Aberdeen and Scotland to move either just England or actually move abroad even just for a year or so…although I have a small family and not really any friends (literally 2 friends) so it’s not a case of me not wanting to move because of family and friends but I’m just scared to move far away from where I have pretty much always lived…

Has anyone else ever moved miles away from home or moved abroad? If so have you got any advice? Thank you :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

1 Like

@AbigailM03
@sorry im a pain… Stop doing that. Its called seeking approval !!! I know that coz thats what I do too. People find it annoying and Im learning not to do it or at least trying to do it less… I dont know where it comes from. Youre the one that thinks no one likes you but constantly asks if people do… You are not alone @AbigailM03 , but i do exactly the same thing… It just comes out !!! as for the question… its kinda up to you what you want to do…

Im sorry its just because ive always been told im a pain etc :slightly_smiling_face: so ive always just presumed im a pain haha

@AbigailM03 You need to do what is right for you, moving away can be daunting but it can also open up a lot of opportunities. I guess you just need to be sure, else you will end up resenting your partner for making you move.

It sounds like a confidence thing, believe in your own self worth. As far as I have been able to ascertain no one in this forum is judgemental.

1 Like

@AbigailM03
from your avatar I can clearly see you dont have a dick… ha ha ha… but at some point you need to get some balls. This is something to do with your upbringing I think… The parent you clung to was the submissive one maybe.

I don’t have much self confidence you’re right I never have done probably never will do just the type of person I am :woman_shrugging:t2: I don’t want to be like this

@AbigailM03
The world needs people like us mate… dont knock it !!!

2 Likes

Well it is 2023 if i want to have a dick and be a penguin I’ll be a penguin with a dick :slightly_smiling_face:

But no you’re right I don’t have a dick :joy: btw I’m not having a go at you or anything but just curious what makes you think that?

I don’t want to sound like “oh look at me so hard done by” I don’t want sympathy or anything as I’ve said before I really don’t and I understand people had it a lot worse than me…but I was bullied a bit in school and things I think that has screwed me up in terms of confidence etc

Again I don’t want to sound like “poor me” because I don’t mean it like that but I was bullied a bit and like I Said I know people had it a lot worse than me which is of course terrible but yeah just explaining why I’m not that confident at all

Everyone on here seems really nice and genuine so far I appreciate everyone talking and giving me advice and things :heart: it’s just me and my stupid brain :slightly_smiling_face::joy:

@AbigailM03
Mate…seriously you have to chill out a little and stop worrying… There is nothing wrong with you… If I’m really honest (and its only my opinion) the only thing thats wrong is that you keep asking for approval that theres nothing wrong with you… Just start a fresh and post a topic that LHF can share with you… Its really simple mate. The whole thing is about boosting self esteem and getting over adversities, awkward moments, arguments, not understanding our partners, feeling frustrated etc… Just go with the flow and share… And by the way… I really like you… you wear your heart on your sleeve and will do anything to please people… :heart:

I was bullied too… why were you bullied… I understand coz it seriously fucks with your head…

Hi @AbigailM03
I moved from England to Australia almost 11 years ago now. The world is a much, much smaller place with the help of technology. My advice is to go for it, because if you have even a hint of curiosity towards living somewhere else, if you don’t do it you may risk regretting it when it’s too late to do anything about it. Life is too short to not give things a shot.
Likewise you may regret moving, but you can always move back and say “well I tried”.
Also, it took me at least 2 years to start feeling like I was at home. And I still say “back home” when I refer to England. Happy to answer any questions you have.

6 Likes

Moved to another country for work when I was 17. It probably was the best thing I did. Brought me out-of my shell and taught me independence. Id hate to think where Id be at now (25 years later) if I had not done it.

2 Likes

I think just go for it, new adventures, new surroundings… New weather :joy::joy:
Leave the granite city, for me the world is a small place that needs exploring

1 Like

Sorry to hear you were bullied it’s the lowest of the low. They just used to give be abuse all the time calling me shitty things I know it sounds childish but it’s mentality horrible and draining. And then towards the end started pushing me around etc

It’s annoying because I actually enjoyed the learning side of school :slightly_smiling_face::woman_shrugging:t2: haha

Hi @AbigailM03 I am an oldie and have always lived in the same small area 5 miles or so. This is one of my biggest regrets in life. I never moved away for education or work. Some would say that’s a plus but I think it’s a downside as would have opened the mind more. By going abroad would also embrace different cultures as well. I would say do it when your young may be for a short time and then decide your long term future. Employment very often determines where you are though.

1 Like

@AbigailM03 only you can make this decision for you, but I will share my experience of moving far from home. At 18 I moved from Devon to Hampshire so my partner at the time could study at university. At the time this was the worst decision I could have made and it lead to a lot of bad things happening. On the other hand it made me who I am today and at aged 29 I have a wonderful relationship with a man who fully accepts me, I have good friends and I’ve been able to help my brother and sister when they moved out for university.
Now if I had stayed at home I would not have had the experiences I had, and I wouldn’t have had to deal with the trauma afterwards. I also wouldn’t have been the same person I am today, I can empathise with people because of my hardship. My experiences have made me a stronger person, it also allows me to see my partner for the gift he truly is. He is not perfect and we have our problems but he tries to be a good man, sometimes he surprises even me when I came out as Bigender to him I thought he would leave. He didn’t he still loves me just as much as he always has.
The point to my rambling is the what if will always be there. Even mistakes can leave to something wonderful in the end. Don’t ask people what they think you should do and do what’s right for you. Take your partner out of the equation will you be happy moving away from home?

2 Likes